NGD (New Gretsch Day): G2622LH Streamliner

RU Experienced

TDPRI Member
I, too, have been looking at the G2420T - Guitar Center has a used one for fairly cheap. It's even in the finish I like (the dark walnut stain with the grain showing).

[NOTE TO SELF: I MUST NOT BUY MORE GUITARS!]

Besides that, the ONE thing that keeps me from jumping on one is the pickups. Reviews say they are more like "modern" humbuckers, and I don't need another guitar with that voice.

So, I would want to swap (or mod) the pickups to get a traditional Gresch tone, and I'm not sure anything affordable would drop in. If you go the TV Jones route for replacement pickups, you might as well get the more expensive model and not have to mod it...

But then, I have the notion that simply removing one set of pole pieces would go a long way towards getting the HiLo-tron tone that my old Tennessean had. Has anybody really tried that idea? Esthetically not so pleasing perhaps, but I could live with it IF the tone was there.

My 5120 has been updated with blacktop Filtertrons. Great Gretsch Goodness! I think these pickups show up used fairly often.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Happy Birthday and HNGD! The Streamliners are great guitars. I have three...including a G2420T-P90, a G2420, and a G2627T, which is a variation of the guitar you have---yours is a great color (mine, is green and I have a love/hate for it). I watched Reverb for a period and picked up cases for all of them...billed as "used", all three were new in the box.

I also have a G5230T Jet and a G5445T Jet (chambered Electromatic Jets). I'm Gretsch'd out.

wildcatter

TDPRI Member
I’ve been wanting one of these for a while and I decided to use some birthday funds (big 50th last week) to get it. Single barrel stain finish. Weighs about 6.5 lbs. No neck dive with my wide strap. Took it to practice for a gig I have coming up in a couple of weeks last night. Need to tweak my Helix for this thing. Sounds really good and setup very nicely out of the box from Sweetwater. Very high quality guitar even disregarding the price.
View attachment 1046701
I just finally got a new Gretch Electromatic? to scratch that GAS itch.
I do like it very much and if I was still a teenager limited to a teenagers budget it could easily be my sole guitar.

effzee

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
Happy Birthday 🥳 and happy very, very gorgeous birthday present 🎁🎸🎁

About the pickups, doesn't the LH stand for Loud Humbuckers? 🤔

wildcatter

TDPRI Member
Happy Birthday 🥳 and happy very, very gorgeous birthday present 🎁🎸🎁

About the pickups, doesn't the LH stand for Loud Humbuckers? 🤔
Somehow doubt it. The Gretch Filtertronics were actually developed/out first but patented after the Humbuckers were so the timeline wouldn't fit/make much sense.

dswo

Tele-Holic
I just finally got a new Gretch Electromatic? to scratch that GAS itch.
I do like it very much and if I was still a teenager limited to a teenagers budget it could easily be my sole guitar.

In terms of workmanship, I would rate my MIK Electromatic above my MIM Telecaster — though I’d keep the Tele if I had to choose. Obviously…

Tmcqtele65

Tele-Meister
My 5120 has been updated with blacktop Filtertrons. Great Gretsch Goodness! I think these pickups show up used fairly often.
The Blacktop Filtertrons are not a drop-in replacement for the Streamliner guitars with BT-2S Broadtrons. The form factor of the BT-2S pickups matches a modern humbucker, while a Filtertron is narrower and longer.* It is a do-able modification (I plan to put TV-Jones Classics in my 2420) but it would require some change to the hole size. It's worth saying that TV Jones does make their Filtertron pickups in a humbucker shape for drop in replacement. As someone pointed out, these pickups are expensive but they are the ones Gretsch puts in some of their highest end Japanese and Custom Shop instruments. The mid-line Electromatics have Blacktops or other Gretsch "in-house" Filtertrons.
My G2420T looks, plays, and sounds great...but the Broadtrons are a bit dark for my taste, so I'm looking forward to getting closer to that Great Gretsch Sound.

*The TV Jones website has excellent measured drawings of all their products, so you can easily see the difference.

effzee

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
Somehow doubt it. The Gretch Filtertronics were actually developed/out first but patented after the Humbuckers were so the timeline wouldn't fit/make much sense.
I was joking 🙃

I think it might actually stand for Left Handed