1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD Patrick Eggle Berlin

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sir humphrey, Dec 13, 2016.

1. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Just got my hands on this beauty - a 1993 "legendary era" Patrick Eggle, custom build.

I needed a new guitar, for a new project I'm involved in, that was really versatile and could cover Gibson and Fender territory and everything from twang to metal.

Was just about to spend £stupid on a PRS when this presented itself.

I knew about the early 90s Eggles from a guitarist I've worked with and so didn't need much persuading - plus the fact that it cost 30% of what the PRS was selling for helped!

It is - in all aspects - better than the PRS (which I'd already put a deposit on). And playing my Les Paul after playing this makes me want to cry about how much I spent on it.

Ridiculously undervalued guitars - simply because no one famous ever played them. Probably the best made electric guitar I've owned.

[​IMG]

TMMC, uriah1 and Jim W like this.
  2. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

Nice guitar, man. It is very PRS like, isn't it. Too bad that you'd committed to the PRS, hopefully you get a decent re-sale price.

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Never heard of these. And that's weird. I've seen a lot of guitars!

Looks sweet. Congrats!

Jimclarke100 likes this.
  4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Glad you found what like! Just one question: Is each of the fret marker inlays supposed to be a Canadian sperm?

sir humphrey likes this.
  5. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

I've never seen one in person, but I've always thought the Eggle guitars looked great. Bruce Watson (of Big Country) played a couple Eggles on the 'Final Fling' DVD, including a cool Tele-inspired model.

6. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Tele-Holic

Congrats on your "new" Berlin Plus -- and enjoy!

Was always interested in trying out an Eggle New York Broadway model, but have never gotten to see one in person...

[​IMG]

7. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

Great guitar! Always liked the Falling Leaves inlays... I totally agree with the PRS comparison too.

Here are a couple of pics of the '95 Pro-V Berlin I used to have... The shiny shiny group shot is a PRS McCarthy, Framus customshop Diablo and the Berlin. Sadly, all now moved on.

Attached Files:

8. sir humphrey

9. sir humphrey

Looks very cool- not seen one of those before, now I want to!

10. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Nice guitar. I have a New York, which I picked up about five years ago, with a small light body, baseball bat like bolt on neck, and through body stringing it is quite Tele like. I've played and liked a Berlin or two, but managed to avoid temptation so far.

11. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Back in 2000 I spent 2 days with Patrick Eggle in his workshop being taught guitar tech stuff. We refretted my Strat and routed stuff, cut nuts etc etc. I'm glad to report that he's a great guy and builds superb guitars.

Cat MacKinnon likes this.
  12. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Remember watching Big Jim Sullivan playing round of our local pubs back in the early 90's and his main squeeze at the time was an Eggle - possibly A Berlin, or maybe a Jim Sullivan signature model - don't remember now. Just remember he made the guitar look tiny, and sing like you wouldn't believe....

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

14. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Wonderful guitars, I've only played a couple of the lower end models but they really are superb.

15. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Beautiful!
    Patrick Eggle did at least one guitar with Danny O'brian (of Zemaitis fame). I beLieve our was a guitar for Gilby Clark but can find no reference to it now.
    I have an Eggle wrap - around bridge that I've been saving for a special build, but am still looking for that picture of the black LP Jr with 3 humbuckers and an engraved disk pickguard.
    Sorry for the hijack.
    You did great with that guitar.

16. El34tube1

El34tube1 TDPRI Member

I also had a beautiful Patrick Eggle Berlin vintage classic in red back when there factory was in coventry, Bodmin rd.
    I remember taking a factory tour before I took ownership of this fantastic guitar.
    It had 5a quilted maple top on a Honduras mahogany 1 piece body, brazilian rosewood fingerboard & mother of pearl diamond fret markers. The pups were seymour duncan seth lovers.
    It looked & played amazing & guess what? I sold it for a les Paul!
    I've never seen another 1 & regret it till this day!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.