NGD: Porsche Blue "Keefish" Style from lesser known builder

wrxplayer

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
I saw this guitar on TGP. Had never heard of the builder - D'Avanzo - but research indicated (a) owners of his guitars love them, (b) it's Keef style, which is my favorite setup, and (c) it looked REALLY COOL, and (d) it was local. So I took a ride to Staten Island and picked it up yesterday. Research also indicated the builder makes mostly 80's style super strats and shredders. I think he used to work for Charvel. https://davanzoguitars.com/

Plugged the guitar in when I got home and it sounds nice. I'm a fan of the pickups in it - Dimarzio PAF and Hot T - and the sound nice. Weight is very reasonable and balance is good. Love the Hipshot tuners too.

And damn does it look good! Versatile and unique and bold: the perfect combination for gigging.

Specs and pics below.
SPECS:
  • BODY STYLE: 1942 aka JD
  • BODY WOOD: 1pc swamp ash
  • HEEL: Traditional w/ neck plate
  • BODY FINISH: Porsche Gentian Blue Metallic
  • NECK WOOD: Quartersawn maple
  • SCALE LENGTH: 25.5"
  • NECK SHAPE: C .850" - .890"
  • NUT WIDTH: 1 11/16"
  • FRETS: Jescar nickel
  • NECK FINISH: Oil
  • HEADSTOCK FINISH: Natural
  • TUNERS: Hipshot
  • BRIDGE: modern 6 saddle tele bridge
  • BRIDGE PICKUP: DiMarzio Area Hot T
  • NECK PICKUP: DiMarzio PAF Master
  • CONTROLS: 250K volume, 250K tone, 3-way switch
  • WEIGHT: 7lbs 8oz
  • Mono Case
vYhi67k.jpg

0AlJeQg.jpg

L9qGVcj.jpg

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
I have no doubt that it's a great player. But the offset shape does nothing for me, I'm afraid.

I used to have a Squier tele that colour, or very similar. I don't know what they called it. But it didn't look as nice as yours.

wrxplayer

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
How offset is it? The middle photo looks quite extreme, but the other two look not too different to a standard Tele shaped body?

Great colour!
The answer, I believe, is not very much. The pickguard has a slant to it. That, together with the tummy carve, makes it look more offset than it is. I understand the builder has a thing for race cars, which is the origin of the slanted pickguard.

Here are two pictures of it between two more traditional T style bodies (one by K-Line and the other LeClair):
Byq8bJg.jpg

cA4oAF9.jpg

shallbe

Tele-Meister
The answer, I believe, is not very much. The pickguard has a slant to it. That, together with the tummy carve, makes it look more offset than it is. I understand the builder has a thing for race cars, which is the origin of the slanted pickguard.

Here are two pictures of it between two more traditional T style bodies (one by K-Line and the other LeClair):
Byq8bJg.jpg

cA4oAF9.jpg
Nice!

What do you think about the LeClair guitar?

wrxplayer

TDPRI Member
Silver Supporter
Nice!

What do you think about the LeClair guitar?
I prefer the K-Line, but I think it's because it's got a lot of play and feels more worn in. As far as fit and finish goes, the LeClair is the equal of any tele I've owned except perhaps a Fender CS (this includes (K-Line, John Page Custom, Rutters, Sweetwood, the new D'Avanzo, and more).

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
I have no doubt that it's a great player. But the offset shape does nothing for me, I'm afraid.

I used to have a Squier tele that colour, or very similar. I don't know what they called it. But it didn't look as nice as yours.

How offset is it? The middle photo looks quite extreme, but the other two look not too different to a standard Tele shaped body?

Great colour!
Doesn’t look offset to all to me, the waist is parallel

The upper horn is extended and It’s got a “butt” to it that is giving it an illusion

Edit:I see @wrxplayer touched on this

Interesting guitar

Last edited: