NGD: PRS McCarty 594

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The story behind this one goes back to June of last year. I had decided that I wanted to get a nice PRS, but it had to be exactly what I wanted. I eventually narrowed it down to two choices-a Custom 24-08 in Charcoal Cherry Burst, or a McCarty 594 in Dark Cherry Burst. I had chatted with the owner of my local shop a couple of times regarding special orders, pricing, etc, and eventually decided on the 24-08, which I absolutely love.

Fast forward to a few months ago, and I'm in the store to buy strings or something else small, and the owner commented that he had just ordered a McCarty for the store-in Dark Cherry Burst. With a 10 top. My wallet magically jumped out of my pocket, and I put a down payment on it. Over the ensuing time I have been stopping in regularly to make additional payments, and today was the day for the final one.

Although they both have the same body shape, they are night and day different guitars. The Custom has a Pattern Thin neck, tremolo bridge, 25" scale, and modern 85/15 pickups. The McCarty has a Pattern Vintage neck, stopbar/tune-o-matic bridge, the shorter 25.594" scale, and very vintage 58/15LT (low turn) pickups. The body is also slightly thicker than the Custom, but it's still very lightweight (I'm guessing under 8lbs)

I spent the day with it, and though it took a little bit to acclimate myself to the fatter neck (and dial in my amp for the different pickups), It was definitely worth the wait.

IMG_2710.jpeg

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Looks like a tiger
Congratulations
Do people put chains on their wallets to prevent this jumping you mentioned

MrGibbly

Tele-Afflicted
The story behind this one goes back to June of last year. I had decided that I wanted to get a nice PRS, but it had to be exactly what I wanted. I eventually narrowed it down to two choices-a Custom 24-08 in Charcoal Cherry Burst, or a McCarty 594 in Dark Cherry Burst. I had chatted with the owner of my local shop a couple of times regarding special orders, pricing, etc, and eventually decided on the 24-08, which I absolutely love.

Fast forward to a few months ago, and I'm in the store to buy strings or something else small, and the owner commented that he had just ordered a McCarty for the store-in Dark Cherry Burst. With a 10 top. My wallet magically jumped out of my pocket, and I put a down payment on it. Over the ensuing time I have been stopping in regularly to make additional payments, and today was the day for the final one.

Although they both have the same body shape, they are night and day different guitars. The Custom has a Pattern Thin neck, tremolo bridge, 25" scale, and modern 85/15 pickups. The McCarty has a Pattern Vintage neck, stopbar/tune-o-matic bridge, the shorter 25.594" scale, and very vintage 58/15LT (low turn) pickups. The body is also slightly thicker than the Custom, but it's still very lightweight (I'm guessing under 8lbs)

I spent the day with it, and though it took a little bit to acclimate myself to the fatter neck (and dial in my amp for the different pickups), It was definitely worth the wait.

View attachment 802541
I love what PRS is doing these days. The combination of the "gold" and "silver" on the hardware looks fantastic with certain finishes (like yours!).

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I love what PRS is doing these days. The combination of the "gold" and "silver" on the hardware looks fantastic with certain finishes (like yours!).

That's an option, they call it "Hybrid Hardware". I ordered it for the other one, and the owner either remembered our discussions well, or it was a "push me over the edge" coincidence. I'm not a fan of gold hardware due to how easily it wears off, but PRS uses bare brass for all the accents, so it's not going to have any wear issues.

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Looks like a tiger
Congratulations
Do people put chains on their wallets to prevent this jumping you mentioned

I'm thinking I might need to consider something along those lines, though this purchase scratched that one remaining itch I had. Hopefully I'm set for a decade or so....