NGD! My first strat in 20 years

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by cntry666, Nov 5, 2018.

1. cntry666

cntry666 Friend of Leo's

I’ve been a tele/Les Paul guy forever. I have a few Gretsch too but I have not owned a strat in forever. I picked this up for $200 and put a Seymour Duncan Hot for Strat in the bridge. It sounds amazing. Neck is a beast though, really wide but comfortable. I’m glad I finally got one and I have a feeling it won’t be the last. Cheers!

IMG_2217.JPG

Blue Bill, uriah1, emisilly and 7 others like this.
  2. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Being an old Hendrix fan, I see you got one with the Jimi thing going. I also love a Fat strat with a humbucker in the bridge position. I would of like to seen what Jimi might have done with a Fat strat!
    It's like you playing along with the nice fendery glass things on the neck, middle or neck/bridge---all nice and fendery but when you get ready to howl, just kick in that humbucker and Man! You got the Power!

Brian Wright likes this.
  3. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I was excited it was a lefty...then I scrolled down.

You damn righties with your reversed headstocks!

Toadtele, Brian Wright and OldGuy6873 like this.
  4. Brian Wright

Brian Wright Tele-Meister

Looks great. Enjoy!

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Well if it weren't for a famous lefty turning a righty upside down, we wouldn't be doing this stuff.:cool:

Treynor and Nubs like this.
  6. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Well, now you’ve gone and done it... better make room for it’s friends.

I did the same thing. Hadn’t had a Strat for 20+ years. I’d been playing Ibanez Artist guitars for decades (they’re like Gibson’s) and one day I thought I should give a Strat another try and after a few months of looking, I scored a little black Strat with a maple neck. Added some updates and all of a sudden it’s the only guitar I want to play. About a year later another one arrived. This time sunburst with a rosewood fretboard. I’m pretty sure soon another will arrive in Sonic Blue with a Pau Ferro fretboard.

Happy NGD!

Treynor likes this.
  7. Zepfan

I would like to have a reverse slant pickup, reverse headstock and lefty trem on my right hand Strat. Sort of combination of the SRV Strat and Jimi Hendrix Strat. Someone's gotta do it right.....or left.:D

8. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic

Congrats! Welcome to the Strat club :)

9. awasson

Yeah, I really like the look of the reverse headstock too. I wonder how the reverse tremolo works ergonomically. I tend to have a loose tremolo arm and hang onto it with my pinky and ring finger while I’m picking if I’m using it. I’m a rank amature with trem use but I do like it for some of my playing.

10. Zepfan

From what someone told me back when the SRV first came out was the trem having the arm to one side tends to drop the strings on that side more than the ones on the other side. So a trem with the arm on the low string side would have lower toned dive bombs. Don't know if that's the case or not, would like to find out.
    Also said that he didn't have to reach as far for the arm which is why so many hold it between the ring finger and pinky finger. It would be more in the way for palm muting, but palm muting isn't done on a floating trem so only a problem for decked trems.

awasson likes this.
  11. awasson

I was thinking it might be easier to grab coming from the top too. It sounds like a great concept guitar.

12. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

I can, and do palm mute on a floating trem with no problem. It just takes the right touch, but it is perfectly doable.

I once had an SRV strat with the left handed trem, and the bar was seriously in the way all the time. That's why I ended up selling the guitar. It just didn't work for me.

13. Zepfan

Unlearning what you've learned can be a hard thing to do. Palm muting a floating trem is hard to do because of the pressure on the saddles could drop/raise the tuning on the strings which is why I had to do more string muting with my fretting hand back in the day or slightly muting with fret hand after playing chords. If you found a way to mute on the bridge, I tip my hat to you sir, job well done.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.