NGD - MIM Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by crumjack, Aug 4, 2018.

1. crumjack

crumjack TDPRI Member

Went into Sam Ash to try out a Classic 50s Strat last night. They had this wonderful sea foam pearl Strat on the used wall. It’s near perfect and sounds great! For the price, I couldn’t pass it up!
    IMG_7879.jpg

Nubs, schmee, teletimetx and 12 others like this.
  2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nice!

3. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Fantastic! That’s pretty much my favorite color combination on a Strat...it’s what my American Special was. Lovely. Great score. Hope it plays as sweet as it looks. Enjoy it!

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congratulations, looks like a keeper!
    I just got a new guitar from Sam Ash in San Antonio.
    It’s an Epiphone Johnny A model.

5. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

MIM Strats are a lot of guitar for the money. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

6. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

That's a GC exclusive model, I've been lusting after one.

7. crumjack

crumjack TDPRI Member

Yeah, I ran the serial number and saw it’s only a year old. Kinda like the old days of buying a year old used car and avoiding the first 20% of depreciation.

pokett likes this.
  8. crumjack

crumjack TDPRI Member

I am enjoying the tones but it does feel like these pickups are “less hot” than my MIM tele. This is my first strat. Is this typical or just in my head?

9. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations. Which model did you get? I could comment more about the pickups, if I knew what they were. If that is a FSR Standard, they came with ceramic pickups. Your pickups look to be staggered. With them being low output, they could have upgraded to 57/62 pickups. It might be an even better deal, than you thought.

I've got a Surf Green Classic 50, that might be the best Strat that I've ever owned. I only say might, because I'm still not sure how I feel about the vintage neck. Yes, the pickups are very bright and very low output, but they sound good. I moved the second tone control to the bridge pickup, and tied the neck and middle pickups to the first tone control. This helped with the brightness, but I still need to adjust the EQ on my amp for this guitar.

The only guitar that I like better, is my FSR Seafoam Green Special, with my favorite Fender neck, from a MIM Blacktop. My Seafoam Green Metallic, looks muck darker than your's. I think that I like your's better.

Surf Green Classic 50
    [​IMG]

Seafoam Green Special
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  10. thegreatshocka

thegreatshocka Tele-Meister

Welcome to the club! I got mine new about 6 months ago. I played it on a Friday, couldn't stop thinking about it, then came back in the next day and bought it. It just played and felt right, I just had to have it. I ended up putting a new Warmoth neck and some Brandonwound Mid Scoop Sallys in it, and it sounds as good as any Strat I've ever had.

Some people think these limited special run MIM guitars get the special treatment at the factory, I'm inclined to believe it because this guitar seems to punch way above its weight class.

20180624_003757268_iOS.jpg

11. crumjack

crumjack TDPRI Member

Consensus is that it is this model. The specs don’t say much about the pickups though.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender...118043002-sku^1500000145440@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

12. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Congratulations! I've never had a MIM Strat myself, but I've heard others speak well of theirs and I've certainly had a couple of MIM Teles that I've been known to rave about. Nice score!

13. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

If the pole pieces aren't flat, you can figure that some put over another $100 into pickups. Low output pickups don't come cheap.

14. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Nice! Love the color. I recently got a sunburst MIM from Adorama.

15. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

...and you didn't come by the house and let me play it on your way back to Austin? ;)

brookdalebill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.