NGD: Mystery Shell Pink (tel)Esquire

OverlandLtd

TDPRI Member
Woo, my second Tele!

Some of you may have seen this guitar floating around on Reverb for the past few months. After sitting on it for a while, I pulled the trigger on it because I always wanted a Shell Pink guitar. I think it's Fender's best finish.

I don't really know what this particular guitar started life as. It has a circa-2020 MIM neck (the s/n tells me it's from a Nashville Deluxe), some newer American body, and an amateur humbucker rout for the JB. At some point, it was refinished into a nitro Shell Pink and turned into an Esquire; you can see the selector switch is missing. It also originally had an Ace Frehley decal which I took off. No disrespect to Kiss, but it's not my style.

All of 5 minutes with it and I'm already in love. Super resonant and it weighs nothing; when I picked it up, I thought it wasn't packed properly because of how light it was. Shockingly, I've never had a JB, and I think it sounds great in this guitar. It's going to stay how it is for the time being since I'm getting too excited about modding it when I haven't used it seriously yet. I have some idea of what I want to do to it; turn it into a 90's Tele Plus thing with a Lace Dually, but that's going to come way later. I'll be hitting it with polish for the next few weeks to work out that decal shadow and it's getting fresh strings tomorrow. I'll get the Decoboom pickguard I bought mounted at some point in the near future, probably once I get all the parts I need.

Big thanks to the Reverb seller for the fast shipping and great service! I assure you this guitar is in a loving home now.

Attachments

• Telesquire.jpg
    Telesquire.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 122

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I like that a bunch. I have a Squier HS Bullet that I put an Equire guard on, but I used a hb-sized p90 and I love it. I have a switch in mine to fill up the slot, but it's not wired up; if I get some ambition, I might do up some tricky bypass/blower switch wiring.

OverlandLtd

TDPRI Member
That’s awesome. Id put some brass saddles on it. Match the pickup a bit.
Congratulations!
It'll be interesting, but the pickup is probably going to get swapped out sometime soon. I like it enough right now, but this is going to be my guinea pig because I don't really like humbuckers.

I like that a bunch. I have a Squier HS Bullet that I put an Equire guard on, but I used a hb-sized p90 and I love it. I have a switch in mine to fill up the slot, but it's not wired up; if I get some ambition, I might do up some tricky bypass/blower switch wiring.
I'm pretty sure there's a stock Shell Pink Affinity Tele somewhere. I was pretty close to getting one of those, but I couldn't beat this for the price. That wiring job sounds pretty sick, probably a pretty finicky job though. Let me know how you do.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
It'll be interesting, but the pickup is probably going to get swapped out sometime soon. I like it enough right now, but this is going to be my guinea pig because I don't really like humbuckers.

I'm pretty sure there's a stock Shell Pink Affinity Tele somewhere. I was pretty close to getting one of those, but I couldn't beat this for the price. That wiring job sounds pretty sick, probably a pretty finicky job though. Let me know how you do.
The guitar has alot going for it, but the way they mounted that bucker isn't one of them.
One of these (which are $20 for chrome, $25 black $30 gold) would've cost about as much as that thing:
Or, the Wilkinson chopped 3 saddle compensated brass bridge is also $30.
Finish, guard, knobs all scream "personal suped up guitar". The bridge and mounting ring scream "I've been abducted from a parts bin".

How does it sound?

Shell pink is a great color. I almost bought my Japan Junior tele in it, but all the ebay sellers were asking a few hundred more for that than the other colors.

OverlandLtd

TDPRI Member
How does it sound?
Pretty good, actually. I've never actually played a JB before (it's my first Duncan pickup), so I initially thought I'd hate it, but put some dirt on it and this guitar really sings. It has a vocal-midrange attack that a regular Tele bridge doesn't have. Not necessarily my taste when clean, but not everyone's a winner. I don't think this was ever intended to be a clean machine anyway.

The guitar has alot going for it, but the way they mounted that bucker isn't one of them.
One of these (which are $20 for chrome, $25 black $30 gold) would've cost about as much as that thing:
The humbucker ring doesn't really bother me right now. If anything getting a new bridge scares me since I don't know how well the body was routed. The fit with the pickup and body is pretty snug, so I can't say if a proper bridge would work. I kinda like the kibble-and-bits look of it, mostly because I'm too cheap to replace it right now. I'll definitely consider getting the proper bridge in the future, though. The pickguard I have is white and pink, so I think having the black ring with everything else I'll change might be too much to look at.