NGD!! Page Dragon

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Kezzell, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Kezzell

Kezzell TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

I received my Page Tele today. I already own the mirror telecaster. I am actually setting up the tele as I type this. These guitars are night and day in terms of quality. The Mirror telecaster is one of the nicest guitars I have ever owned. The dragon, not so much. It’s all small things, but you shouldn’t experience with a guitar that cost around $1000. Most of the pickguard screws are drilled too big. The nut is slotted a little off but not too bad. I plan on replacing it anyway. The strings bind with the factory 10’s. I changed them to 9.5’s and lubed the nut. The frets are so dull, my normal polishing cloths that I use to polish them won’t even knock it off. The guitar plays decent up and down the neck. I do not understand why they used the road worn neck on a very glossy guitar. The neck has checking which is part of the road worn thing but is not tinted to a vintage look. I’m probably going to take the guitar and have it set up professionally and have the nut replaced, and frets polished. The neck has a little too much relief but I’m going to give it a couple of days before I adjust it to let it acclimate to my house. I owned a fiesta red vintera, and it was much nicer out of the box. I added a couple of quick pictures but will add more later.

Attached Files:

2. Kezzell

I will add that they do sound slightly different. The mirror has warmer overtones and seems to break my blues jr up a little more. Neither are as warm as my American original. The nut is cut a little high in the dragon. I really need to invest in some nut files. Besides the dull frets, they seem to be laser level.

BramptonRob1958 likes this.
  3. Kezzell

4. Kezzell

5. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

Bummer about the factory setup. At least it looks cool!

Kezzell likes this.
  6. Kezzell

Yeah it’s like I said, it’s not too bad but could be a little better. None of the stores around Nashville ever have them in stock so I had to go online. It’s always a toss up.

7. teleteej

teleteej TDPRI Member

That Dragon looks pretty darn cool!

Kezzell likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats, the grain looks nice and its cool you get a 2 piece body. Strange they used the road worn neck but cool again that it appears to be rosewood and must be lacquer finished if it's checking.

Kezzell likes this.
  9. bblooz

bblooz TDPRI Member

It looks cool, but as stated earlier, too bad it really wasn't finished or quality checked at the factory. I know you were counting on it, but if it were me, I would request a replacement. Since they're still making them, shouldn't be a problem with a legit seller. My $.02...

GadFly and Kezzell like this.
  10. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Really sharp! Congrats - sounds like it will be an awesome player once’s the nut issue is fixed!

Kezzell likes this.
  11. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I apologise, off topic sort of, but that mirror Tele looks fantastic.

Kezzell likes this.
  12. Kezzell

Yeah I was torn on the grain. I looked at several. I’m too Gibson when it comes to wood. I always prefer center seam. There were a few on reverb that were offset which is how the original is but I wasn’t into the grain of them as much. According to the site, they went with a satin nitro neck and a gloss urethane body. I’m going to sun tan it a bit to darken it all up some. The dragon one as opposed to the mirror one has a more bright metallic sound. I need to play with the pickup heights a little. I think it maybe the saddles. If it was a normal MIM Tele, I would go brass to warm it up a bit. I want to keep the threaded saddles. They look different and have a different part number then that mirror Tele. I have a pack of the fender American vintage ones. I wonder if they are different metal. I may change them out to the vintage ones next time I string it.

13. Kezzell

2F1BD417-328C-4D6A-A0A6-077C2C682AAE.jpeg
    Yeah I can’t bring myself to put the mirrors on it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.