NGD: Player Plus Tele

NW_TELE

TDPRI Member
Had no definite plans to pick up a new guitar but because i had recently won a $500 GC from work to Amazon, I decided what the heck (yes i ordered a guitar off Amazon lol, usually use Sweetwater). Every time I had been to GC recently i noticed i was reaching for and playing their Player Plus Tele's a lot. The neck and comfort of the guitar being a big reason. I also noticed the consistency and playable seemed to translate through the few they had.

So far i have only played it for about 30 minutes. The guitar is setup surprisingly good. Neck relief is spot on as is the action. Intonation is a little off and ill be adjusting that soon. The finish is clean and everything is straight (more so than my American Performer is / was). There is a touch less resonance when playing unplugged when compared to my Performer, but the Performers action is notable higher. Im pretty surprised how low the action can go on the Plus without any buzz. Fret ends are perfect with nothing sharp. I REALLY like the tummy cut and always have on Tele's. The 3 way switch cap was loose and partially broken inside so it wouldn't stay on tight. I had an extra new one laying around so that fixed that. Pots seems a little looser / easier when turning than the Performers (prefer the Performers resistance). Neck is a nice satin as is the fretboard, but its not quite as quick feeling as the Performers (a touch stickier).

Plugged in i only have about 10 minutes on. Neck pickup sounds quite good, but i definitely prefer the Yosemite in the bridge. Down the road i may swap out for something else (maybe a set of Yosemites as i really like those). Ill give it some time though as these are my first noiseless pickups.

Overall, first impressions are quite good. The different radius and frets does make it feel quite different to my Performer. And the color is more a copper in person which i like. Ill be reporting back after i dig into it a bit more :).

Attachments

• IMG_4933.jpg
    IMG_4933.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 107

NW_TELE

TDPRI Member
After setting the intonation i noticed some of the saddle screws slip into the bridge screw hole / pocket. Anyone experience this? This is a 4 screw bridge.. The only thing i can think of is to get flat top bridge mounting screws. Any info is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4934 copy.jpg
    IMG_4934 copy.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 86

NW_TELE

TDPRI Member
Doesn’t affect anything.
I didn’t even notice it until you posted this.
Just something i noticed when setting it up. As the saddle screws that fall into the cavity aren't sitting flush against a flat surface and seem a bit easier to loosen. I just plan on leaving for now and addressing if need be later.

Legba-1967

TDPRI Member
Nice! Congrats. I have the Player Plus Nashville Tele and I love it. It plays and sounds amazing. Get yourself a nice tube amp if you don’t have one. Mine sounds great through my Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb.

_dave_

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I have the same model bought in Nov ‘21.
I have the same bridge screw issue but have no problems with it.
Ive been dialing mine in and it is a great guitar. Love the neck and rib cut.
Congratulations - enjoy!

NW_TELE

TDPRI Member
Im starting to think this could look sweet with a Parchment or Mint guard. I dont mind the Tortoise but im thinking an off white could look even better :). Got a little more play time on her and the neck is where the guitar really shines. Pickups are ok, the neck is good but i dont love the bridge. The tone knob i prefer in the Performer and the way its attenuates the highs (grease bucket i think is what its called?). I may swap for that down the line if i do a pickup swap. I dont see myself really using the push pull knob.

IMG_4941.jpg

dougv

TDPRI Member
I got the same guitar in January and noticed how the the saddle screws on big E rest on the bridge screw. I thought that was a odd design choice by Fender. This is my third tele I have owned ,Classic vibe, partcaster I built. Gotta roll back the tone or I think it’s too bright through a fender pro junior. But through a Nobles ODR-1 overdrive it gets all kinda of good thick overdrive, and rock tones.The phase switch on the tone control is cool too.