NGD: Modshop Tele

willjoe123

TDPRI Member
Well, new gear month i guess, not day but whatever.

Brand new modshop Telecaster, in autumn blaze, with CS '51 nocaster pickups, and with a one-piece all-rosewood neck! I'm beyond thrilled.

I was worried about the rosewood neck, that I wouldn't like the (deep C) shape or that it'd be heavier and neck dive, but it is perfect in every way, and so smooth.

This is my first real telecaster, as my FMT HH is a les paul in disguise, as well as my first American Fender guitar.

The only problem with it is the cheap, already-broken switch tip, but that's a minor gripe.

The plan is to eventually make the nashville conversion, adding a Fralin Vintage Hot middle, but I'm in no hurry. Could have bought it as a nashville, but that would have required going with gen4 noiseless pickups instead. Plus I can't leave anything alone so why not just plan the project in from the beginning...
IMG_4781.JPG
IMG_4779.JPG

knavel

Tele-Holic
It's cool. For three decades everything "Telecaster" that came into my life had a goopy poly maple neck. Finally a 60s A/O showed up and broke my streak.

So even though you bought it from Fender they don't put a Fender decal on the headstock? Or is it just that the rosewood is so dark I can't see it?

willjoe123

TDPRI Member
Almost forgot! It also got a rockrabbit angled-switch control plate right off the bat. I'm not used to tele controls yet, so I want to give the default orientation a go before deciding whether or not to turn the control plate around backwards.

Do most of y'all flip it or leave it alone?

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
My avatar is a rosewood etched. Those necks feel alive. Great color, congrats. I have a couple from Mod Shop. I’m a fan.

Piggy Stu

Poster Extraordinaire
Honestly im not sure what the stripe is View attachment 968576
the figuring in it makes me think of an intense birds eye maple but I think maybe the contrast in your picture is autoadjusted to make the wood seem lighter than it is

Blame George Harrison, as I have some strange curiosity as to what a full rosewood neck is like. I love a rosewood fingerboard, and would love to know how that translates into a full neck

Similarly, I wonder what a full ebony neck would feel like, as an ebony fingerboard feels great too

Kevin Emmons

TDPRI Member
Congratulations. That is a gorgeous telecaster. I would so love to that play that one. Love the color. It just looks like it has the mojo.

Kansas Tim

TDPRI Member
Almost forgot! It also got a rockrabbit angled-switch control plate right off the bat. I'm not used to tele controls yet, so I want to give the default orientation a go before deciding whether or not to turn the control plate around backwards.

Do most of y'all flip it or leave it alone?
I switch pickups a lot even in the same song. I adjust the volume a bit but rarely use the tone control so a standard control plate configuration works best for me. I think whatever accommodates your way of playing is best for you.