NGD - Les Paul Gold Top 50's

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
You certainly did it the right way: sacrificing your wants for the needs of your family *for years* makes getting your dream guitar even sweeter.

I'm in the guitar business, and I can confidently say the quality of Gibson's products over the past five years or so is leaps and bounds better than it has been since I started paying close attention to them in the early 1980s.

Their quality of materials and fit and finish have been extremely good.

People gripe about how much they cost... but take a tour of any big-name US guitar maker and you'll understand why the cost so much: there is a whole lot of hand work on them.

At Gibson and PRS, somewhere around 35-40 (sometimes more) individuals have had their hands on every guitar before it ships to the dealer.
Based on my research, I also think that Gibson has been making great stuff lately.

Cost of any item is a relevant thing. For some it is extremely pricey and not justifiable, for others it is not. As I have said, I am really happy to be able to buy it, I know that some cant.
I look at it this way. I will have this guitar for 30, 40 years. Who knows how long I will be able to play it, till I get too old. So if you divide the price of this guitar to the many months and years of playing it is really not that expensive. But most importantly this guitar will bring me joy whenever I will play it. And some day I will pass this guitar to someone who will enjoy playing it as I did. And that is the most important thing.
Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
Boat anchor criticism has always been way over-blown. Most of them are very nice guitars.
It was maybe the one typical complaint that I could believe, I've only played one and I don't really remember it. I've always found Gibson guitars to be nicer than Fender but I'm not about to say that here.

...uh oh...

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
I have been looking for a used LP locally for quite some time. There were some LPs, but for high prices, so why not and buy a new one.
The only reason I’m opposed to a new one is the “new factor”. I don’t want to buy another perfect guitar because I fret about getting that first scratch, that first ding, etc. I know it sounds a little loony, but I want one that’s already dinged up a bit.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
The only reason I’m opposed to a new one is the “new factor”. I don’t want to buy another perfect guitar because I fret about getting that first scratch, that first ding, etc. I know it sounds a little loony, but I want one that’s already dinged up a bit.
I can understand that. I already unintentionally made a first really small ding next to the guitar jack 🙈🤭. It is small and on the place that is not so visible. C'est la vie.
On the plus side, this guitar is now really unique and truly mine.

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
Nice one!

1652255748431.gif

golfnut

Friend of Leo's
Based on my research, I also think that Gibson has been making great stuff lately.

Cost of any item is a relevant thing. For some it is extremely pricey and not justifiable, for others it is not. As I have said, I am really happy to be able to buy it, I know that some cant.
I look at it this way. I will have this guitar for 30, 40 years. Who knows how long I will be able to play it, till I get too old. So if you divide the price of this guitar to the many months and years of playing it is really not that expensive. But most importantly this guitar will bring me joy whenever I will play it. And some day I will pass this guitar to someone who will enjoy playing it as I did. And that is the most important thing.
Just my two cents.
Don't worry about getting old. If you can hold your head up and place that gitar in your lap sitting down, you'll be able to play it.

Hodgo88

Tele-Meister
When I was 13 I had just started to learn on a Sears "Stella by Harmony" acoustic, I remember flipping through the pages of a Musicians Friend magazine thinking about what kind of electric guitar I wanted. Only two guitars jumped off the page at me, and a Goldtop was one of them. Congrats on fulfilling a dream!

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
The Gibson Demo Shop (Reverb) has been unloading a couple of Slash Victoria's each week. That is a sexy Gold Top (dark back with naked pups)!