NGD. Need quick advice ... see poll.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Obsessed, Nov 11, 2019.

How long before opening?

Poll closed Nov 11, 2019.
  1. Eight hours as if it is a $6000 acoustic guitar.

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. At $169, who cares?

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Since it is plywood construction, wait an hour.

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  4. Be conservative and split the difference and wait 4 hours.

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  1. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

Cool
    Now buy a scratch off or a lotto ticket.
    Lady Luck is winking at you.

Glad ya gotta good one.
    After you change the strings:
    Clean amp setting....
    All tone knobs at 12 O Clock....
    Volumes all set equal...
    Volume / Tone on guitar at 10 ...
    Use those ears, not your eyes...
    Start raising P90 individual string screws...
    Find your P90 tone...

Mine came alive after voicing the P90 to the flatwounds I put on it.
    FG
    ;)

Obsessed and telemnemonics like this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I crank mine waaaay up.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I’d say three weeks. At least for the initial ramp phase. You’ll need a 16 channel data recorder with thermocouples every 3” or so to monitor changes. A thermal imaging camera might come in handy to visually inspect progress. Good luck! Congrats!! Happy NGD!!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Obsessed and bromdenlong like this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Boy, with Fender and Gibson etc letting builders all over the world make their guitars and supplying specs, it's only a matter of time before we stop buying the rebranded stuff and go straight to the source without paying the upcharge.
    That time seems to have arrived.
    Maybe it was here a while go but only a few noticed?

Obsessed likes this.
  5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yep. The brand name on the headstock doesn't mean a thing, and hasn't for quite some time now. That goes for tele styles, LPJr styles, big jazzbox styles...it's really just the price of presitige/the prestige of price.

Having said that- If anyone needs to pay more than necessary in order to feel good about their guitar, they are certainly free to do so! :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I am a huge Epi fan with an Epi bass, Epi Sheraton II and an Epi EL-00 Pro acoustic. The finish on the Grote just doesn't approach the quality on an Epi, but at $169 and 15" away you would not know it. I did not like the "faded/aged" finish of the 1966 inspired Century, but that might just be me.

7. Obsessed

Thanks. Full set-up to happen today. With the tone at 10 o'clock, what do I listen for while raising the string screws of the P-90? I always can find the sweet spot for adjusting single coils and humbuckers, but I'm new to the P-90 and already love the tones.

8. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Loads of bad advice here with the occasional sound comment. Obviously, and I really do mean obviously, if it has boon in sub zero conditions for 24 hours it's solidly frozen through and through, which can in and of itself be damaging, and any quick change to room temperature could cause a litany of problems. That doesn't mean it will, for sure -- it depends on the temp of the room, obviously, and the kind of glue and finish, degree of overbuilding, etc.. The best approach -- obviously, again -- is to leave it in the box and acclimate it slowly. Everything else increases the possibility of damage. For a cheap guitar, I honestly don't understand the mania for getting it out as fast as possible. Exercise a little self-control, or roll the dice -- I certainly don't care, but one approach is impulsive and idiotic, and the other is reasoned and sensible.

9. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

Looks like it all turned out alright ;) and seriously considering shipping conditions it goes through getting from the factory in china, to an amazon warehouse, to your door, I'm sure it has seen just as bad or worse

aging_rocker and FenderGyrl like this.
  10. FenderGyrl

Like Blowtorch said, he likes his pole screws way up.
    Some people feel it gives them more sparkle.

With my flatwound strings I ended up raising them under my wound strings to get them to chirp comparable to the unwound B and E. I was going for a balanced string volume from low to high when ringing chords. The PUP is pretty low on these. You can buy spacers to raise them up if thats your thing. I'm happy with the Jazzy tone for now. I do have the P90s on my other guitars raised close to the strings.

blowtorch and Obsessed like this.
  11. Obsessed

Okay, 24 hours later report. I spent about 5 hours today setting up and polishing the Grote Jazz. I gained a bit of buzzing at the 12 and 13 fret in the low E string as I lowered the action. Just a half turn of the truss rod (and yes that is a cool metal badge truss rod cover) straightened the neck very nicely and I was able to continue lowering the action. I got the buzzing back at about .050" at the 12th fret, so I went back up a bit. I think the 14th fret needs a little leveling. Anyway, the saddles are pretty cheap and stiff, so intonation took me a very long while to get right and honestly, it only got as good as a three barrel tele. I'm still using the original strings since I'm not sure what gauge I should go with yet. It comes with 10-50s, but I think heavier might be better.

