NGD: MIM Jazzmaster

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jack Clayton, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

Just traded both my other players for this jewel, and I've got no regrets. It's a 2007 Fender Modern Player Jazzmaster. Might be made in Mexico, but it's a thing of beauty. And the previous owner did just about the same mod work I would've. Mastery bridge, Fender locking tuners, and Curtis Novak Wide Range Humbuckers. My favorite kinda pickup on my favorite kinda guitar. It's been a good day.

Would welcome any advice from jazzmaster aficionados. I've never owned one before. Only admired from afar.

Attached Files:

zippofan, VWAmTele, NewKid and 12 others like this.
  2. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic

Congrats!

3. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

4. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

I believe Fender Modern Player Series guitars are made in China.

However, since you have locking tuners, a Mastery bridge and Novak pickups that point is moot. All the major components are upgraded.

My Classic Player Jazzmaster was made in Mexico. It was great stock but I put Fender Pure Vintage 65 Jazzmaster pickups in it plus a StayTrem Bridge. So now it’s even more Jazzmastery.

If I didn’t have Teles this would be my favorite guitar. I have a Strat too but that’s just because it’s the law to have one.

I think you have an absolutely top-notch JM just based on the Novak pickups alone. If the JM was my primary guitar, those are the pickups I would put in as well.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Adjust pickup heights.

search youtube for 'joe walsh gibsonuk setup' and watch videos #5 and #6. Joe shows how to transform an ok sounding guitar into something fantastic. And he shows a playing trick in there too.

7. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

Cool. I got the Sunburst MIM JM over the Summer. It has the darkest tone of any of my guitars.

8. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

9. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

Jack Clayton likes this.
  10. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

The absolute key to successful offset ownership is understanding the design. That doesn't mean you have to use it that way, but you have to know how it was designed to work if you expect to successfully deviate from it. If you take a few minutes to do some reading, the stock bridge and wiring will work just fine without all the aftermarket gizmos some people seem to think are necessary. I once set up a stock Squier VM Jazzmaster with .09s then wailed on the trem just to prove it could be done with no tuning issues.

I was just going to link this article- it's a classic.

11. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I did the same with mine, using 10's. I may go for a Mastery bridge, just because there's some rattle I still can't seem to tame, but regardless I agree it's essential to understand the rules you're working within before breaking them.

WingedWords likes this.
  12. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

:eek:I’m pretty sure you’re gonna hate it.. probably should just send it to me. :p

really though, great score. I’m guessing you are a fellow SY fan.

I’ve got a MIM Jazz as well, they have a fixed bridge unlike earlier jazzmasters. (I.e. the bridge doesn’t rock back and forth at all) and the trem was moved closer to the bridge, so all the setup in that article doesn’t really apply. The Classic Player (MIM) ones are pretty easy to set up in relation to the vintage spec ones.

Great guitars but the one thing that’s killed me about mine (also a 2007, also Novak pickups) is that the neck is not as stable as my other guitars. For some reason I find it needs an adjustment at least twice a year unless I’ve got it hanging on the wall. I’m guessing when it’s hanging the weight of the guitar is countering whatever causes the adjustment to be needed. B8B7C862-8286-4418-94F0-6C5298E2A755.jpeg

13. shupe13

shupe13 Tele-Holic

Congrats!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

14. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Congrats on your Jazz-Blaster!

15. Jack Clayton

Fortunately I have to worry about very little of that, as it seems the guy who sold it to me spared no expense on components. He didn't even tell me he'd installed a Mastery bridge! And the setup seems dead on already. I can yank the trem bar every which way, and it snaps right back to proper tuning.

NewKid likes this.
  16. Jack Clayton

You'll have to tell me what SY stands for.

17. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

Sonic Youth. Just assumed, because wide-range pickups in a jazzmaster (the jazzblaster) are so closely associated with Lee Ranaldo.

cyclopean likes this.
  18. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

I could be incorrect, but I’ve always been under the impression that Lee Ranaldo is one of the reasons those wide-range buckets have become so popular.

19. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Congrats.

Since you welcomed advice...

If you've never owned one before, how do you know it's your favorite kind of guitar, or what mods you would have done to it?

Pickup swaps? Maybe...but I'd try the stock ones first before jumping to that conclusion. They are things of beauty for many types of music. WRHBs make the guitar into something very different.

The Mastery stuff is unnecessary if you know how to set a JM/Jag up. It's just a very expensive Band-Aid for problems that don't really exist. There are specific times you could benefit from it, e.g. if you play like the Sonic Youth guitarists, basically just using the guitar as a noisemaking device. Then you don't care if the thing acts like a "real" Jazzmaster or not. You just need heavy duty hardware so you can wank about like crazy and not have the thing physically fall apart. Thurston Moore has his bridge totally decked and his rhythm circuit completely removed – the opposite of what's great about a Jazzmaster. He doesn't use it for "normal" playing, like most people do. He doesn't even tune his main guitar for music any more – just for noise.

You're saying they are your favorite guitars and you've never owned one...yet you are getting practically none of what makes a Jazzmaster what it is. I'm sure you'll enjoy the guitar for what it is, but don't make the conceptual error of thinking you are actually experiencing a Jazzmaster with it.

Basically, it's like you're going straight for a pre-built custom hot rod, before even learning how to change the oil on a Tercel.

Since you already have the expensive stuff, no point getting rid of it. But you still have to learn how to set the thing up well. I'm not sure how useful the typical Jazzmaster controls will be with WRHBs. The circuit is built around taking a light output pickup and being able to get any tone you want from it, from overly dark to overly bright, and anything in between. Dropping a firebreather in to that circuit will change things a bit, especially in terms of how useful the rhythm circuit might be.

Like I said, it is what it is, and there's nothing wrong with that. But don't go around thinking that's what a JM is like, or that one needs all that stuff added in order to work right and sound good.

Setting up Jags and JMs is easy, if you understand how they are engineered. They are designed to be set up like a Gibson with a Bigsby and a rocker bridge – not like your typical Fender guitar.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  20. Jack Clayton

Yeah, this is why I ask these questions. I say jazzmasters are my favorite style of guitar because I've played many of them, and they are my favorite style of guitar. Admittedly, I don't have the education to tell you why. I like the scale of the neck, and the balance and weight of it. I like the "jangle" or "sparkle" it seems to have as opposed to a tele or strat (I always guessed that related to sympathetic vibration of the strings behind the bridge, but never actuallt knew for sure) I also dig the look. And when the tremolo system is set up.properly (it seems to be on this one) I prefer it to a strat or bigsby style.

When I say these are the upgrades I would've done, I don't necessarily mean the bridge. I would've put more time into educating myself before throwing two hundred dollars at the wall. I was mostly referring to locking tuners (something I'm rarely happy without) and the wide range humbuckers. If I'd started with a stock jazzmaster, I likely would've spent more time with the pickups before swapping them out, but WRHB's are my all-time favorite pickup, and they seem to pair beautifully with the aforementioned "sparkle" so I'm not gonna complain.

This is all good info, but I'm not nothing you're saying is giving me buyer's remorse. I wasn't specifically looking for a "true" or "authentic" JM. Though I'll likely get one some day in the name of self-education.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.