NGD Modern Player Plus Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Echo79, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Echo79

Echo79 TDPRI Member

Grabbed this on a scratch-n-dent deal at my local GC. I didn't expect to like it, just picked it up on a whim, but this is the best Tele I've played, hands down.
    IMG_0155.JPG

2. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Nice one! That’s a good looking guitar. How’s she sound?

3. Echo79

Echo79 TDPRI Member

Good, the neck and middle pickups are what you would expect, the bridge isn't that good, but that wasn't surprising for the price. I like having it already fit for a full-size humbucker. I'm not a fan of regular Tele bridge pickups anyway; this will give me lots of options later.

Skydog1010 and nicod98 like this.
  4. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

I've always thought if you're gonna' put a humbucker on a Tele, you would put it in the bridge position not the neck where it's too dark sounding.

Enjoy!

Skydog1010, nicod98 and Echo79 like this.
  5. Echo79

Echo79 TDPRI Member

Yeah my favorite thing about a Tele is the neck pickup. I love that “bell” sound. I don’t like bridge single coils period, so this is the perfect tele for me. I had a mex player series tele but I like this one much better actually. Feels much better for some reason, not sure why. I just know it suits me much better.

jimilee likes this.
  6. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I mostly play the neck on all of my guitars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skydog1010, nicod98 and Echo79 like this.
  7. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

I bought a loaded body of this model a little over a year ago. I had similar thoughts about the potential of the guitar. I had a maple Mighty Mite neck waiting to be used somehow. The intonation is quite good with this neck, contrary to what I have read about the importance of design and math of the stock neck.

I find that the pickups are much weaker than I would like them to be. I had to raise the neck and bridge humbucker, much higher, closer to the strings than past experience with where the pickups should be. They still lack the power I expect and desire to have. The micro switch that splits the humbucker, robs volume when used singly, and only slightly better, paired with the middle pickup. The humbucker just can’t drive any of my tube amps, the way most of my guitars can.

I just haven’t had the time to get into swapping out pickups, or other electronics values. I have a large collection of guitars to choose from. Some day I will get around to making it the beast it should be.
    image.jpg

Skydog1010, Echo79 and brookdalebill like this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Groovy!

Echo79 likes this.
  9. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Congratulations!

Echo79 likes this.
  10. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

Where are you guys when people rave on the "typical" telecaster single coil bridge pickup sound???

I agree completely, and therefore I never play the bridge pickup. I sometimes combine it with the neck, or I play with just the neck pickup...

The MP Tele is a good tele! Congratulations!

Echo79 likes this.
  11. Echo79

Echo79 TDPRI Member

I get that a lot of people really dig the Tele single coil bridge pickup. To each his/her own. Do whatever you like, and I’ll do the same. These are such versatile guitars they can accommodate nearly everyone.

Upon further playing, I actually like all the pickups. I don’t see any reason to change them until pots/switch/jack goes bad. I use a Boss Katana modeling amp though, and it hides pickup weaknesses really well.

12. Echo79

Echo79 TDPRI Member

Some sweet amps there dude!

I hear the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates bridge humbucker turns these guitars into monsters.

I’m still trying to decide if I want this to be my open g guitar. My SG does it really well.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Mincer likes this.
  13. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I have wanted one of those for about four years, I can't ever find the right "deal" at the right time. This is the one with the body contours, right?

14. Echo79

Echo79 TDPRI Member

It has a belly contour, yes. And it is wonderful!

Skydog1010 likes this.
  15. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

Congrats. I picked up one about a year ago, and it feels and plays great. The stock pickups are the only "meh" factor.. I replaced bridge with a Seymour Duncan P-rail, and the neck and middle with tappable Quarter Pounders. I think these guitars are some of the best values out out there.

Mincer and Echo79 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.