NGD, Player Tele, upgrades pending

Johnny Dubs

Tele-Meister
Platinum Supporter
One year old, no fret wear, barely a scratch on the pick guard, but the board and frets were filthy! It also had very high (like, HIGH) action and some nasty buzz on the treble side.

Culprit? Neck pickup. I have no idea why that was raised so much but I lowered it and the saddles (those by 75%, at least.)

I’ve only roughed out the setup so far- will do the whole bit this weekend- but the relief seems fine, the pickups sound as expected, and the action is exactly where I want it.

Almost half of retail, 7.6lbs, and crazy resonant.

I strung it w 11s and decided it’s going to be a growler. Looking into pickups, gonna replace the tuners, as well.

It’s a keeper.

Attachments

• D8BA451F-71E1-4975-9875-7A0FD9CD59B7.jpeg
    D8BA451F-71E1-4975-9875-7A0FD9CD59B7.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 37

Johnny Dubs

Tele-Meister
Platinum Supporter
I am not well-versed in pickups, suggestions/knowledge are both solicited and appreciated.

Southpaw Tele

Friend of Leo's
I have a Player Tele and went with Dimarzio pickups. Chopper T in the bridge and Area T in the neck. Noiseless and great for rock. I changed my tuners out for Klusons and the bridge for a 3 barrel.

Chipss36

Tele-Holic
I really like the nocaster 51s, and think they are a great value.

that said, don mares blackguards I like even more in a maple neck tele.

here is a used set of used cs 51’s , at a decent price. Free shipping even.

Johnny Dubs

Tele-Meister
Platinum Supporter
Clipped a tuner to the case (I evicted my strat, it can have a gig bag.)

Crazy resonant.

Attachments

• 847570CD-4277-455E-8A09-9F83B442E0C1.jpeg
    847570CD-4277-455E-8A09-9F83B442E0C1.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 23

Johnny Dubs

Tele-Meister
Platinum Supporter
I really like the nocaster 51s, and think they are a great value.

that said, don mares blackguards I like even more in a maple neck tele.

here is a used set of used cs 51’s , at a decent price. Free shipping even.

I have to admit I like the idea of Fender parts, in general- I’ll check these out.

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
Can you tell me what about using 11s makes it a growler? At standard pitch a thinner sting produces more fundamental and bottom end. Are you downtuning this one?

Johnny Dubs

Tele-Meister
Platinum Supporter
Can you tell me what about using 11s makes it a growler? At standard pitch a thinner sting produces more fundamental and bottom end. Are you downtuning this one?
Still in trial/error mode (I may have mentioned that elsewhere lol) but I see incomplete and missing info in my post.

I am tuning down, but the heavier stings are mostly for my hand- I can hear a difference unplugged between the strings on my baritone (light, 13s) and on my teles but I am, in a word, sloppy on 10s.

I’m working on it but my fingers are strong and I’m mostly a drummer.

Gretsch Jet, LP, or SG with 10s? No worries, obvious common denominator (unless I’m missing something fundamental. That could be the case.)

I’m have my bari tuned down A to A stil, though not about feel, and my other MIM to standard.

All of them are nearly flat. I’m sure raising some could help my slop but the lower action helps my flow. I’m learning, and actually getting better.

Nickel wound D’addario on the baritone, DR pure blues nickel on the others. Is that part of muh tonez? No idea yet but I’m chasing something and it won’t get me arrested so I’m just going with it.

The growl? The feeling is making me play differently, think differently. I’m pretty affected by my senses. True story: I tried to write songs for years and they all came out country. I blame my takamine and my parents equally.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk. Feedback/advice/red herrings welcome.

Seriously, I have nobody else to talk to about these things and have found some great advice on the forum.

Attachments

• A3926213-D7CD-4F87-9C04-92B1A3F76179.jpeg
    A3926213-D7CD-4F87-9C04-92B1A3F76179.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 17