NGD. MIM 69' Thinline

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by GaryOsborne, Dec 14, 2014.

1. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Got it in a trade. Pretty cool guitar with a great U shaped neck. The bridge pickup is actually really good IMO but I'll probably swap the neck pup as its real dark and kinda muddy. The pots are silent which is good but their sweep isn't good at all. If you turn the volume pot down just a hare you lose a ton of tone. The tone pot is weird too. You have to turn it almost all the way down to hear a difference. I'll probably swap those out as I use them a lot. Other than that I'm going to save the back of the neck which is something I do with any guitar that hasn't had it done already.

I think this is part of the MIM classic series IIRC and if so then they've got another gem. I played many guitars in the store and this one felt the best. The PV64 sounded superior but I hated the neck. It felt way too fat for a 60s profile IMO. I'll keep it short as I posted about it in another thread. I'll make a video of it soon.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1418598831.936160.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1418598843.502617.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1418598859.798373.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1418598876.792216.jpg

2. kyussvegas

kyussvegas Tele-Holic

Nice score!

I recently played one of these and I'm still in shock. I loved both pickups (prefer my neck pickups a bit darker, suited me well) and everything about the guitar screamed \m/ ROCK ON \m/ when I plugged it in. It's on my shortlist of potential next Teles. Congrats, hope you enjoy it!

3. pmcgee

pmcgee Tele-Meister

I have one of these in sunburst also. Mine is a 2009 I think (serial(MZ936....). Ash body. Nice guitar. I didn't like the original pickups though so I swapped them out for Duncan 5-2. This one barely weighs 6lbs. Congrats Gary..

4. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Yeah mines crazy light as well. Idk the year I'll have to check. Mine is ash and sunburst as well. I've never played the AVRI 69' but I can't imagine it's much better. Mine was used and marked at like $499 and I got it for $450 I think. Idk as it was part of an elaborate trade.
    It looks BRAND new, I can't find a single scuff. Also came with the cool molded Fender case.
    I'll upgrade the neck pup, pots and maybe add a 4 way switch. That and sanding the back of the neck will make this thing a tone monster.
    Still trying to decide on the pickup. Might go with a used Budz Stylemaster ($70).
    Might look for one of those pre wired 4-way harnesses under the Christmas tree ;)

5. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

From your description it sounds like you have an unbypassed audio taper volume pot and a linear taper tone pot. You could try moving the wire that feeds the tone pot, called the 50's wiring or fezz parka mod. I think from your playing style you would enjoy a linear taper volume pot and an audio taper tone pot. The pots fender uses on the PV series are also available I believe. Or ask Nash what he uses.. if the neck pickup sounds good at 100% volume and tone there may be ways to improve on its tone at lower volume.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Congrats, Gary!

The center joined, chevroned back looks like it'd have been light even if it was a solid body.

Btw the pots if stock are One Meg each. I went to the usual 250 K audio taper, 4 way switch. The bridge pickup in mine had already been swapped to a Seymour STK T3b which did not get along IMO with the stock neck pup. I put Keystones in mine, but hearing lots of good things about the Budz stuff.

Great deal, btw. I paid less but the frets are pretty worn, usually find myself putting another neck on there from time to time.

7. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Basically the bridge pickup sounds great with vol and tone maxed. If I back the volume off like 1% (on the bridge) I lose like 30-40 of the fatness and good sounding stuff (it's hard to describe, lol). But with the tone pot it's the opposite. I have to roll it down like 60% to hear any difference and from there it gets real dark real quick.
    With the neck pup it just doesn't sound that good period, even with the volume and tone maxed. But if I run it through the BB Preamp (active treble and bass) and I boost the Treb a little and cut the bass a little it sounds pretty good. But I don't want to have to designate that pedal specifically to making my neck pup sound good, lol. Everything thing else in the guitar is perfect so I don't mind buying a neck pickup and some pots.
    Pots are really important to me and my playing but I don't know much about them. I've just always been lucky and had good ones. I need to be able to roll the volume knob back like a quarter and only lose volume. And I need to be able to roll the tone knob back and have a nice smooth decay of brightness.
    I looked at some prewired assemblies but I don't think they'll fit in the Thinline. It doesn't have the classic Tele control plate.

8. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Could you give me some links? I need a 4 way assembly for the Thinline (with pots).

9. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

The guy from Budz is really cool. I've been talking to him and he's super helpful.

10. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

HNGD! Love the thinline look...

11. Sandia Man

Sandia Man Tele-Meister

I got one of these, pretty guitar and super light. The figure on yours is awesome, especially the bookmatched back. Stunner!

It is harder to get into than a standard tele, and after a lot of guesswork I ended up with what Waparker described -- a linear taper volume pot and an audio taper tone pot -- both 250k, and a mylar .047 cap

A Seymour Duncan 5/2 works fine in the neck, I think it's a good match. A little '59 and a modern style bridge...pretty much the worst idea ever. It seems to favor sweetness over aggression

12. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Hngd to you, looks lovely!

13. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Try adjusting the pickup height as well as the 50's wiring..

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like this version:

http://www.tdpri.com/articles/gifs/tele_4way.gif

Rob DiStefano has a version with the series and parallel next to one another and neck at the one end and bridge at the other - but I like throwing the switch to the end for that "afterburner" or HB effect of both pups in series.

15. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Rob'a sounds interesting but I like the idea of the 3 normal positions staying the same and then having the series in the last pos. is that considered the "last" position? I've always just assumed the bridge pup alone was pos. 1.

16. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Edit. NM

17. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Fezz Parka Mod.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.