NGD Nocaster MB

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by golfnut, Feb 25, 2018.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Well count me as one of those that just did not get the heavy relic guitar. I didn't lead a crusade against them like some forum posters and tried not to be negative about them other than they weren't for me.
    So about a month or so ago a friend proposed trading his Masterbuilt heavy relic Nocaster for my Martin D-19 Authentic 1939 (Authentic Series not a vintage guitar). I briefly considered it but quickly decided against it. I was looking for a custom shop Nocaster, either NOS or closet classic. I've owned about 3 custom shop nocasters in the past, the last one I sorely regretted selling it.
    So after telling my friend I wasn't interested he came by for a visit to play my 2 authentics. He is on a search for one and wanted to play mine. He brought his Nocaster and said I could keep it for a month or so just to play around with it. It does have an amazing neck on it, probably the best I've ever held. Nice and thick and symetrical. Maybe slightly a hair smaller than my other nocasters but absolutely the best thickness for my hands.
    At first I got playing around comparing it to my Wildwood thin sking 52 which has a slightly smaller (not by much) neck than the nocaster. It is also very comfortable. At first I thought I liked my 52 better as the days went by I thought that I liked them both equally. They are different and both could be useful to me. Yes I was considering ownership with out even realizing it. After a couple weeks It was clear I loved this guitar. It feels so comfortable like its really an old guitar. Then I started to get it. I have read all those internet forum comments about anyone who plays one is nothing but a poser with a fake guitar trying to pass it off as a real vintage guitar as if I put those dings and wear on there. I never typed those words my self and tried not to have an opinion one way or the other but I guess when you read something over and over...
    But its not about that to me. I don't hardly gig and it really doesn't matter to me at my age what it looks like. Its like putting on an old pair of comfortable slippers. It just feels so worn in and just so right in my hands.
    The setup on this, which the owner had just got is perfect and the intonation is dead on with the stock non comp saddles.
    Its got me so enchanted that I have toyed around with the idea that this masterbuilt nocaster is the only tele I need. Although the look is still slowly winning me over and I like the idea of having a "no wear" pristine looking tele as well. They kind of look cool next to each other. And the tones are so different its worth having both. Twisted tele and Nocaster pickups side by side.
    The tone of this nocaster is so clear and clean on the treble strings its got this acoustic 3d quality to it. The bass strings are very warm sounding and I thought about maybe replacing the E\A saddle with aluminum but I thought if I keep my 52 its got Rutters saddles with that configuration. The neck is bare wood and is such a joy to play. The feel is amazing.
    So after all that meet the newest member of my small stable of guitars. Not technically mine yet as I'm paying for it the first week of March.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!

3. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Crap. I forgot this belongs in the Custom shop section.:oops:

4. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Just a couple of points to convince me of the merits of relic.

Don't have to worry about dings and accidental bumps
    Hopefully most will think its a piece of crap and won't steal it.
    As I get older my eye sights getting worse and soon it won't matter what any of my guitars look like.

I'll think of more.

BALIstic likes this.
  5. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

That is nice. I dig the whole Nocaster RI thing, including some of the relics, just can’t cope with the huge necks.

6. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Yeah,
    Friends with really nice guitars that they want to sell are like drug dealers. They bring it over and leave it, just long enough for you to get "A TASTE," get you hooked, "And there ya go!" :p And it sounds like he's getting CA$H, instead of your beloved Martin? Sounds like he's a crafty dealer! :lol:

Oh, and I'll bet that "Old Flame" sounds killer with a great Tele plugged into it?

Enjoy Your New Addiction! :cool:
    Gene

7. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

sweet looking tele

8. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

That old flame continues to amaze me. I paid about $1,100 US for it and its in brand new like condition.
    I've had a couple other black face inspired amps, Carr Impala and Tone King Galaxy and this one is my favorite. And those other 2 amps cost me way more.
    My friend, the same one that sold me this nocaster is bringing over an Allen Accomplice for me to play around with for a few weeks. Its a 1X12 combo and I'm interested in because I think it would be a better grab and go then my old flame head and cabinet.

9. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I do understand the whole relic thing. Never have understood the criticism though. Someone always feels the need to explain why you made the wrong decision based on "their" preferences. Like walking to another table at a restaurant, and telling the folks they ordered the wrong meal. A relic is designed to generate the look, feel, and vibe of a worn guitar. To me it doesn't matter the color, manufacturer, country of origin....if it feels right to you then it is a good guitar. I hope this one brings you years of enjoyment.

60customtele and trouserpress like this.
  10. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Congrats.

11. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Congrats, looks great

12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I never worry about the folks complaining of posers, cork sniffers etc. They are just engaging in their own form of snobbery and sometimes perhaps act out of jealousy. I have one CS relic and it's a 61 Wildwood 10 Strat. It's the most comfortable guitar I have in terms of feel.

Wildwood and a few other dealers have offered CS Nocaster Relics and NOS with updated specs, slimmer necks, bigger frets, flatter radius. I personally don't like the fat baseball bat neck profiles.

13. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I love the bigger necks but the Nocaster neck sometimes feels like its on the verge of being too big. My Wildwood 52 thin skin has a big neck but not quite as big as the Nocaster. Its actually even more comfortable in terms of size but my nocaster relic is much more comfortable in terms of feel on the finish, or lack of finish. I kind of wish my 52 thin skin was relic'd if it would make it feel as worn in as the nocaster.

14. BALIstic

BALIstic TDPRI Member

Congrats golfnut. That is very cool looking geet. Sorry I mighta missed it.....but who was the builder, what year is she ? When I read your first post about the possible trade I personally thought you were mad not making the deal given that the “Authentic Range” is not in fact vintage but instead sounds like Martin’s own version of a NOS Custom Shop or Fender Reissue / Original guitar. But now you’ve worked out a deal on the MaB Nocaster and the D18 staying in your collection. Win, win !

Me and my boy took delivery of a couple of FCS Tele’s (relic’s) in the past few week’s.

It was funny we bumped them together last weekend while swapping over and he did his nut. I laughed at him and told him instead of getting angry he shoulda been handing me at least fifty bucks for the “Authentic Player Wear” that I had apparently added.

Playing Core PRS’Z have made him a bit soft.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  15. radchad074

radchad074 TDPRI Member

Congrats, looks like a great guitar. I had similar thoughts as you before I purchased my most recent CS Tele relic. I played a whole bunch of cs teles at the local shop, over a long period of time, trying to decide what to get next and just kept coming back to the 52' relic, the neck was perfect, the shape and size, but also the way it was "worn"... felt great. It is my new fav guitar... just love it. I don't care what other people say, I love playing it and that is all that matters.

16. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

Nice guitar! Congrats! Oh and you can also count me in the camp as one who was anti relic/heavy relic....I think I even started a thread on it, but have since come around, mainly from watching wildwood guitar videos and playing a few at Emerald city guitars in Seattle....I guess I have to eat my words....:rolleyes:

17. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

Looks like an amazing guitar! Congrats!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.