NGD: My Pink Squier Bullet Strat Project

Tyuk

Tele-Meister
I bought this Bullet Strat from a friend about two years ago (they wanted to just give it to me but I insisted paying $50 for it) with the intention of modifying/customizing it with some parts I had lying around. A couple years of procrastination later and it's finished!

TL;DR: bought a pink Squier strat a couple years ago, upgraded its tuners and put a Gibson (gasp!) humbucker in it.

IMG_1185.jpg
The stock single coils sounded decent/very warm for single coils but I already have an SSS strat so I wanted a different setup. I've had a 1 humbucker pickguard sitting around from my punk days that looked great against the pink so I thought why not. The humbucker was originally an SD Distortion but I installed that in an SG Faded Special, swapping out the stock Gibson pickup (490T). The two 490's sounded great in isolation but I was never happy with the way the two pickups contrasted each other with the same amp settings. The 490T is now installed in the pink, punk machine and sounds great!
IMG_1189.jpg
Due to the extended pickup screws on Gibson humbuckers, the body cavity needed to be routed a bit (to the right of where the ground wire comes out of the body) to accommodate for the length of the screws.
IMG_1191.jpg
The stock tuners were terrible and almost non-functional from not being used for years (the guitar sat in a closet for about 8-10 years before I got my hands on it). The main tuning machine holes in the headstock needed to be enlarged to accommodate the 2-pin Fender tuners that were taken off my MIM strat years ago and have been sitting in the drawer. A drill press did the bulk of the work then it was finished by hand. We also had to drill new holes for the 2 pins that hold the tuners in place (you can see the original tuner's screw holes).
IMG_1494.JPG
The pearloid/single humbucker pickguard holes (an official Fender product) however didn't line up with the stock pickguard holes (a Squier product) so the original holes were filled and re-drilled for the pearloid pickguard.
IMG_1497.JPG
And finally, a setup!
IMG_1500.JPG
My Fender Family now:
IMG_1510.JPG

Ronzo

Tele-Afflicted
Very nice!

I did something similar for breast cancer awareness a few years ago. I had a pink Bullet Strat I’d bought used for $50 USD. I dropped a set of Donlis A5 pickups into a Musiclily red tort pickguard and backplate, put a Switchcraft output jack, CTS pots and a Nichisen tone cap in it, wired the second tone knob to the bridge pickup, put Musiclily tuners on it, et voilà.

My daughter-in-law came for a visit and fell in love with it’s tone, light weight, and resonance. I was due to visit their family in NJ in a few weeks, so I put it in a gig bag and took it on the plane with me. Here she is with it when I surprised her with it:
42E4FDAA-B153-42DB-8227-62733FA6CA51.jpeg

Tyuk

Tele-Meister
Very nice!

I did something similar for breast cancer awareness a few years ago. I had a pink Bullet Strat I’d bought used for $50 USD. I dropped a set of Donlis A5 pickups into a Musiclily red tort pickguard and backplate, put a Switchcraft output jack, CTS pots and a Nichisen tone cap in it, wired the second tone knob to the bridge pickup, put Musiclily tuners on it, et voilà.

My daughter-in-law came for a visit and fell in love with it’s tone, light weight, and resonance. I was due to visit their family in NJ in a few weeks, so I put it in a gig bag and took it on the plane with me. Here she is with it when I surprised her with it:
View attachment 997077
A much more altruistic purpose! Nothing quite like giving a guitar as a gift; you are a good person!

The ‘official’ story is that this guitar will eventually belong to my children one day. But for now...

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
The shell pink/tortoiseshell Squiers look great, and I like the pink-pink one above.

When I get the gumption I'm going to do my old red Korean Fender Strat up with a bridge-only humbucker, a zebra Atomic I took out of the neck position of my Super Sonic. I got a blank white Strat pickguard that I need to cut for a humbucker.

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
Very cool, Fun project! :D

I recently got a Peavey that has a similar vibe; purple sparkle, Strat-like body and a single bridge humbucker. On paper a “one trick pony,” but very useful and fun to play!

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
I bought this Bullet Strat from a friend about two years ago (they wanted to just give it to me but I insisted paying $50 for it) with the intention of modifying/customizing it with some parts I had lying around. A couple years of procrastination later and it's finished!

TL;DR: bought a pink Squier strat a couple years ago, upgraded its tuners and put a Gibson (gasp!) humbucker in it.

View attachment 997058
The stock single coils sounded decent/very warm for single coils but I already have an SSS strat so I wanted a different setup. I've had a 1 humbucker pickguard sitting around from my punk days that looked great against the pink so I thought why not. The humbucker was originally an SD Distortion but I installed that in an SG Faded Special, swapping out the stock Gibson pickup (490T). The two 490's sounded great in isolation but I was never happy with the way the two pickups contrasted each other with the same amp settings. The 490T is now installed in the pink, punk machine and sounds great!
View attachment 997060
Due to the extended pickup screws on Gibson humbuckers, the body cavity needed to be routed a bit (to the right of where the ground wire comes out of the body) to accommodate for the length of the screws.
View attachment 997061
The stock tuners were terrible and almost non-functional from not being used for years (the guitar sat in a closet for about 8-10 years before I got my hands on it). The main tuning machine holes in the headstock needed to be enlarged to accommodate the 2-pin Fender tuners that were taken off my MIM strat years ago and have been sitting in the drawer. A drill press did the bulk of the work then it was finished by hand. We also had to drill new holes for the 2 pins that hold the tuners in place (you can see the original tuner's screw holes).
View attachment 997062
The pearloid/single humbucker pickguard holes (an official Fender product) however didn't line up with the stock pickguard holes (a Squier product) so the original holes were filled and re-drilled for the pearloid pickguard.
View attachment 997063
And finally, a setup!
View attachment 997064
My Fender Family now:
View attachment 997065
Great stuff I liked that. The word crafted on the back of the headstock seems to be a stretch when looking at those pick up routs! But who cares it’s under that nice looking pickguard guard.

It’s strange I looked at the screws and counted 11 but it looked like they were off. I guess it’s just because there’s no front pick up giving the impression of a missing screw. My pearloid is an eight hole, but when compared to your other Strat yours both look the same equally spaced.

Does it have a name? I vote for Narf or Poit!

NTC

Tele-Afflicted
Does it have a name? I vote for Narf or Poit

I vote for Poit.

"Gee, Brain, what are we going to do tonight? "

"Same thing we try to do EVERY night, Pinky - try to TAKE OVER THE WORLD! "

Tyuk

Tele-Meister
Great stuff I liked that. The word crafted on the back of the headstock seems to be a stretch when looking at those pick up routs! But who cares it’s under that nice looking pickguard guard.

It’s strange I looked at the screws and counted 11 but it looked like they were off. I guess it’s just because there’s no front pick up giving the impression of a missing screw. My pearloid is an eight hole, but when compared to your other Strat yours both look the same equally spaced.

Does it have a name? I vote for Narf or Poit!
Never got into the habit of naming my guitars but Narf would have my vote too!