1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD - Monoprice Indio & Questions

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Cornelius TX, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Cornelius TX

Cornelius TX TDPRI Member

Hello!

I finally pulled the trigger on this (link), which I had been eyeing for a while. Will likely by my backup at gigs, but from what I have read and listened to (sound clips), it is a great guitar.

Just a few questions for y'all:

- How difficult is it to replace a modern bridge with a vintage ashtray one? I have looked at the Bubba Mod, but was hoping it might just be a matter of getting a new bridge and doing some minor drilling.

- Any recommendations for the route I should go as far as converting to a Nashville Tele? Pickups, wiring, etc. Part of the reason I got this guitar is that it is routed for any type of pickup configuration. My goal is to maintain all Tele sounds, but get close to those position 2/4 Strat sounds at times. If I like the stock pups, I may just try to get away with adding a used Strat pup by itself (if that is even doable).

- Anyone have any experience with modifying this headstock to get rid of the pointed end, to make it look more like a "normal" Tele? Not trying to fool anyone, but I just don't care for that pointed end. I don't have any woodworking tools, but was hoping maybe I could sand it down. Edit: Just found this thread, which is helpful.

- My other Tele is a Squier 50s BSB CV, and I love it. I have had it professionally set up, and never really messed with it, because it's such a nice guitar. With this one, for $80, I'm excited to learn more about setting up, etc. Any initial recommendations as far as easy things to do right off the bat to make a cheaper guitar feel and play well? I've done lots of searching, but figured I'd include this one in my post also, since folks might have experience with this specific model.

- Besides the Nashville mod and bridge, not looking to put much more money into this, because I like the idea of just keeping costs as low as possible.

Thank you all, and stay safe!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    RVT22 likes this.
  2. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

I used a Harbor Freight Rotary Tool...(Dremel) to whittle away points on my Sawtooth Headstock. I also carved out a place to mount a Strat pickup and cut out the pickguard with the same too. Put in a Strat switch and on 2 and 4 you would not know this was a Tele. Good Luck with your project.

DSCN3327.JPG DSCN3322.JPG

68Telebass likes this.
  3. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

I looked into buying one of those, but I wanted a vintage bridge. It would be fairly simple if you use a top loader vintage bridge. Otherwise, all of the string through holes will need to be filled and re-drilled.

Reshaping the headstock should be easy. Mark the shape, cut close to the line with a jigsaw, then file to the line with a file or sandpaper.

RVT22 likes this.
  4. Cornelius TX

Thanks, y'all! It arrived today, and I'll post pictures soon.

5. Cornelius TX

9E59CD6F-2371-4830-B6DE-BE55F2BB7B91.jpeg Here it is. At first I was a little disappointed with the pickups, but once I tweaked the amp settings, I loved them. Way darker sound than my CV BSB. Neck is slightly chunky and feels great in my hands, which aren’t large.

Set-up seems good, but I will be filing the fret ends, oiling the board, and polishing the scratchy frets today. Also still planning on slightly reshaping the neck to get a traditional shape. Doing all of this for the first time ever. Fingers crossed.

wacolo likes this.
  6. Cornelius TX

Here it is after I reshaped the headstock. Used a coping saw and sandpaper. Not perfect, but not terrible. My first try doing this, so I can live with it.

Attached Files:

RVT22 likes this.
  7. RVT22

RVT22 NEW MEMBER!

Looks great! Coincidentally I just bought a couple of these (one in the same color as this and another in sunburst).

If you were doing these often and had money burning a hole in your pocket, a bandsaw would probably be ideal for rough cutting the shape and spindle sander would likely be ideal for fine tuning it. I purchased a few used bandsaws that I've been unimpressed with however and sticking to my jig saw on rough cuts for bodies & headstocks. I'm more eager to purchase a spindle sander as I work on more projects, since ultimately this will ensure the final shapes are flush... I've heard good things about this model from Rigid, just under $300.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Oscillating-Edge-Belt-Spindle-Sander-EB4424/202459151

For the time being however, I've been doing a couple things for fine tuning shapes... I have a cheap belt sander that I just clamp on it's side to a table and then lock it on... if you have a belt sander that does not have this function, you can zip tie the trigger... making sure the sander is properly clamped before plugging it in of course :) From there, I just bring the piece to the sander... if it needs to be higher up to meet the belt surface, then you can just add a piece of wood, etc under it to make it level and even with the sanding area.

Lastly, I would take anything perfectly cylindrical in shape (jars, cans, etc) and wrap sanding paper around them (I sometimes also use spray adhesive to stick them on, but holding them around usually works fine as well) and do the same thing.... on a tabletop just keep the piece flush on the table and move the sanding object around it, but still keeping the bottom of it on the table to keep it flush @ 90 degrees.

Hope this helps if your headstock still needs any fine tuning or perhaps on your next project.

Nice work!!!

8. RVT22

RVT22 NEW MEMBER!

Sounds like you are already happy with the pickups... other than filing the sharp fret edges, which seems to be a expected on these and a lot of other inexpensive guitars, I'd say the tuners would be something I'd consider replacing. I've found some generic locking tuners on ebay for less than $20 (from US / new / free shipping)... which I've liked more than the type of tuners that typically come on these.

Rock on!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.