NGD! - Needed an acoustic/electric

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by bglaze, Feb 26, 2020.

1. bglaze

bglaze Tele-Holic

I've always been a Martin guy, but I've not had any hate for Taylors. I'm a tenor, so I've just always felt that my singing sounds better with the warm lows of a Martin dreadnought.

I've recently come upon the need for an acoustic/electric to play at Church, and my Custom D28 doesn't have any electronics. It pained me to think about drilling holes in it.

Anyway, I called to the owner of my local shop, and asked if he had any used 214ce's or any scratch and dent Taylors that he would want to let go.

He said he did not but that he wanted me to buy something, so he gave me an awesome deal on a new (still in the shipping box) Taylor 214ce Deluxe. As far as I can tell, this is a $1500 guitar, and he sold it to me for $1199.

Anyway, I am stoked. I love the sound! The action is a bit high for my tastes, so I'll be doing a nice setup on it.

Anyone out there familiar with the 214ce deluxe? Would love to know opinions of them!

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

2. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

It’s been a while since I played one, but I remember trying one out over at Sweetwater when I was in the market for a new guitar. I liked it but I ended up leaving Sweetwater with a new 414ce-R. I can tell you that our previous worship leader played one and I thought it sounded very good. Congrats on your new guitar!!

bglaze likes this.
  3. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I too used to be a Martin snob. But since then I have played Taylors that feel and sound great. The "2" series means solid top and laminate sides right?

Enjoy your new guitar.

bglaze likes this.
  4. bglaze

bglaze Tele-Holic

Yes, the "2" series has solid top and layered sides and back.

This one is sitka spruce top and layered rosewood sides and back. From what I've read, I think the rosewood gets layered over a poplar core.

I was actually NOT in the market for a high-end guitar. I wanted a "player" that is durable and consistent, and I was looking for a used one.

But since I got such a good deal to buy this one, I pulled the trigger.

The layered sides and back are actually a more durable form of construction, so I hear. So, that turned out to be a plus for me for what I was looking for in this guitar. Now, that could just be hearsay and a way for people to feel better about not getting solid sides and back, I don't know. But as long as it isn't "less" durable, then I'm happy. It sounds fantastic unplugged and plugged in, so no complaints here.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  5. 12Frets

12Frets TDPRI Member

Congrats! I've never owned a Taylor, but I played one of their new Pacifica guitars last year. I loved the ergonomics of it, and it sounded great - not like a Martin as some of the marketing implied, but like it's own thing in a good way. Here's wishing you a lot of great years with it.

bglaze likes this.
  6. 12Frets

12Frets TDPRI Member

If it sounds good to you, who cares? I've got a cheap Takamine dread that lives at at my girlfriend's place in NC. It cost me about $115 off Craigslist and sounds fantastic. I'm not a fan of the neck size, but except for that it punches far above it's weight. I mostly just get a kick out of how cheap it was.

younkint and bglaze like this.
  7. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Pretty guitar!!

bglaze likes this.
  8. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Holic

I have a Taylor 214ce, but not the deluxe model. Very happy with mine.

bglaze likes this.
  9. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

Nice guitar, you've solved your problem nicely! The last few years I've been using sound hole pickups and an off-board preamp. Your Martin might love it. DSC04983.JPG

bglaze likes this.
  10. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

I played a used 214ce about a year ago at GC. It was one of the nicest sounding and playing instruments I’ve ever held. I still regret not buying it. Congrats on yours and the great deal!

bglaze likes this.
  11. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations, Sweet guitar right there!

bglaze likes this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations!

13. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Taylor's new designer Andy has been re-voicing all their guitars to be a bit warmer and more Martin like, because that's what Bob wants now. I guess he's decided that the signature Taylor sound was a bit too bright. I worked at the #1 Taylor dealer here for many years, and the 14 size is their crowning achievement, and the 214 and 414 are my favorite models, even over more expensive ones. They've also abandoned the expression system and have returned to piezo systems. Martin, on the other hand, has just this year designed a new neck join system that's similar to Taylor's excellent NT system, which can adjust the neck angle using two sets of vertical and horizontal shims, in a matter of minutes. There's no need to shave down a bridge saddle on a Taylor to adjust the action, just change the shims. It's a dream for techs, 'cause they can do a perfect setup in no time.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    younkint likes this.
  14. ukebug

ukebug NEW MEMBER!

Do you prefer X bracing or V bracing? I found the V bracing made the Taylor a little bright. Just picked up a Music Villa Martin 00-28. No electronics but beautiful instrument. Takamine may be worth considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

No, I know nothing about them. I would've just gotten a soundhole pickup. But any excuse to buy another guitar is a good excuse to buy another guitar.

16. dangerine49

dangerine49 Tele-Afflicted

Congrats!! I've been jonesing for a Taylor for a few years now. Almost pulled the trigger on one about 10 years ago, but the financing didn't work out at the time. So I decided to buy myself a birthday present last month and found a slightly used 2014 410CE for a great price. Love it.

Enjoy...

17. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

Happy New guitar day she's very pretty:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.