NGD...part 2

fretknot

Tele-Meister
Well, the new '50s Vintera Modified showed up today. Some initial thoughts...

Packaging was outstanding. It turns out that this seller is a division of Sweetwater, with a different name. I had no idea when I was bidding on it. Their attention to detail is good.

I like the new Fender 21-fret roasted maple neck, it's not the original but I like that it's set up with staggered locking tuners. I think I prefer them over the vintage style tuners, simply for the fact that the ratio is 18:1 vs. 15:1. Vintage style are great, but these are in another class. Not sure yet about the shiny finish on the fretboard.

The pickups sound wonderful - articulate, full, present. Not yet in love with the modified 4-way wiring with the series position, or push-push out of phase feature on the S1 volume pot. I'm comfortable with the familiar 3-way switch. I will give it some time. I have the parts on hand to set it up as a traditional Tele. Other than that, I think some additional shielding will be beneficial.

I can't complain about the fit and finish. Daphne Blue is a great color, and I've decided to leave the black guard on. This looks so much better in person than it did on the eBay listing. Overall, I am pleased with this purchase. It will take a little time to explore the potential, but I have plenty of that.

The verdict: It's a keeper, even if I have to break out the soldering iron.

P_20221031_151307_vHDR_Auto~2.jpg

Last edited:

pippoman

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Well, the new '50s Vintera Modified showed up today. Some initial thoughts...

Packaging was outstanding. It turns out that this seller is a division of Sweetwater, with a different name. I had no idea when I was bidding on it. Their attention to detail is good.

I like the new Fender 21-fret roasted maple neck, it's not the original but I like that it's set up with staggered locking tuners. I think I prefer them over the vintage style tuners, simply for the fact that the ratio is 18:1 vs. 15:1. Vintage style are great, but these are in another class. Not sure yet about the shiny finish on the fretboard.

The pickups sound wonderful - articulate, full, present. Not yet in love with the modified 4-way wiring with the series, push-push feature on the S1 volume pot. I'm comfortable with the familiar 3-way switch. I will give it some time. I have the parts on hand to set it up as a traditional Tele. Other than that, I think some additional shielding will beneficial.

I can't complain about the fit and finish. Daphne Blue is a great color, and I've decided to leave the black guard on. This looks so much better in person than it did on the eBay listing. Overall, I am pleased with this purchase. It will take a little time to explore the potential, but I have plenty of that.

The verdict: It's a keeper, even if I have to break out the soldering iron.

View attachment 1046136
It’s funny how some colors on Teles beckon you to play more.

ahiddentableau

Tele-Afflicted
I'm not super keen on the black pickguard, but I love everything else. Good stuff!

Also coming to mind: there are 18:1 old/vintage kluson style tuning machines available now, too. Kluson makes them. They're called "Kluson Supreme". I have a set on one of my strat builds. Also good stuff!

fretknot

Tele-Meister
I'm not super keen on the black pickguard, but I love everything else. Good stuff!

Also coming to mind: there are 18:1 old/vintage kluson style tuning machines available now, too. Kluson makes them. They're called "Kluson Supreme". I have a set on one of my strat builds. Also good stuff!
At first, I thought the same on the pickguard, but in person it fits and looks better. Good info on the tuners, thanks.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Nice. My experience is that out-of-phase sounds thin, nasel, and useless – until you put it into a mix.

Try playing it against a backing track. Add a little gain, or overdrive, or distortion to your guitar. It cuts right through and sounds great.

fretknot

Tele-Meister
Nice. My experience is that out-of-phase sounds thin, nasel, and useless – until you put it into a mix.

Try playing it against a backing track. Add a little gain, or overdrive, or distortion to your guitar. It cuts right through and sounds great.
I'm warming up to the electronics after trying different settings. Played through a higher gain amp and found some good tones. Chances are that I'll leave it as-is. It's one of the better Telecasters I've had in the stable. The volume pot rotation is a little loose, would prefer if it were a tad firmer. It shifts position with the lightest touch if I contact it when I use the pickup switch. Small detail.

fretknot

Tele-Meister

I agree. After a month or so, I've come to appreciate the variety of tones on tap with this circuit. You were right about the out of phase sound. In the series position it sounds great with gain and overdrive - it reminds me of Mark Knopfler's tone on Money For Nothing.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I agree. After a month or so, I've come to appreciate the variety of tones on tap with this circuit. You were right about the out of phase sound. In the series position it sounds great with gain and overdrive - it reminds me of Mark Knopfler's tone on Money For Nothing.

Yeah - Out of Phase and Series might have become my favorite position as of late on my "options" guitar. If you have volume controls on both pickups you can also tweak the final sound quite a bit.