NGD: Old Growth Redwood Tele

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Torren61, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I bought this from a friend last night. Made from old growth redwood from Humboldt County in Northern California. I don't know a whole lot more than that, yet.

I'm not completely in love with the white pickguard. I'm thinking this is a good one for a tortoise shell pickguard. Opinions?

CC29B301-94C1-48EE-BAD3-C990920E688B_1_105_c.jpeg 1D993512-6B34-4BD3-AC0C-FA3245C6AEB9_1_105_c.jpeg C045947A-B402-4CDB-94A9-96E42007D9F4_1_105_c.jpeg B6A5FDA0-0F31-4F28-B591-7F9AD0BC41A7_1_105_c.jpeg

2. Torren61

The flat spot is where the input jack is located, not a flaw in the symmetry.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  3. Jerry J

Jerry J Tele-Afflicted

damn nice grain in the body and the back of the headstock

boris bubbanov and Torren61 like this.
  4. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

That is a gorgeous guitar, and so cool for you to have a Telecaster made out of a local wood. And not just any local wood, perhaps the most celebrated local wood in the country save for the other famous Humboldt county export. I like the way the white looks, but maybe a parchment colored guard instead of the pure white. I bet the tortoise would look good too. Either way, you can't lose with that guitar. Enjoy it!

ElJay370, Torren61 and BB like this.
  5. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

Beautiful guitar! I think tortoise would look fantastic. Black would also look really good.

Rev Rhythm, Dismalhead and Torren61 like this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Beautiful guitar. A pickguard is a very personal choice. I’m not a fan of tort and tort may get lost against the redwood or draw attention away from it. Are the dots in the neck white or clay color? Antique white, especially with clay colored dots will look good and is less glaring against that beautiful redwood. I also like black but I’d make it 3 ply to pick up the binding. Enjoy that beauty! :)

Rev Rhythm and Torren61 like this.
  7. Slap Axe

Slap Axe TDPRI Member

Wow, that’s the kind of grain and wood that makes a man start to think about a clear pickguard.

OldDude2, Deeve, rangercaster and 2 others like this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Stunning!

OldDude2 and Torren61 like this.
  9. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Tremendous! I'd try black first, then go with all the tortoise stuff. Of course then you'll have to figure out whether the white-button tuners look right...

That is one gorgeous guitar. Enjoy!

NateD81 and Torren61 like this.
  10. Torren61

I cleaned her up and changed strings today. I HATE those tuners. You almost need three hands. They're gonna go away and be replaced with locking tuners.

I pulled the pick guard but to do that I had to remove the neck. I also pulled the control cavity plate to have a look at what was under there. I didn't pull the bridge plate.

I put her back together and tuned her up and played her through an Emery SuperBaby with an EL34, 12AX7 and 5Y3.

I know there's the typical honeymoon phase because I've been through a few, lol. I'm in one with this Tele. It's a different guitar to all the ones I have here. I really like the sound. Clear, full. I'm gonna have to start wiring mine like this one with a treble bleed. No mud at all. Intonation is surprisingly spot on all the way up the fret board.

She'll get strap locks because all my guitars have Schaller strap locks and my straps change easily between guitars.

I think the pups are hand wired locally. If you see anything that makes you think I'm incorrect, please let me know.

4297D8FD-A288-4CD1-A252-529EFB97E071_1_105_c.jpeg 24E650F5-6E54-4348-9EF8-7F9F0D3D154B_1_105_c.jpeg

11. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

I really like it with the white guard but you couldn't go wrong with black either. :D

57fenderstrat, S00NERMAN and Torren61 like this.
  12. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

Is this something your friend builds? (are there any more like this for sale?)

Torren61 likes this.
  13. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

That is some kind of beautiful! Congrats! In the long run, probably won't matter what pickguard you put on there. Well, Ok, not the mother of toilet seat, please, and personally I think parchment is not a bad idea, but looks good just the way it is. the white kind of adds to the vibe of those tuning keys.

Torren61 likes this.
  14. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

Love the wood grain--good looking guitar! What's the weight-not specifically, but overall feel--light, medium heavy?

Torren61 likes this.
  15. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

Wow gorgeous! I’m in the early stages of a redwood build myself, though mine doesn’t have the figuring like yours! I mocked it up with a tortoise celluloid guard from Asher (SoCal guy). I’m also considering b/w/b.

Attached Files:

16. Torren61

I'll have to put it on a scale but I'd guess around 7 lbs. Weighs about the same as a partscaster Strat I assembled.

staxman likes this.
  17. Torren61

I think it's a build from a guy at Wildwood guitars in Arcata, CA. My friend was in the right place at the right time and scored a treasure trove of necks and parts and this Tele. I bought it from him for $500.

nojazzhere and AndyPanda like this.
  18. Torren61

Oh... and HE paid $200 for the lot.

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't know how you would change the color of the binding - and the binding has to match the pickguard I think.

Wood figure is fantastic. I'm not much for the function of the Q sawn necks, but they sure are pretty. Amazing prices.

Now, these machines I believe are the ones I've used also. The plastic button version of the Gotoh split (Allparts TK 0880). If they're screwed up, perhaps someone has installed them incorrectly. I found they work great.

RodeoTex and Torren61 like this.
  20. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Black, definitely black. Lovely looking guitar.

Torren61 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.