NGD-PRS SE Soapbar II w/Fralins....

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Davo17, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

Thanks! Would you believe it sounds even better than it looks?:cool:

2. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

So I got my SE back today, with its upgrades all centered around getting all of the tonal options I could out of this guitar. I got the guitar at a great price, but it arrived damaged. I was able to negotiate a partial refund-which funded this project.

[​IMG]

-It turns out the great neck had been buffed out and was no longer the stock gloss, but rather matte and very low friction. It turned out to be a great modification.

[​IMG]

-The nut, was not stock and it turns out poorly cut. My buddy who is also my tech found that someone had in a very primitive manner attempted to slot the nut. The truss rod cover was damaged at that time, and reversed, which is how it arrived to me. It was fixed and polished up, now its nice and slick.

-The frets were polished.

-The action was set per my preference at medium-high with 11-49's, with a slight bit of relief.

-The guitar came with underwound fralins p90's, with an output of 6 K at the neck and 7K at the bridge. This is cool because it retains top end clarity while pushing the amp, the reason for getting P90's in the first place!

[​IMG]

-A 6-way rotary switch replaced the stock 3 way toggle. This allows all stock pup selections plus series/parallel out of phase, and parallel in phase. This covers a huge range of tones, from nearly fender tele-ish tones to a humbucker. I measured output between 3K and 12K and a huge variation in tone. Im looking forward to trying out these new options in several amps. This required adding additional wiring to the stock pups. It came out great.

-A Fender TBX tone control, modified to be more pronounced in its effect was installed. At midway open, the tone pot is out of circuit like a no-load pot. Rolled back from there, it functions as a normal tone control. Rolled open from the center, a bass cut feature is slowly introduced. The schematic is similar to this cool mod...

[​IMG]

-The volume pot was replaced with a push pull pot for switchable 1950's/Fezz Parka wiring. This is a cool option as I have found in other guitars that I prefer some pup combos with 50's wiring and others without. 50's wiring is a bit brighter in general, and the tone and volumes become very interactive in cool ways. With the volume rolled back, there is actually a slight mid-cut, and a bit of treble bypass not seen in stock wiring. I find it most useful in shaping the way an amp overdrives, but clean tones certainly benefit as well. Its certainly nice to have and helps keep things interesting.

[​IMG]

Its come out great and I look forward to really getting it dialed in and rockin it.

[​IMG]

3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Looked at a bone stock version of the same guitar yesterday.

Cream-colored P90's w/ something written on them , big neck, really light.

What are some things I should look out for ?

What's the market rate for a used one w/ a massively padded PRS gig bag ?

A friend of a friend is a is asking $200 but I think he'd take $175

4. Swingbass

Swingbass TDPRI Member

Eskimo: Buy it even at $200.00 as that's a good price IMO. I have a stock one and really like it. The stock P90's are pretty decent. They're good enought that you can get the guitar and replace them when the mod bug hits you. It's not essential to change them out thinking they're cheapo or anything like that. I am a mod nut and I've kept them in for a year or so sinec I bought it. That's a long time for me to not mod a guitar.

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Cool - that's good to know.

But - my first mod wouldn't be the pickups or very popular : a rattle can Reranch redo :eek:

6. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

300-350 seem to be what I found. On occasion, I will see a humbucker SE go for 250.

So your prices seem great actually.

7. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

This thing is a lead machine! :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.