The scratches and what I thought was a tiny 1/8" defect in the finish all came out after using my Eternalshine scratch remover stuff. When I replace the strings, I'll buff in those areas and then this is a winner at 5" instead of 15" like I thought last night.

It plays great now. I futzed with the P-90 screws at loud volume (Mrs. Obsessed is out of town for a few days),which was a blast. Yup, a totally different quack in the house now. Volume and tone pots seem very adequate and I get great response. The tuners are settling in with the strings breaking in. Once, I am happy with the intonation, I don't see a problem with the saddles. If you were doing more jazz stuff, you might want to switch to a wood base under the saddle for more warmth. About the only thing I will replace for certain is the output jack. It's cheap and it works, but I would not gig with it at all.

Not sure what to call it since it looks like an Epi Century. After intonation, the scale length is at 25". My thought is that since I am struggling with the intonation, that this is a real Epi "Inspired by" Century except with a bolt-on bridge instead of the floater. As I polished the scratches of the Grote, it just seems eerily similar except for the faded finish. Just way too close and if I had the floater bridge, I suspect I could adjust the intonation better extending the scale length. There must be some dimensions for the frets to double check my theory. Anyway, the arch is very shallow and I suspect that @FenderGyrl had to machine out her bridge base, because the angle of the neck is somewhat mechanically acentuated because of a lack of significant arch.

Anyway, I really like this guitar and it is a keeper. I think if you are playing lots of jazz, the intonation issue is a deal breaker (if my suspicion is correct), but as a blues/blues rock guitar this thing is awesome for the price and to me better looking than the Epi in almost every way.

12. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

Gosh... every time I think I need to add JUST one more guitar to the collection it turns out to be a lie :D I think my list is at 4... plus one more now. We will see how prices go after the holidays

Obsessed likes this.
  13. Obsessed

Apparently these come up every once in awhile. The last time, people were raving about them at $139 and now at $169, but heck, it would still be the way to go at $350, so I don't think you should feel like you are going to miss out. While debating pulling the trigger myself, I watched the Amazon numbers of all three colors dimenishing rapidly, so they are great selling guitars, so they will build more.

It sure is darn fun to play though and I now have the P-90 guitar that I have been waiting for.:)

I'm thinking of making this my Open A guitar, which would really test it.:lol:

Binx likes this.
  14. FenderGyrl

I had to re-home my bridge. It wasn't set right based on measuring the distance from nut to 12th fret center. I had to reshape the bottom of the wood slightly to match the curved top.

Lowering the bridge by milling it and reslotting the nut gave me string height that wasn't affecting my fretted notes.
    Pitch stayed where I was happy with it.

I was able to set my intonation pretty well after doing these fixes.

Obsessed and telemnemonics like this.
  15. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Seriously considered that D’Angelico when @GC the other day....played great, sounds awesome. Need another guitar like a hole in the head. My will was strong

telemnemonics likes this.
  16. Obsessed

Yes! Thanks so much. Not being content with the intonation, I measured my MIK Epi Sheraton II at the 20th fret and sure enough, it is about the same as the Grote. So I loosened all of the strings and removed the entire bridge assembly. There was some sort of foam underneath, so I removed that as well. Reset the bridge at 24.75 and bingo, after normal intonation adjustments, every string intonated perfectly. Yup, jazz ready if you want and now I'm getting better resonance from the body too. Except for the output jack, I would not hesitate to gig with this machine now. Really impressive. The bottom of the bridge assembly is not quite as curved as the arch top, so I think I can sand a slightly better curve to match to gain even more resonance. Oh, and by moving the bridge closer to the neck I got rid of the buzzing too. No leveling at all yet.

With an upgrade of tuners and output jack, plus my rubbing out scratches elbow grease, I would put this guitar in the $400 value market. Really quite nice at this point. The neck is not quite as thick as my Sheraton, but definitely more clubby than an Epi Dot. Very comfy and familiar to me. A real keeper now, but it did take about 6 hours to get it where I like it. And I have yet to put new strings on!:)

FenderGyrl likes this.
  17. FenderGyrl

Cool.
    That foam on the bridge bottom was a PITA.
    Yeah, took me a whole day of working on mine too.
    Put some new strings on that thing!

I put D'Addario 10/52 Flatwounds on mine.
    Total Beatles Day Tripper vibe.
    FG

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Obsessed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.