1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD Player Series Duo Sonic SS

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by sloppychops, Feb 20, 2021.

1. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

A few years ago, I bought a Squier Mustang off Craigslist and found a used G&G Mustang sized case at a local store. Sold the Mustang, but kept the case thinking one day I'd have a use for it.

Well, now I have a use for it. This Duo Sonic arrived yesterday:

IMG_1691.jpg

Desert Sand is one of my favorite Fender colors, and it looks so good with a gold pick guard.

IMG_1692.jpg

The bridge pickup has spank and snarl like a Tele. With the treble turned up, you'd almost think it was a Tele. The neck pickup gets close to a jazz box tone with the treble rolled back. With both pickups, it can approximate a Knopfler-esque Strat tone pretty well. At 7 lbs 2 oz, weight is a little on the heavy side for one of these, but not bad at all. No neck dive at all.

You either like 24" scale guitars or you don't. I like them, but the scale length seems to cause some intonation problems. The low E was way off on this one. I had to move the saddle back almost as far as it will go to get that string to intonate well enough that chords with open strings don't sound wonky. Still has the .10 gauge strings that came with it, but I'll be putting .11s on it at first string change.

Fit and finish is excellent. No sharp fret ends, frets nicely polished. The back of the neck has a satin finish, but the fretboard is glossy. Seems like it should have had a satin finish on the fretboard, but that would probably look out of place with the glossy body.

The only fault I've found is a metallic buzz that occurs when playing the low E. It stops if I lightly touch the string just behind the nut. I suspect the string is not seated well in the nut slot, but don't know how to sort this out. Can't hear it when it's plugged in, though.

Overall, I'm duly impressed with this iteration of the Duo Sonic. Besides the low E string issue, the only gripes are that it didn't come with vintage style split shaft tuners and white plastic tuning keys, there are no felt washers under the strap pegs, and the volume pot doesn't have much sweep.

If you like small, short scale guitars, or think you might want to try one, this is a worthy contender.

ale.istotle, Dan R, zippofan and 24 others like this.
  2. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, that's a cool instrument, I was thinking about getting one of those myself.

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. REWTX

REWTX Tele-Meister

Nice! I have almost pulled the trigger on one of these a couple times. Thanks to this thread, I may have to get one now!

Fendereedo likes this.
  4. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Great color. Looks like a Dave Alvin guitar. Or was that a Mustang... not sure the differences.
    Anyway, congrats!

BorderRadio and Fendereedo like this.
  5. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

That’s nice all it needs is a 3 saddle hardtail bridge ;)

Fendereedo and Willie Johnson like this.
  6. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

Yeah, I like that idea. The Squier Duo Sonic came with a 3-saddle bridge and vintage style tuners. I think Fender should have gone that route, too. Oddly, though, the Squier version had a tummy cut on the back.

zippofan, Fendereedo and Fretting out like this.
  7. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

That looks like a standard hardtail bridge. Weren't the originals top-loaders? A Rutters Burrito bridge might work well if the string spacing is correct.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    Fendereedo likes this.
  8. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

There was one that colour hanging at my local a while back. I kept staring at it with puppy dog eyes, but they wouldn’t take pity on me and give it to me.

Congrats, that’s a nice guitar!

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

Nice looking instrument. I really liked the player series Mustang I tried; neck felt perfect to me.

Fendereedo likes this.
  11. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

That looks great. I played some recent Duo-Sonic reissue several years ago that was surf green with white pickguard, as I recall...just grabbed it off the wall on a lark and ended up loving how snappy and responsive it played. Have fun!

Fendereedo likes this.
  12. cdwillis

cdwillis Tele-Meister

That's a nice guitar. I have a Player series Mustang and it's my favorite guitar. I liked the stock pickups in mine, but I put Lace Sensors in (Purple in the bridge and Emerald in the neck) because the crappy electrical wiring noise in my house is brutal on single coils.

Fendereedo likes this.
  13. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very cool. Congratulations.

Fendereedo likes this.
  14. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I had the Surf Green one with a PF board, but I sold it and got a CV Mustang, 'cause I wanted the vibrato and phase switches DSCN0626.JPG DSCN0817.JPG

15. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very nice! And terrific photos, by the way!

I'm sold—especially after seeing this Fender demo:

At $650, I'll have to wait while to pull any triggers on one, but it has great appeal for me.

16. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

Congrats!

Fendereedo likes this.
  17. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I've had 3, but the short scale on both these and the Mustang, just don't work for me, even though I have a Jaguar. OP, yours is fantastic, loving the colour too, had a 60th anniversary strat in that colour. Hngd to you.

sloppychops likes this.
  18. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Looks nice, I do like the colour. Congrats. Sounds like the nut needs cutting properly though. Might fix the intonation as well. I've got one of those Squier Mustangs myself and am a fan of the short scale. Fun guitar.

19. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

I've owned two of the Vintage Modified Mustangs and both were really nice, but I just didn't like the tone and the trem was not very good. One thing I liked a lot, though, was the ability to add subtle warbles just by using my hand on the "hot dog" part of the trem unit. I saw a guy in a youtube video do this and was surprised how useful it is.

20. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

Yeah, Desert Sand is such a nice, innocuous color. Seriously, though, I love this color and wonder why it isn't offered on more Fenders. The only thing outside of CS models that it was available on recently was the all rosewood neck American Professional last year. It goes so well with both maple fretboards and with rosewood.

Fendereedo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.