NGD - Original G&L ASAT

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by JDB2, Mar 1, 2019.

1. smartsoul72

smartsoul72 Tele-Meister

Nice!!!

JDB2 likes this.
  2. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Very fine yo.

JDB2 likes this.
  3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

not a tele player..tell me the dif between that & a fender...there seems to be more appeal in this for some reason,,tone & pliability matter more to me..but that looks great..my 3 teles greatly disappointed me when we got to studio..would this model make me rethink ?

JDB2 likes this.
  4. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

guitarsbyleo.com forum has a knowledge database. You can date the guitar by the serial number.

JDB2 likes this.
  5. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I had an ASAT Special Deluxe for a while back in 2002-2003 (ASAT Special with a maple top on an "AmericanTila" -i.e. basswood species - body and rear-routed controls) - it's a fuller sounding guitar than a typical Tele. It didn't really twang - but I'm a classic rock guy anyway. To me it sounded like Page's tone on the first Zeppelin album - think Communication Breakdown and Good Times, Bad Times. I used it through both a Marshall DSL 401 (the original UK-made version) and later a Deluxe Reverb RI with a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde pedal and got that sound out of it.

I suspect one with an ash body would get a little closer to twang, but I think it's always going to fill that space between a Tele and say an SG Special or LP Special (maybe any Gibson solid body with P90 pickups instead of humbuckers).

Obligatory photo of my old one - one of maybe 3 guitars that I've sold off and regretted letting go of over the years:

[​IMG]

JDB2, Deeve, SuprHtr and 1 other person like this.
  6. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

NICE!

Seeing those old G&L's reminds me of college since there was a music store there which carried them.
    [​IMG]
    If I knew back then what I know now, I would have bought a G&L there...

JDB2 likes this.
  7. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I had an 86, cream w/black single layer, and sold it because my right hand would go numb because of the sharp contours. Lost 100 pounds, solved the problem, but the guy will never sell it back. Darn it...

JDB2 likes this.
  8. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

The old bodies are 1 5/8 thick and the edges are rounded. Light, comfy.

JDB2 likes this.
  9. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Sweet axe! G&Ls are the business, '80s G&Ls are really special.

JDB2 likes this.
  10. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Thanks all for the comments and discussion about my NGD. The consensus appears to be that these early ASATs are great guitars and that's completely consistent with my observations this weekend. In fact this ASAT is pretty awesome.

As for the date, I took off the neck and found the stamps are very difficult to read. I can make out May 1986 on the neck and 1987 on the body. I don't know whether having a neck and body dated that far apart on a G&L is rare or what the explanation might be.

I haven't played a lot of guitars in my life, but I've played some decent ones and I will say this 1987 ASAT is the only guitar I've played that has no quirks I need to work around. Everything comes together just right. The tone of the maple body is sweet, full, and bright, without being harsh in any way. The saddle-lock bridge really helps with sustain. The guitar sings with expression, rather than shouts. The closest comparison I have is a 1992 ASAT Classic with ash body and maple board, and that tone is much more strident. The 1987 ASAT tone is smooth and balanced, and the neck feels great too. It sounds sweet and vocal both with distortion and without. I love this guitar.

The 1987 ASAT's approach to being a guitar is from the Telecaster end of the spectrum, and that does come through in its tone and playability. It does have some twang, but nowhere near as much as the 1992 ASAT Classic, which pretty much IS a Telecaster. What the 1987 ASAT lacks in twang it makes up for in smoothness.

I'm pretty sure the fretboard is ebony. I saw the brown band running through it and assumed the variations in color meant it was rosewood, but upon closer inspection I see there is almost no perceptible grain and the bare food feels much slicker than any rosewood I've played. From what I've read, those are traits of ebony.

Weight is a reasonable 8 lbs 1 oz and as a poster noted above, it is comfy to play because of the rounded edges.

Even my wife, who isn't a musician, immediately noted how great the ASAT sounds. She even suggested maybe its the only one I need and I can sell the rest of my guitars. o_O

You know what, it's possible she's right. :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  11. ACfixer

ACfixer TDPRI Member

That fretboard is beautiful. The guitar in my avatar is a 90's G&L 3-bolt. Wonderful guitars.

JDB2 likes this.
  12. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

My ASAT is the favorite guitar I have owned... that’s pretty high honors for what I’ve had.

JDB2 likes this.
  13. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

I see that, and immediately lust for one...if for no other reason to get John Jorgensen-esque sounds from Desert Rose Band/Hellecasters era...

JDB2 likes this.
  14. GLvourot

GLvourot TDPRI Member

That is a beautiful 86 Asat. I have a Blonde 86 that I am so happy to own. Yours looks to be in really great condition. Mine is swamp ash with a rosewood board and single ply black guard. Here is some info for you from GGjaguars site , which is quite a treasure trove. You should also head over to guitarsbyleo and register your Asat ( maybe its already there )
    http://www.ggjaguar.com/86asat.htm

JDB2 likes this.
  15. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

:oops: thats a bingo!

JDB2 likes this.
  16. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

The black hardware looks fantastic!!!

I've got an ASAT Special Tribute, and like you, I love that bridge unit. The guitar has excellent sustain, and the ergonomics of that bridge are fantastic if, like me, you rest your hand on it for some songs.

The jumbo MFD pick ups are great too. Very balanced, sweet highs, the low end has a great snap, and it sound really full.
    They are a great alternative to mids rich P90. The jumbo MFD is just more even through the spectrum.

JDB2 likes this.
  17. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

I like the 3-bolt setup because I've found it very useful to adjust the neck tilt without having to shim. I'm not sure why G&L did away with that feature in the 1997-98 timeframe.

Thanks! I actually accessed that treasure trove to get an understanding of what I was buying before I bought it - very helpful for that! I will add it to the registry soon; I've already registered 2 G&Ls there. A 1984 Skyhawk and 1998 Legacy (great guitar but now sold).

I noticed that - the saddles seem shaped specifically for the shape of my palm. I've never seen anything like it before.

18. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

Absolutely perfect. Wow.

JDB2 likes this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You can order that thickness once more, it's called OLS (Original Leo Spec): http://glguitars.com/cs-guitar-options/:

OLS body depth
    Original Leo Spec body depth for solid-body ASAT guitars. Reduced body thickness to 1.625″ mill-depth from 1.780″. This is the original body depth for ASAT guitars in the mid ’80s.
    ORDER CODE: OLS​

JDB2 likes this.
  20. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Not sure why someone wouldn't want that. It seems like G&L gravitated toward beefier-bodied guitars throughout the 1990s. My 1992 ASAT Classic is thicker and heavier than my 1987 ASAT. The Strat-bodied guitars got thicker, with sharper edges and 4-bolt necks around 1997 or 1998. I don't know whether they have stayed the same since then.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.