NGD - PRS Vela

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by John C, Sep 9, 2019.

1. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

After churning through a Gibson 2019 Series SG Standard Tribute, a Fender Vintera 60s Strat and a Fender Vintera 60s Modified Strat (granted the 2 Vinteras wound up being returned to Guitar Center) I've landed with this guitar - a PRS S2 series Vela. I've had it for a couple of weeks now so I think it's going to stick.

The Vela is an "odd duck" for a PRS; the neck pickup is kind of a copy of a DeArmond pickup, and the bridge pickup is from PRS's old Starla model that's somewhat in-between a PAF humbucker and a Gretsch Filtertron (mostly a PAF-type humbucker). The bridge pickup splits nicely. With the bridge pickup split it gets pretty jangly, with the full humbucker it gets a decent classic rock tone.

The bridge is kind of cool - it's a top loading thing with Tele-esque saddles; note that it has 2 saddles compared to a Tele bridge with 3 saddles so it's probably more like a fixed-intonation wrap-tail bridge than an adjustable bridge.

Feel-wise it's a bit more Strat-feeling than a typical PRS 22-fret model but still PRS-feeling. Like all S2 models they use the "pattern regular" neck so it's a bit deeper than a Fender modern C, and it's 1 21/32" wide (in-between 1 5/8" and 1 11/16"); seems to fit my hand nicely, but we'll see as time goes by with it. All mahogany and fairly lightweight, a bit heavier than an SG but not much - just enough to keep it from being neck heavy. Very nice rosewood fingerboard, well dressed medium-jumbo frets and nicely rolled edges.

Came with the PRS gig bag - it's a nice bag, much more heavy-duty than the Fender gig bags (but not as "case like" as Gibson's vinyl "soft case").

Obligatory photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Congrats on the new guitar! Lots of interesting things going on with that model. PRS delivers a lot of quality as well.

3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats. I like the Vela I played one in a shop very recently just acoustically due to the din going on by Boy Shredder and I thought it played very nicely. It’s also almost cool

4. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

Congrats! I own an S2 Studio, so I can relate to the joy you are experiencing. That bridge looks very interesting.

MuddyDitch likes this.
  5. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Very nice guitar, John.
    Congrats!

6. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I forgot to say if there is a dark brown/red tort guard available for that guitar, I’d be very tempted if I were you....

zippofan likes this.
  7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

nice! The Vela/Mira/Starlas are the PRS models that appeal to me the most.

zippofan and rze99 like this.
  8. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Cool guitar! I like the Vela and especially this colour is real nice. I would go for the tortoise pg.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Nice acquisition!

The Vela in tobacco and the version in gray with tort have been on my short list for a while. The white is a great color too.

11. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Very nice, HNGD!
    Now that they don’t make Miras anymore the Vela is my favourite production PRS S2. I’ve only played one once but it was a very nice guitar indeed.

12. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Congrats!

The Vela is a great guitar!

13. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

2ED5538A-E970-46B7-B5D4-AFFDCEDEB5A9.jpeg I have your guitars twin brother. Love my Vela. Congrats.

14. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

Nice! I've had mine since 2015 and it's still one of my "go to" instruments. I find they "like" a bright amp setting (brings out the jangle and shimmer, which a Vela has in spades...), but YMMV. It's definitely a "does its own thing" instrument.

15. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Those are great guitars! Congrats!

16. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

The Vela, in my lowly opinion, is the best thing PRS did with design in a very long time.

They make exquisite instruments, but there's a certain cool factor missing from their brand. The Vela and Mira were pretty cool designs.

17. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Thanks everyone. I'm really enjoying the Vela so far. The neck seems to be working; that would be the only reason why this one would be leaving for the foreseeable future. I would probably keep it and just play my Mustang when my hand is acting up, then go back to the Vela after it's rehabbed.

They do have a tort guard for the Vela. Hmm; now you've got me thinking. For the moment I'm going to stick with black, but it's tempting and would look sharp on the white.

Nice collection; I always thought that those reclaimed wood semi-hollow CE24s were particularly sharp looking.

That's what I'm looking for tone-wise and why I like the Vela - you can get both chime and pretty decent crunch out of the guitar.

I'm currently running it through a Blues Jr. IV with the same settings I use for the American Performer Mustang - which it pretty much noon on all the tone controls with a little extra treble (about 1:00); I'll probably wind up bumping up the treble a little bit for the Vela. I'm also using a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 (the blue MOSFET model that they just discontinued) and it seems to be working well with the same settings as used for the Mustang, but I may get a second overdrive so I can have one set up for each guitar - I noticed that they've got a revised FD 2 v2 that has a slightly different circuit that looks interesting. I could also just wind up with a good old TS9 Tube Screamer in the mix as well.

18. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think those are great looking guitars - and white is the right color. I hope it plays and sounds as good as it looks!

I keep trying to think of "non-traditional" guitars that would be good to play funky futuristic space blues, this is a cool looking possibility.

19. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

This is the guitar that made me look at PRS website and check it out.. I think this a guitar for Non-PRS lovers.. I certainly dig it, and would love to try one!

Congrats!

20. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Nice - one of the guys we jam with in the Twangers section has one and it sounds great!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.