NGD & NAD

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ash Telecaster, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

I bought a Gibson '61 SG. I always wanted one. A recent gig had me thinking about lighter guitars and watching The Main Squeeze (no affiliation) crank out Whipping Post and Have a Cigar on Youtube lit my fire. I am loving playing this thing. I'm not selling my Tele's or Strat but at present I can't put this thing down. Too much fun.

The amp is the Marshall sv20h. Many times I have read a fellow tdpri'er, who is also a Clevelander say he prefers Marshall for lead tones. I have owned some Marshall's in my life but it was always about taming the dragon because they were so freakishly loud. I thought maybe I would have better luck with the 20 watt with a 3 watt mode. Plus it just seemed right to have a Marshall in the stable. I turned this thing on, on 20 watts, and it knocked me on my butt. Its on 3 watts now and is still pretty loud but fun loud and it definitely conjures up classic rock in spades. I had to use the jumper method due to my lower volume and the bright cap but it is doing exactly what you would expect. Touch sensitive and crunches up nicely. Tone controls are very responsive which is nice. It still needs to be tamed but in other ways. Time will tell if its a keeper but for now I just think of it as gear junkie fun.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
  2. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Afflicted

Really nice, I regrettably cannot bond with SGs due to their neck dive idiosyncracy, it's a real no-go for me. I can't stand supporting the neck with my fretting hand. It was heartbreaking because I wanted an SG so bad and never realized how thin the body was and the neck dive issues. Yeah I know it can be mitigated with a wide suede strap, but it still has neck dive and it still pulls on your shoulder. I gave it a shot, not meant to be for me

Very nice amp set up, pedal board, and guitar. It should give you years of good use and enjoyment. Love your mixture of quality pedals. I myself also have an OCD v2.1 which I adore, is my main dirt, and have been wanting to get something from Wampler to support Brian, I watch his YouTube channel and his company is ethical and family oriented. He's done good with his life and family.

Happy NGD & NAD!!

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  3. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Killer setup, dude!

4. Ash Telecaster

I've read a lot about neck dive and know it can be an issue but I have to say I haven't experience an issue with it...yet. I haven't played it out either so there is that. I have a wide leather strap that tends to be clingy and I'm sure that helps. Plus this guitar was heavier than I expected. I've heard weight can vary a lot on these and if that's the case then I may have gotten a heavier one.

I have been swapping out pedals a lot lately. I have mostly been using a Wampler Catapulp for dirt. I find I am able to get in the sweat spot between dirty and definition with it but with the SG I have been gravitating more towards the OCD. I use the Euphoria in Open mode with just a touch of hair, then the Walrus ages for a mild bluesy over drive. I am probably over obsessive regarding overdrive pedals!

I met Brian Wampler a few times at Gearfest and he was just a super nice guy. He personally took an interest in showing me his pedals both times. I am definitely a fan of his pedals and the person.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    GreatDaneRock likes this.
  5. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats on the SG.
    My only thing with the ‘61 SG is the slim taper neck. I need some meat in a neck.
    If head dive is an issue either get a wider strap or keep your arm/hand under the neck.
    I can not recommend strongly enough to get strap locks. I had a SG slip from the strap and the headstock broke. The repair was phenomenal and I got over it. But it was a very disturbing incident.

JL_LI and Ash Telecaster like this.
  6. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire

Cool! HNGD/AD!

7. Ash Telecaster

I can report the sv20h is the Marshall for me. Dialed in its just great. From blues to rock it just sounds and feels right. It's not replacing my Fenders but a fun alternative.

8. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A Gibson through a Marshall? Has that been done before? :D

Very nice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.