NGD - My first Tele

Scheckenbacker

TDPRI Member
20220912_223136.jpg

I've had a chance to try a few different Teles over the years but never owned one. I've had a Jazzmaster and a 90s Talman with SD Psyclones that have been incredibly versatile for me and I can get a lot of twang out of them but they just couldn't get me all the way to Teletopia. Wasn't ready to give up either guitar to get a Tele unless it was the right one.

Lo and behold, a guy offered his 60s Baja for my Supro Saturn, and while I adored that amp, the Baja was on my very short list of guitars that I would trade for. And this guitar is as great as I'd hoped it would be. I love the slightly beefier neck. Fits my hand so well. The body is a bit dinged up, and I love it. It got knocked around a bit, like a Tele should IMHO. I was skeptical about how well the series and out-of-phase combinations would sound but my goodness, they actually work! And while I'm loathe to sell the Jazzmaster or Talman, the Baja eases the pain significantly (I just bought a Ceriatone Lightning too but I gotta get rid of a guitar).

Been wanting a Tele for a while and I'm thrilled to find one that makes me happy right out of the gate (in faded sonic blue, no less!).

Scheckenbacker

TDPRI Member
Yep, the 60s ones had them. And they don't have the big neck either. And I think the pickups might be different from the 50s ones?
Correct. It's not a baseball bat by any means but it's not insubstantial. I think the earlier Baja 60s had rosewood boards but they switched to pau ferro (not sure what mine is). And 60s Baja pickups are Fender custom shops, 58 in the bridge, 52 in the neck.

Brent Hutto

Tele-Holic
Cool blue color and the shade of the pickguard could not go better with that Rosewood ‘board. Even the brass saddles look almost like they are color coordinated with the rest of the guitar. Perfect look.

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
Nice. Bajas are great guitars. Congrats and welcome to Tele land!

Even though they look a lot like other guitars, they're really pretty unique in feel and sound. My first changed my musical life about 8 years ago.