NGD New build ‘59 White Blonde ash with rosewood

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by rze99, May 10, 2018.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I finished this build at the weekend.

I commissioned the body a while back. Originally I was going to use a maple neck but I ended up buying a really nice minty Baja FSR maple blackguard in White Blonde (previously posted).

I went for a very lightly aged '59 style White Blonde with rosewood fingerboard. I based the build on pics of this Wildwest Guitars Custom Shop ‘59 Journeyman e.g., via this link:

https://wildwestguitars.com/electri...rneyman-telecaster-aged-white-blonde-ash-body

My own build, with both new and used parts, is a little more economical than Custom Shop and comprises:

New hand-selected for grain light swamp ash 2 piece body. Finished in lightly aged White Blonde nitro, sprayed to my specs by Jon Rexter-Crawford (highly recommended)
    Used Fender '60s Baja Classic Player neck with 9.5 radius. Lightly aged by me.
    New Callahan parchment 8 hole pick guard
    Used Fender Pure Vintage '58 pickups, aged by me.
    Used USA vintage bridge plate aged by me.
    Used Fender '50s Road Worn rolled steel saddles
    New nickel plated control plate and knobs
    CTS 250K potsOak Grigsby switch, NOS 1951Y John E. Fast PIO Audio Tone capacitor .029uf
    Other hardware by www.axecaster.co.uk and Switchcraft

It plays exceptionally well sounds very even and sweet, no brashsness at all. It is getting its first outing at rehearsal this Saturday.

IMG_6598.JPG

IMG_6593.JPG

IMG_6510.JPG

IMG_6523.JPG

IMG_6555.JPG

IMG_6571.JPG

IMG_6574.JPG
    IMG_6579.JPG

IMG_6580.JPG

IMG_6578.JPG

doguitar, MrHamburger, Geo and 16 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Beautiful!
    I love that look!

rze99 likes this.
  3. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Very nice indeed! I don't know if it's the way you took the pics or what, but those pick guard screws really stand out to me. But it definitely wouldn't be nearly enough for me to kick her outta bed. It being right handed is enough for me to do that :p

HNGD!

Lefty Addams and rze99 like this.
  4. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

I hear "Green Onions" looking at that gorgeous guitar. I love the blonde/rw combo.

Piggy Stu and rze99 like this.
  5. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Holic

That’s absolutely perfect. Nice work!

rze99 likes this.
  6. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

I don’t know which one is nicer, this one or your recent Ocean Blue Metallic build. You’re on a roll!

rze99 likes this.
  7. rze99

Thanks for your thoughts, Nubs.

You know I hadn't noticed anything until you mention it, the aging against the parchment makes them stand out bit, I suppose.

But the pickguard screws I've used are nickel plated (aged by me) regular size.

Looking back at the Custom Shop Journeyman at the Wildwood site I can see that the screw heads do seem to be smaller and maybe they made them smaller in 1959 and Custom Shop got them specially made… or something. Dunno.

I don't know the dimension of these screws or any idea where I can buy "smaller-1959-size-pickguard screws"!

The ones I've bought before at maybe three or four different places over the years that I've been have been the same size, it seems.

Anyone know where I can get small pick guard size screws? Sites seem to have "Fender pickguard screws" without any choice to order.

8. rze99

Thanks for your feedback, Heffus.

I don’t know which I prefer. I'm really, really pleased with both of these builds, everything really just works on both of them. Also the Inca Silver.. really happy with that one two.

I think maybe this new '59 style build is the sweetest sounding of the lot. It really has a lovely very even response, but then the OBM has an expectedly long sustain that is quite noticeable and it just shines with big open chords, which I play a lot.

Both of them play easier and better than PV '64 actually (ducks) but I've spent much more time setting them up I think, but also perhaps due to the flatter radius boards.

My current policy is, for every build, I have to sell a regular production guitar for financing and space reasons, but I've maybe got only a couple of production guitars left that I can bear to sell! Nice problem to have, I know so I'm not complaining.

9. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

Almost exactly like my custom shop 59 - beautiful - mine is a medium relic though

rze99 likes this.
  10. rze99

Praise indeed thanks, Plumber!

11. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

You're welcome but please don't go changing anything on my account. If you like it as-is, by all means keep it that way. It's your guitar and you have the final say on it. I was throwing in my $.02 as an observation. If you do decide to change them though, we would love to see the updated pics.

12. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

That is so nice. That single ply 8 hole guard really makes all the difference. ;)

That is basically my favorite tele. The other is the same but with a maple fretboard.

rze99 likes this.
  13. rze99

Would love to see pics of your CS 59 as I'm certain would others.... Please..

14. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Great looking take on an early 60's slab board. The thickness of the pickguard isn't quite right and parts of it should have a bevel but I doubt anyone makes a correct replacement. As mentioned, the screws appear to be a bit big but maybe that's because they are not countersunk quite enough (again pickguard thickness). Anyway, only details and the look is good and I bet it sounds great.

Those dots look like nicely aged clay, how did you do that?

rze99 likes this.
  15. rze99

Thanks. The dots are aged by using numerous applications of water soluble Punch dark Brown leather dye with cotton bud tips. Each time they dry, rub back with a cotton cloth till it's completely even and repeat it until happy. Has to be done a bunch of times and eventually gets the right hue permanently. Can be reversed by using wire wool. Really beats stark white plastic!

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    heffus and 63telemaster like this.
  16. rze99

.. my favourites too amongst others. Got a White Blonde maple blackguard now too so I might have to photograph them together :)

17. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Absolutely beautiful guitar - really nice job! Love vintage blonde and rosewood.......and don't have one......yet!

rze99 likes this.
  18. rze99

Thank you.

Rehearsed with it yesterday. Played and sounded great. Minor niggle - the top E moves toward the screw over a few tracks. Might have to make a notch for it. a classic issue with round cold steel saddles.

19. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Holic

Really, really love it!!

rze99 likes this.
  20. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

Nicely done!

rze99 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.