NGD- Martin 000C-16RTGE

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by NateD81, Nov 7, 2019 at 3:22 PM.

1. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

So I was browsing Craigslist killing time this morning. Someone posted an ad for a garage sale and saw a picture for a Martin. I asked how much they were asking...$100 No joke. I didn’t even care what model, for $100 I’m a buyer. Just picked it up, Martin case and all and it’s a beauty! I’m literally never this lucky. I think I ought to check to make sure it’s not stolen but the story I was given seemed pretty legit so hopefully it’s free and clear.

Any ideas how to find out more about this guitar? If I message Martin, should they be able to tell me more about it if I provide the serial number?

Slap Axe and studio1087 like this.
  2. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

We want pictures.

NateD81, Piggy Stu and f69tele like this.
  3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

It's a 000 (folk sized) Martin with a Cutaway with Rosewood back and sides and a gloss top and it has electronics. Am I right?

If you can see the serial number on the neck heel block (inside) then you can use this chart to tell the age......

https://reverb.com/news/dating-martin-guitars-by-serial-number

Your guitar is 100% solid wood. The necks on 16's have been Mahogany or Spanish Cedar. The top is Alpine spruce and the back & sides are rosewood. If the fretboard is jet black and absolutely smooth then it's Micarta (which plays like lightening - if it looks like wood then it's rosewood.

The neck set is a mortise & tenon on 16's (not a locking dovetail).

It should be worth $700 to $1000. You had a great day today. Congratulations!

NateD81 and JL_LI like this.
  4. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

Once I get it home I will for sure - had to pick it up on the way to taking my son to the doctor but I will tonight for sure

studio1087 likes this.
  5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

The S/N to Martin will tell you if it was ever registered when new. The S/N to the local police will tell you if its hot.

NateD81 likes this.
  6. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

When I get home this evening I’ll look the serial number.
    The best thing about getting the guitar for $100 Is I got no complaints from the wife

twangjeff likes this.
  7. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Studio1087 was right about everything except I'm pretty sure the top is Sitka spruce, not Alpine, which is a more rare and costly European spruce usually reserved for much more expensive Martins. And it has great sounding Fishman electronics onboard. But, you have an amazing sounding Martin with a solid spruce top and solid rosewood back and sides that went for around $1500 when new, so you really scored big time! And you don't even need to email Martin to know when it was made. You can if you want more details about it, but here's a serial number chart from Martin's website. But, you reversed the G and T. It's a 00016CRGTE. The 000 is the size, the C means cutaway, the R means rosewood back and sides, the GT means gloss top, and the E means onboard pickup and preamp. Now, go play that thing!
    I worked at the #1 Martin dealer here in Hawaii for 14 years, and the rosewood 16 series guitars were the best bang for the buck in the whole Martin line, and were offered in Mahogany and Rosewood versions, but the newest 16s are now all rosewood since the latest CITES restrictions on rosewood for musical instruments has been repealed.
    https://www.martinguitar.com/about/martin-story/serial-number-lookup

NateD81 and studio1087 like this.
  8. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Funnily enough, I bought a OOO copy today

Not Martin, but thought to type to mention the coincidence. Mine also has an odd story to how I found it

NateD81 likes this.
  9. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

Ok so I got this guy hope tonight and put new strings on. Sounds great - still can’t believe my luck. I’m definitely not accomplished enough to do it justice but a real joy to play. Best I can tell is that it’s a 2006/07 from the SN.

One question I do have is about setup. I’m primarily a tele player and have never had an acoustic setup - what would you guys have done on this guitar? I play finger style 90% of the time, and I’d prefer a slightly lower action, is that’s a doable request/expectation?

thanks guys!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 12:01 AM
    Slap Axe and FenderGuy53 like this.
  10. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

I’ve been playing my Sigma 000M-15+ for awhile and it honestly sounds great! I A/B’ed it against my Martin tonight and while there’s a difference, it amazed me how well a $300 Sigma held up all things considered.

what did you pick up today?

11. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Funny, all of my used guitars cost $100 these days....

NateD81 and stealyerface like this.
  12. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I'm putting @NateD81 on my ignore user list.

;)

So jealous.

NateD81 likes this.
  13. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

I dont know. A Martin for $100 on Craigslist is axe murderer territory. You're a brave man and it paid off.

NateD81 and stealyerface like this.
  14. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

Ha! If I ever unexpectedly passed away, and my wife liquidated my guitars for their “perceived” values, versus their actual values, she’d leave about $5000 on the table... and that doesn’t include the ‘54 Martin...
    Maybe I should leave notes in their cases!!
    ~syf

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  15. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Keep in mind that on a OOO, you typically want to use lighter gauge strings, especially for fingerstyle. On my OOO, I use silk and steel 11s, and it plays great. I really like it, because I have almost identical gauges on my tele that I have on my acoustic.

NateD81 likes this.
  16. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

same thought went through my head. I took the chance because it was in a very nice neighborhood and I had my mother-in-law and son waiting in the car (we were going to a doctor’s appointment) so I figured it was worth a shot - but I was a little nervous! I honestly thought maybe the guy texted a typo and meant 1000 instead of 100.

The funny thing is - the ad was for a garage sale of a bunch of different “folk” instruments this Saturday. I just texted the guy to see what the Martin was and how much since he didn’t have any prices. He was reluctant to sell before the garage sale because he didn’t want to deal with CL flakes, but since I was in the area and could come right away he relented. I seriously never get this lucky so I can probably count this as my deal of a lifetime.

I guess lesson here is: scan craigslist when you’re bored!

Nightclub Dwight and Rayf_Brogan like this.
  17. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Check out Martin's website for info on guitar specs and production date.

You did good on the purchase, NateD81. Now, you'll have to decide if you like it.

I know one thing - LOVE my Martin's!

NateD81 likes this.
  18. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Wow! She's a beauty! :)

NateD81 likes this.
  19. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

do you have a brand you recommend? I usually use elixer - I like the feel of coated strings but I’m open to suggestions!

20. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

I use Daddario, but I think that material and gauge is more important than brand. Any Silk/Steel 11s or 12s should work just fine. To my ears, a smaller body acoustic like a OOO wants that slinkier sound of a set like that, whereas when you have a Dreadnaught or a Jumbo, you want to hear the burly growl of 13 phos bronze or 80/20. It's like having an intimate conversation, as opposed to shouting. YMMV.

NateD81 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.