NGD: Les Paul Special

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by DSharp, Aug 5, 2018.

1. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

It's a 2015, with the dreaded (or not) G-FORCE tuners and slug-magnet p90s. I love the wide neck and the fact that it's got single volume and tone controls--never bonded with the four knobs on my Gold Top. It's also a couple pounds lighter than old Goldie....

It plays like a dream and sounds great. Nice beef to the tone which should only get better when I string it up with 11s. Maybe I'll mod something in the future (because I spend too much time on Internet forums...), but for now I'm just going to put some Schaller strap buttons on it and haul it to my next gig.

Les Paul Special.jpg

howardlo, Mouth, robinn and 17 others like this.
  2. dimojoe

dimojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nice.

DSharp likes this.
  3. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Nice grab. Nothing to mid there. Plug n go.
    Have fun with it!

DSharp likes this.
  4. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

great guitar, i left the auto tuners on, they work great,,congrats !!

DSharp likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Kewl!

DSharp likes this.
  6. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    Congrats. Nice guitar. Enjoy it.

Personally I'm a little more traditional though. Prefer a '60 Special version. But that's just me. o_O

DSharp likes this.
  7. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Nice. My only suggestion is if it still has the brass nut go ahead and contact Gibson and have them send you the replacement titanium version; evidently using the GForce tuners a lot will cause the brass version to wear out quickly.

DSharp likes this.
  8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Great guitar! Congratulations!

DSharp likes this.
  9. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Very nice.

If you don't like the G-Force tuners, I'm pretty sure you could drop in a set of Grovers with no issue.

DSharp likes this.
  10. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Great score! I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the simplicity of these. Enjoy!

DSharp likes this.
  11. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I have a 2015 LP Standard with the wide neck. I have thick fingers so hoped the wide neck would be a positive.

I have 'a few' guitars so hopping between necks and brands has never been an issue. Surprisingly the wider neck and/or profile has taken me 6 months to get used too. I was worried for a bit there becasue I was struggling.

I just realised (with great relief) a few weeks ago that I no longer 'notice' the width and play it as per any other guitar now.

Sadly my G Force tuners packed up about 3 weeks in to me owning it. I really liked the concept but had them replaced with Grovers. I did consider to replace them with the same again but fears of them failing again AND slowly coming to the conclusion it was more to fail in the long term (and reluctantly, a bit gimmicky) had me just go for standard tuners.

I also had the soft brass nut that wore grooves in. Getting Gibson support down here has proven impossible but the TUSQ 2015 nut has worked exceptionally well.

I also love the zero fret and adjustible nut height, I think that is one of the greatest guitar inventions of all time. Not sure if yours has that?

Anyway, hope you love it as much as I love my 2015! :)

DSharp likes this.
  12. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Keeping it simple. Nice axe.

DSharp likes this.
  13. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

Congrats! I have those slug magnet P90S pickups in my 2014 Melody Maker ... they are incredible!

DSharp likes this.
  14. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

Thanks, guys! I had a chance to play it for an hour last night and I'm really happy with it. Interesting to read about the brass nut wearing out. It came with a white replacement that I assume is TUSQ. I'll see how the brass holds up, and check out the titanium option as well. The seller also threw in a new set of Hipshot locking tuners, so I've got options there, too.

15. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

Check with Gibson but I thought I read that they will send you a replacement nut.

Edit: sorry but I didn't read the previous post by John C about contacting Gibson for the nut. [emoji32] oops!

DSharp likes this.
  16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The fact that some people would consider replacing the G-Force tuners with manual tuners has me really confused.... my only guess is that some people just love tuning their guitars.

DSharp likes this.
  17. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

Thanks John C and INFANT. I just sent Gibson an email. I'm sure the time is up for free titanium replacements, but it didn't cost me much to send the email....

INFANT likes this.
  18. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

I have to give a plug for Gibson warranty service: They've already sent me an email saying I'll have a new titanium nut in 7 to 10 days. Pretty amazing given I'm not even the original owner!

BobbyZ, 3-Chord-Genius and kookaburra like this.
  19. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I think they realized it was a bit of a screw-up on their part that the brass they used was too soft. Some early purchasers (back in the fall of 2014 when these came out) who really used the GForce tuners a lot found that they were wearing grooves into the brass, so Gibson responded with the titanium replacement. I believe the last of the 2015 models to be completed had the titanium version, and all subsequent year "HP" models have used the titanium version - even those "HP II" models that came out earlier this year that have locking Grovers instead of the GForce system.

DSharp likes this.
  20. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

It sounds like the brass wasn't up to the job. I'm still happy they're shipping me the titanium version for free!

I'm not sure if I'll keep the GForce tuners or not. They're kind of cool, but I need to see how the work in practice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.