NGD MIK Gretsch G5622T

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Cysquatch, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

My first foray into the semi-hollow world, and man is it sweet. Plays great, sounds great, weighs nothing, sits on a strap just right, and looks killer. I love the Super HiLo'Trons. They're really versatile, but never lose their own really neat voice. The neck is a little on the thicker side of the now-standard "Thin U" Gretsch is using, and feels very, very nice. And best of all, it keeps tune exceptionally well for a bone stock import Bigsby. I can't put the dang thing down. It's hard to believe I waited so long to grab a semi-hollow, it's got a lot to offer from the whole spectrum of guitar construction. Now I just need to grab a proper classic style strip-and-pad strap for it to complete the package.

I tried to get some other greenery in the photos for reference as this Georgia Green finish is so odd to try and photograph and looks different with any change in angle or light. Seems much more teal in photos than to the eye in real life for whatever reason. But, either way, it's a total looker to me. And yeah, I do keep the rubber tips on Bigsby arms as long as they'll stay. Dorky? Sure, but they feel nice to me.

IMG_20200620_201139173.jpg

IMG_20200620_201151902.jpg

IMG_20200620_201214399.jpg

Now, some of you may have seen me espousing the virtues of downsizing around here. And I still believe that and am still actively thinning things out. But, the simple fact is that I got a deal too sweet to refuse on this thing, hypocrisy be damned! Short version: I got one of the last MIK models around for right at $600, new in box. Long version/background follows for the truly bored.

I played, and thoroughly enjoyed, a good number of these back when I was shopping around for a semi or full hollow Gretsch a few years back and I ended up with my G5420T. But, I was just dead set on getting a full on beefer of a guitar, I suppose - not to speak ill of my beloved fat boy. Recently, I noticed that the G5622s I was seeing around were now showing up with the Black Top Broad'Trons instead of the Super HiLo'Trons. This was odd to me as I remembered loving these pickups and thought I remembered seeing a lot of similar opinions at the time. So I dug around, to find out the Korean production had been shut down for almost all Gretsch models with production moving to China, and some electronics being swapped around.

I have a real soft spot for Korean-made guitars, and have had great experience with their bang:buck ratio. I truly love my G5420T, and my absolute favorite guitar is a MIK Lite Ash Tele from '04. So, realizing the Korean G5622s were now a thing of the past, I had to check and see if any were still in back stock. Luckily there were a decent few, but mostly at full sticker prices, and I'm just too darn cheap for that. The gods would soon bless me, followed with a strong curse. Guitar Center pops up a random clearance price for one of these, in this color I love, for $599 brand dang new. I immediately went for it, only to be emailed later by Guitar Denter to find out that not only was this their absolute last in stock, but they had also completely broken the headstock while it was in storage. Customary refunds and regrets followed.

Undeterred, and perhaps with a splash of vindictive motivation, I went on the prowl to find another NOS model of these at a comparable price. As luck/hours and hours and hours of internet trawling would have it, I found one for just $608 from some very fine Canadian folks at Tundra Music (seriously, the nicest folks I've ever dealt with) and pulled the trigger. Short while later, and here we are. It's an excellent instrument, the price was outstanding, and I have some weird sense of special value for it being one of last of its kind - to put it dramatically.

2. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

What a looker!
    And now, the "other twang".
    You're being seduced.
    Willingly I'd bet.

Cysquatch likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

Cysquatch likes this.
  4. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

I'm certainly not unhappy about it. "Other twang" is a really good way of explaining that bridge pickup, I've been having a hard time trying to articulate it to folks. It's twangy, but not Telecaster twangy, and real punchy with drive but in a different way than a Tele. It's really something neat, must be "That Great Gretsch Sound". :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.