NGD - Les Paul Tribute

sammy123

Tele-Meister
I grabbed one of these from Sweetwater for a milestone birthday gift to myself. It arrived yesterday and I have not even plugged it in yet.

Right out of the box is played really well. I did lower the bridge a bit. Frets feel nice. The nut is cut well. The finish is super thin and there are a couple rough spots, but nothing worth returning it for. One thing that is noticeable is the transition from the maple neck to the sides of the rosewood fretboard. It isn’t quite smooth. It could be that the two woods expand/contract differently. Overall though initial impressions are mostly good. I’m excited to plug it in. I think I’ll oil the fretboard as it looks pretty dry, but nothing else for now. Thanks for looking.

This is the actual guitar photo Sweetwater emailed me after I bought it.

05414039-3AEE-49F3-98E0-C8B772246AD6.jpeg

tshoe71

Tele-Meister
Great guitar! I had one of the cherry bursts up until recently and enjoyed it very much. Was actually at a concert a month back and the guitarist for one of the bands was using a honeyburst version throughout.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
That's my favorite burst color scheme. Any thought to putting a clear gloss finish on it?

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I grabbed one of these from Sweetwater for a milestone birthday gift to myself. It arrived yesterday and I have not even plugged it in yet.

Right out of the box is played really well. I did lower the bridge a bit. Frets feel nice. The nut is cut well. The finish is super thin and there are a couple rough spots, but nothing worth returning it for. One thing that is noticeable is the transition from the maple neck to the sides of the rosewood fretboard. It isn’t quite smooth. It could be that the two woods expand/contract differently. Overall though initial impressions are mostly good. I’m excited to plug it in. I think I’ll oil the fretboard as it looks pretty dry, but nothing else for now. Thanks for looking.

View attachment 924798

The 'transition' between the width of the neck and the width of the fretboard isn't uncommon. My 2012 50s Tribute has the same issue. It's not expansion or contraction, it's a manufacturing issue. It's no big deal, but I don't know why they still can't get it right.

Ignatius

Friend of Leo's
Congrats!

I have one of the 2010 first run models with the P90s. Hadn’t been playing it for a while. I took photos of it to list it on Reverb. Plugged it in just to give it a final test before listing. I had already composed the listing, just had to hit the Publish button.

Within two minutes of playing it I decided I’m keeping it. They’re cool guitars for the money, especially when bought used. USA made, pleked, proper wiring. Mine has a really neat vibe to it. It’s nothing like traditional LP's I’ve played (and own). It’s its own thing, a unique instrument in many ways that just happens to be in the shape of a LP.

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
Congrats. I've been eyeing one of those for a while now. I'd really like to know your impressions after playing it for a while...

sammy123

Tele-Meister
Thanks for the comments everyone. I don’t think I would ever risk putting a gloss finish on it myself. I’m fine with it as is. I could see myself putting in a more traditional 50s wiring harness for fun, but I am traveling and have not even plugged it in yet. Can’t wait to plug it in Monday.

dreamingtele

Friend of Leo's

View attachment 924798

The 'transition' between the width of the neck and the width of the fretboard isn't uncommon. My 2012 50s Tribute has the same issue. It's not expansion or contraction, it's a manufacturing issue. It's no big deal, but I don't know why they still can't get it right.

hahaha, you think it's only on the entry/lower tier models? heck my 330 has the same issue with the mahogany neck going into the fretboard binding.. LOL.. but yeah, not really a super big deal as I can only really feel it when I'm really trying to feel it.. LOL.. but you're right @archetype I dont know why they still cant get it right either!

Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

in comparison, my Korean Peerless Epi 295, which costs 1/4th of the price got this neck-fretboard/binding perfect..

Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

itstooloudMike

Tele-Meister
I just got a used LP Tribute (2020), and like it a lot. The neck is very comfortable, and the frets are nice. It really plays well. I like the maple neck, and the guitar is very resonant unplugged. The overall weight is pretty light for a Les Paul, probably close to 8 lbs. I also like the satin finish (cherry burst). Mine seems to hold tuning well. The soft case is even pretty nice. I thought I was done with Les Pauls, but this one might be just what I needed. My last LP was an R8, which I rarely played because it was heavy, and worth so much I didn’t want to risk a scratch. I sold it, and vowed to never have another LP. But the LP Tribute was cheap, plays well, looks cool, and is reasonably light. I think this one will stay for awhile. Not gonna replace my Telecasters, but still a fun guitar. I’m happy with it.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I have a 2010 Gold Top Trib with P90's. This thing has been through so many different incarnations. P90s, Minihums, Bigsby/Vibramate, roller bridge, locking tuners. It's now back to its original form except for the locking tuners and Bootstrap Screwdriver P90's. An unextraordinary butcher block build but it plays and sounds nice. Enjoy.

gabeNC

Tele-Meister
I almost bought the Tribute but ended up ordering Epiphone. I'm quite happy.

Thanks a nice guitar you have.

John C

Friend of Leo's
Nice; congrats! I have a late 2020 LP Tribute that I got back in March - I went with the iced tea burst - and have been really happy with it. I guess either I got luck or over the past 7-8 months I never noticed any noticeable transition between the neck and the fingerboard. I did a slight mod to mine - adding Kluson Revolution locking tuners because I'm terrible at restringing the stock type of tuner (too many years with Fenders with split-post tuners or with locking tuners depending on the model). I should stress that I never had any tuning issues with the stock tuners; this one held it's tuning great! It was purely a convenience thing for me. I also picked up a Gibson hard case for it - used up some rewards certificates at Guitar Center to get the case for half price.

4DRtyCGl.jpg