1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD Player Series Duo Sonic SS

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by sloppychops, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I played this and the hs when they first came out and I loved them both. Great feeling and sounding guitars!

2. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

You can't wrangle the bar like on a Strat. But, I only use them on any guitar to put some sweet vibrato on a sustained note or chord. But, even only used that way, it takes a lighter touch on the Mustang than on a Strat, or it'll go out of tune, especially since I use 9s. I should probably put 10s on the Mustang.

3. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

If you haven't seen this one yet, this guy does a great demo.

Fendereedo and SecretSquirrel like this.
  4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

He does well done Squier CV comparisons too

5. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

If you're just going for those light warbles, try using outside edge of your palm on the "hot dog."

DougM likes this.
  6. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

Try Daddario 10.5s. They work really well with the 24" scale. Not too heavy, not too light.

DougM likes this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mr. Alvin used a Mustang with the Blasters before getting a Strat later on. I actually modded my VM Mustang as a tribute of sorts to his guitar. Had a real mid 60s pickguard and trem, with Buddha early 60s spec Mustang pickups. It had a nice clubby neck.

Fender has messed up naming conventions with their new lineups. The difference is almost inconsequential to FMIC marketing.
    D00D7C81-8EAA-4251-8B19-6F83BD933F7E.jpeg

donrichfan likes this.
  8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Looks great!

9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Meister

Sharp! Good call on the color.

10. Mojohand40

Mojohand40 Tele-Afflicted

Congrats! I was gassing big time for one of those in the exact same color. Ended up getting a mustang instead, but still keep checking those duosonics on reverb.
    Enjoy! If I didn't have so many (too many?) Guitars currently, I would get one of those. Love the color and pickguard.

11. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Always loved these little guitars, OP: yours is just stunning.

Unfortunatly I am too tall to even think of playng a 24" scale guitar, it'd look a toy. Period. How cool they are...

12. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

There's always the Jaguar!

13. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Holic

Looking good there! I have the Squier version. I haven't played it for a while though. The sounds are very stratty, just a little smoother. The in between quack is just right. When I first got it, it was like ok, this is what a strat feels like to someone with big hands. The short scale does change the way you play. You can do things you can't do on 25.5 scale guitar.

On the other hand the short scale makes it harder to play up the neck. I guess my favourite would be a F style with G scale length. It would be the perfect compromise for me.

Have fun with it!

14. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I love the Desert Sand/anodized pickguard combination, it just looks right. I went for the Squier CV Duo Sonic a few years ago, got a good deal used. I installed Duncan Antiquities, a bone nut and Glendale compensated grooved saddles and it's my "desert island" guitar. The tone is just beautiful and it's very easy to play.

Congrats on your new guitar!

duosonicFull.jpg

sloppychops and BorderRadio like this.
  15. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Congrats! It's a beautiful guitar.

16. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

I liked those CV versions when they came out, except for the tummy cut in the back. I think the Player Series version I have should have come with the vintage style tuners with white plastic buttons like yours has, though.

I've considered the Antiquities pickups, but really don't see a huge need for them. The stock pickups sound fine.

17. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I know, but I have already bought an AV64 telecaster and am actually waiting for an AV65 stratocaster to be delivered, so I should just sit down and play for some time, I guess

18. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I’m curious if you or anyone else who has played both models can reflect on the ergonomic differences. Most people don’t notice that the lower bout on the duo is closer to the neck than on the mustang. So, in other words, the mustang sits more evenly on your leg when playing sitting and the fretboard doesn’t feel as cramped up close to your body as on the duo.

I am equally attracted to both guitars and since fender has removed the trem and sliders from the mustang in this series, this ergonomic difference is really the most important thing to consider.

Other than of course the color choices!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.