NGD PRS Silver Sky, Polar Blue

patman555

TDPRI Member
I spent a day with my new Silver Sky, and it feels and sounds amazing. I feel more comfortable playing this guitar than any guitar I’ve ever owned except my 1st guitar - a mid 80s Japanese Strat that I’ve played for about 35 years. Absolutely love this guitar.

Actually it’s new guitar month. I got the Vela next to it a couple of weeks ago. That one is really nice too, though I’m not a huge fan of the feel of the satin finish.

5B3CA625-E6A0-4E77-9C8A-9AAE2C24246E.jpeg
C9543A40-5629-4456-8EED-BA6D4FA2D4C6.jpeg
59A6E028-E994-41E1-9AAA-5E5D73F3D78B.jpeg

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
A super congratulations, those are fantastic guitars.
I briefly had one 3 years ago but I'm such a stickler on a flatter radius I later sold it.
Duh...

Hey, I do like the color.

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
Congrats! I really love the color! A 3+3 headstock on a strat type body will always look wrong to me, but otherwise the Silver Sky is a gorgeous guitar.

patman555

TDPRI Member
A super congratulations, those are fantastic guitars.
I briefly had one 3 years ago but I'm such a stickler on a flatter radius I later sold it.
Duh...

Hey, I do like the color.
It’s funny, but i don’t notice the radius at all. The Strat I mentioned earlier that I’ve played all my life has a 12” radius. I thought it might bother me or take getting used to, but it just feels good. This is the first 7.25” I’ve played.

patman555

TDPRI Member
After a week with the Silver Sky, my happiness with the guitar continues to increase. It just feels and sounds so good. Playing this has made me really dislike my American Professional Strat. I know part of that is the fact that the PRS is 7lbs, and the Fender is 8lbs. But the neck shape and feel is just so much better on the Silver Sky.

There were a couple of issues that at first I thought had to do with PRS quality control. The more I think about it, I wonder if the dealer, Moore Guitars, may have done this in their ‘setup’. First, the input Jack nut was completely loose so the jack was jostling around. Easy fix. Second, one of the neck bolts had jagged edges as if someone had used a power tool to tighten the screw. Another easy fix with my Dremel. There were also a couple of light scrapes on the front of the guitar, which did not look like they came from shipping. I think Moore may have switched the strings for 9s as well. It came from PRS with 10s, which is what I play. They just feel really slinky to me. Could be because it’s a different brand. I don’t know. I am uploading a couple of pics to show the bolt and what it did to the bag during shipping.

I do wonder why PRS chose such a flat finish for the neck plate. It actually feels fuzzy, and skin leaves marks on it because it is so flat. I don’t really care. It’s just an odd choice. You can also see that the finish from the plate has discolored the bag from its short time in there. The guitar left PRS shop floor or 3/5/22, and made it to my door on 3/24/22, so the discoloration happened pretty quickly.

Again, I absolutely love this guitar. It feels better than any I have ever played, and it sounds better than any Strat I’ve owned. I’m not bothered by the idiosyncrasies/flaws that I’ve come across. This is my 5th American made PRS that I’ve purchased new (I still own four - see previous pic). All are wonderful guitars, and this is the first time I’ve had things like this on a PRS. Moore Guitars offered me 10% off at Reverb to entice me to purchase the guitar in my watch list. I accepted the discount. I’m not unhappy with them, and I can’t be sure that it was them who mangled the bolt or loosened the jack nut or scraped the front. I’m not even positive the strings are 9s or that Moore changed them. There were no pick marks on the plastic cover on the pick guard, so I know it wasn’t played at the dealer. Anyway, I’m very happy with the guitar and glad I got it. I intend to play and abuse this for 35 years like my first Strat.

Attachments

• IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 13

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
I hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine. It is fantastic and after a year and a half playing it for probably a thousand hours, I love it more each day. Really weird about the plate. Mine hasn't left any mark in the case except for a faint outline but nothing like yours.

Love the polar blue! Mine is Dodgem blue.

PRS.jpg

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Congratulations on owning the best bolt on guitar ever made! I love mine more every day. I got it back in early September, and since that day, it’s been the only electric guitar I’ve taken to a gig. I simply have no desire to play anything else.

Your strings might be 10’s. These guitars feel super slinky and bouncy. What I call the “boing” factor is HUGE. Mine feels way slinkier than my MIA Strat with identical strings on both of them. It also feels like I have to push bends further on the Fender to get them to pitch. Weird. But fine by me.

My neck plate has not discolored my bag at all.

I’m currently in negotiations with the CFO to purchase a second one next year. I figure I should have a backup because I seriously have no desire to play any other electric guitar. I love my MIA Strat. But every time I put it down and pick the SS back up, it’s painfully obvious that they just aren’t even close to being in the same league.

patman555

TDPRI Member
That Dodgem blue is really nice. That was actually my original choice. I’m very happy with the polar blue, but that is really nice looking too.

This has also been the only one I’m playing. I keep trying every other guitar I own, but none feel so good, so I put them down and go back to the Silver Sky. It just inspires me to keep playing. I hope you’re right about the 10s. I haven’t changed them yet. I keep 9s on one of my Teles. Those definitely feel lighter. These don’t feel like 9s. The guitar just feels more slinky and bouncy as you described it. I’ll find out soon when I change strings.

I had planned to sell my MIA Strat if I loved this, which I do. Now I love it so much, I am thinking about getting a second… because everyone needs a maple and a rosewood, right?

dreamingtele

Poster Extraordinaire
Congrats. Thats a lovely color!!

The SS may probably be just what the Strat wants to be when it grows up.

I love the 7.25 + vintage frets on AVRI/AV models and it really feels great, and when I tried the SS, its just even better. Lol.

Good thing I already have a great strat so im not GAS’ng for these!

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
Congrats, and I’m glad it’s working for you! The consensus really does seem to be building that the Silver Sky is as good as a Strat can be. I’d rather have that Vela though, I think that’s an original PRS design that really really works (including the satin finishes)… but it doesn’t get them the column-inches that an Improved Strat does!