NGD: Old Growth Redwood Tele

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Torren61, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Good point re the binding.

Torren61 likes this.
  2. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

What Brookedale Bill said X 5!

Torren61 likes this.
  3. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No, they work but I really am not fond at all of that style of tuner. The string fights me to come out the top when doing my initial string installation. I really like locking tuners better. Most of my guitars have them.

4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, you gotta find the right pickguard. Not a fan of the plain white. I'm having a hard time visualizing different ones on it though. 3-ply black is probably easiest. Tortoise, parchment, or white pearloid may look good too.

OldDude2 and Torren61 like this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Push the (cut to length) end of the string into the hole as far as it will go, bend it sharply in the slot and give it one wrap around the post, then pull it tight across the nut and hold it while turning the tuner to tension.
    Easy once you get the method down.

Torren61 likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And pretty guitar!
    I like redwood/ western red cedar.
    Did a lot of boat building with it.

Torren61 likes this.
  7. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I'm not a fan of natural finishes, I really dont like them unless its an acoustic.. the 70's natural colored ones are just not for me..

BUT this one is so nice I wouldnt mind rocking that and I can stare it for hours!!!

Torren61 likes this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Don't you feel guilty that someone cut down an old growth, "grandaddy" redwood just so you can piddle around on an electric geetar??????
    Just kidding.....that's beautiful....and a steal at $500. I like the idea of a tortoise 'guard, but then that's just me.
    And don't worry about the old growth redwoods.....there's PLENTY of them left....all just waiting to become guitars and furniture. ;)

Torren61 likes this.
  9. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Looking at those pics, I'm making noises like a Vegan Zombie:
    Grains, Grains, Grains!
    ;)
    Peace - Deeve

Torren61 and Rev Rhythm like this.
  10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Those white button tuners look like the ones that came on some Fender acoustics.
    I bought 3 sets of those that were taken off new guitars in a store. As soon as I installed the first set I understood why they would be automatically replaced.

Torren61 likes this.
  11. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That's a beauty. I made a redwood tele from a blank I bought in Philo, south of you, where I lived when I was young. Here's a picture of it:

Philo redux.jpg

I like the slotted tuners. They're easy to string, and there are no pointy string ends to puncture yourself with. Edit: that's a mint-green pickguard, though it's hard to tell it from the picture. I don't remember now how I did it, but I obviously could have located the pickup rout a bit better.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    nojazzhere, Fiesta Red and Torren61 like this.
  12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

It looks outstanding with the white guard, white binding, and white-button student model tuners. Only thing I'd change is the white switch tip. Those always look goofy to me.

Torren61 likes this.
  13. Torren61

Wow, I like that with the single P-90. Nice!

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Congrats. A gorgeous tele with that redwood. I would tend to go flat black Bakelite pickguard, but matching the binding and tuner buttons does make parchment a good candidate.

Torren61 likes this.
  15. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

very nice. I'd go black or very aged white/cream on the pg.

Torren61 likes this.
  16. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

I would consider my last guitar - She's Stunning!

Torren61 likes this.
  17. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

nojazzhere and Torren61 like this.
  18. Torren61

Well, there's a development. When he called and offered me the Tele, he wanted $600 for it. I hadn't played it but I was pretty sure it was going to play well because HE played it and gave it a thumbs up. He was trying to raise $1500 for a banjo at a pawnshop.

Background on my buddy. First, he's a great guy. He's one of those people that you can trust in any situation. He's a great player with a gear addiction (like me, except he's a great player). When he offered the Tele for $600, I had $500 to spare and that's what I offered him. It has no "name" on it and I hadn't played it. I wasn't trying to low ball him, it's just that I had $500 without going into savings. He accepted.

When he brought over the Tele, my "spider sense" told me it wasn't right. I just had a gut feeling that he REALLY didn't want to do the deal but he did it because he said he would do it. I asked him before he left. "Are you SURE you want to do this?" He said yes.

I cleaned and restrung the Tele and I thought it sounded spectacular. I thought it sounded like a guitar worth more than $500. So, I texted him. "Are you SURE you're good with selling this Tele? I cleaned and restrung her and she sounded great. I'm giving you one last chance to change your mind..." Grinning emoji.

Him: "How long do I have to change my mind? Jesus. You're killing me smalls. I love that Tele"
    Me: "Uh... tonight."
    Him: "S..."
    Me: "lol"
    Him: "Is that midnight
    If you're going to offer to back out I'll take it back"
    Me: "I like it very much and I'd like to keep it but I'm giving you a last chance to change your mind."
    Me: "I'm worrying that you did something that you may not have really wanted to do but did it because you said you would do it."
    Me: "My friendship with you means more to me than a guitar."
    Him: "I'll take it back if no small voice inside you going f..."
    Me: "Of course there is but that's what I'm worried about with you, lol"
    Me: "Just come get it and we'll call it a wash."
    Me: "I'm okay with that. Or..."
    Me: "Make me an offer on the 000-15 with the Tele as partial trade." (I have a Martin 000-18 that I know he wanted and he made overtures on trading me the Tele with an undetermined amount of cash for it.)
    Me: "Or... I'll give you another $200 for the Tele. Three options. Either one works for me. Lol at your dilemma."
    Me: "After playing it, I think it's worth more than $500. Even with no name. And I can't give you $500 and feel right about it."

I'm still waiting to see what he wants to do. *groan* Sometimes doing the right thing is hard, lol.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    Ricky D., theprofessor and SuprHtr like this.
  19. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

I think you are doing the right thing. If you are already feeling that way, it isn't going to get any better. Hopefully you can work something out that ends with you both happy and you playing the snot out of that beautiful Tele.

Torren61 likes this.
  20. Torren61

Yeah, either of those three options would give me the relief I need from this situation as it is but I hope he comes to get $200, lol. It's a really nice guitar even with no name on the head stock.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.