1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD: Prestige NYS Standard

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Drew617, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

Say hey,

I just picked up this guitar from a local jazz teacher this morning. Great guy and got to talk Frisell, Scofield and Joni Mitchell for a while. I don't always have time or inclination to seek conversation with strangers so it's nice to fall into a good one.

I polished it and changed out the flats it came with immediately, but this guitar sounds and plays fantastic. It's got a relatively flat radius (my preference) and Duncan P90s which I haven't played before. I'm a huge fan of even bad P90s, but these pickups in this body are both the woodiest and most articulate I've played. Really nice. Finish, fretwork and the neck are flawless. There is always some honeymoon but this is a really inspiring, lively guitar to play.

Prestige was previously unknown to me, they're Canadian and somewhat cagey on their website about where their guitars are "made." Reading between the lines I would guess it's Canadian design and maybe materials, assembled in Korea, and set up or otherwise "finished" again in Canada. I really can't justify a Gibson or Heritage ES-type, and have cycled through enough Artcores already, so had been shopping Peerless and Eastman and that class.

Cheers,
    Drew

[​IMG]

2. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

That guitar is a beauty!

Based in Vancouver, here in Canada, Prestige really make some great guitars.

I think you are close in describing how they are built, with the folks here selecting choice woods and components, which are then shipped overseas, before returning to Canada for final finishing work. Their end products are beautifully constructed and the guitars are certainly high end, and yet are available at affordable prices.

I have owned a couple and just love them.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Drew617 likes this.
  3. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Here are a couple of photos of my Prestige 'Standard'.

upload_2020-10-26_9-18-30.jpeg upload_2020-10-26_9-18-30.jpeg upload_2020-10-26_9-18-30.jpeg SS

The solid body guitar weighs in at 9lbs 3oz., with its mahogany body and neck, with an upper body slab of ¾ inch carved Canadian 'AAA' quilted maple, all finished with a 3ply binding.
    The pickups in the Prestige "Standard" are SD '59 Humbuckers in the neck position and a JB pickup in the bridge position.

Overall an excellent guitar.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  4. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

those are great looking guitars.

5. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

Good to hear your experience, thanks! I am typically not into instruments that are flashy or gilded, so the notable thing to me about very good instruments to me is that they sort of disappear. The notes fall to hand easily, the fretwork's perfect which means it's unremarkable, it doesn't sound in ways I don't expect. So far, this guitar sounds very nice and otherwise disappears for me, which is great.

6. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

That is gorgeous. How do you like the JB? I've used it with the Jazz HB neck in a couple guitars, but in hindsight I think it's because I'm "supposed to," that combo never actually felt like a good balance to me. I like the Jazz on its own but it sounds decidedly not like a normal humbucker to me, more like an SDS-1 or something.

7. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Hey Drew...........The Prestige feels nicely balanced to me. I am not a player by any stretch of my imagination, but it does do what I expect it to do, with some pleasant and distinct tonal offerings. A well set up guitar that's easy to enjoy.

I find the SD range of HB's to be pleasantly tasty, although of late I have been enjoying a guitar I have with a pair of Bare Knuckle Peter Green Blues HB's on board. Another awesome addition to my library of tonal gems.

As I say however, I am not a great player, but these guitars still give me the goosebumps!

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.