NGD - Les Paul Gold Top 50's

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
A Fender Telecaster in Butterscotch Blonde and a Gibson Les Paul Gold Top. That are the two guitars that I have always wanted. A dream for me. I remember when I was a teenager that I had photos of these two on the wall in my bedroom.
Now, many years later, I have a good job and a family. And I have been good - worked hard with overtime when needed, getting promotions, taking care of the family, being a good dad, spending time with my kids, and saving some money each month for many years just for myself.
I bought my Fender Tele BSB about 3 years ago and decided that it is also finally the time to buy a Gibson Les Paul Gold Top.
To be honest, I hesitated with a Gibson Les Paul for a while. I thought about a Tokai or Epiphone LP... but in the end I realised that this guitars are great and probably more than I really need for home playing but at the same time I will always want a Gibson. So I went for it and bought a new Gibson LP 2022.

I actually have this guitar for a month now, but didn't have the time to post about it here.
I am impressed. It really is a joy to play it. I even enjoy just looking at it from all the different angles, because aesthetically it is a masterpiece.
I have heard a lot of criticism about Gibson over the years and what is wrong with its guitars, but to be honest, I can not find anything wrong with it. Moreover, it plays and sounds phenomenally. Right out of the box, the guitar was set up perfectly. No twisted neck, no fretbuzz, no problem with going out of tune - I play it for an hour one day and an hour the next day with lots of bending and it stays in tune just like my Tele. So no problems with that. And the smell of the lacquer... niceeeeeee. Ever since I got this guitar, it is the only one that I play.
I think the pickups are great - for now I mostly play it in the middle position with getting many different sounds just by rotating the volume and tone knobs. With the tone all the way up and both volumes on 9 into a Fender Deluxe I get a really nice clean sound. For a dirtier sound I mostly add a Boss BD-2 (plus a TC Spark), lower the neck volume to about 8,5 and bridge to 9,5 which gives me that nice crunch sound. When going into a solo I add fuzz or Boss SD-1 or just turn the neck volume to 9 or 9,5, to give me just a bit more of that bass and lower mids.

I haven't changed the strings yet, but when I do, I will add some lemon oil on the fretboard, but at the moment it doesnt look too dry.

I feel like I am really happy now with my guitar collection. It is all I have ever wanted and all that I will ever need. I am truly happy and grateful!

And now the photos or it didn't happen ;)

Attachments

• 20220502_183645.jpg
    20220502_183645.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 20220502_183709.jpg
    20220502_183709.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 20220502_183745.jpg
    20220502_183745.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 20220502_183847.jpg
    20220502_183847.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 20220502_182037.jpg
    20220502_182037.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 20220502_182010.jpg
    20220502_182010.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 135

CX Hunter

Tele-Meister
Schweet. Good on yer. I had a Gold Top bought new around ‘89 and through a Deluxe Reverb it totally had that Jimmy Page sound. Sold it when I was cash poor. Miss it. Tho… with some of the money from the sale of LP, I bought my first Tele, so it all worked out. Enjoy!

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
Beautiful, what a great guitar, congratulations!

I have one just like it, it's my #1 BY FAR. I have other guitars out and play them sometimes, but they just don't have it the way the Gold Top does.

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
I have an imitation with P90's because I can't afford the real deal.
The Gibson gold top is what I think of when I think electric guitar, if i had to choose just one guitar for all eternity that'd be it.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
Beautiful guitar! I too have always wanted a gold top. I keep a Reverb, eBay, and SearchTempest searches going for a P-90, stop tail gold top (no Studios, no satin finishes) for under $2000, but they're few and far between.
I have been looking for a used LP locally for quite some time. There were some LPs, but for high prices, so why not and buy a new one.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
Way to go, seems like it means more when you save for it.
It does mean more. And when you save for sth for quite a while, it is a decision well made, because it is not a decision you make in a hurry. You have lots of time to think if this item is what you really want.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
Schweet. Good on yer. I had a Gold Top bought new around ‘89 and through a Deluxe Reverb it totally had that Jimmy Page sound. Sold it when I was cash poor. Miss it. Tho… with some of the money from the sale of LP, I bought my first Tele, so it all worked out. Enjoy!
Ah... sorry for that Les Paul of yours. Hopefully you have already or will get another one.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
Beautiful, what a great guitar, congratulations!

I have one just like it, it's my #1 BY FAR. I have other guitars out and play them sometimes, but they just don't have it the way the Gold Top does.
For me it is totally the same. I realise that I am still in a so called honeymoon period right now, but I have a strong feeling that this guitar will get a lot of playing time in the future :cool:👍

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Right out of the box, the guitar was set up perfectly. No twisted neck, no fretbuzz, no problem with going out of tune

You certainly did it the right way: sacrificing your wants for the needs of your family *for years* makes getting your dream guitar even sweeter.

I'm in the guitar business, and I can confidently say the quality of Gibson's products over the past five years or so is leaps and bounds better than it has been since I started paying close attention to them in the early 1980s.

Their quality of materials and fit and finish have been extremely good.

People gripe about how much they cost... but take a tour of any big-name US guitar maker and you'll understand why the cost so much: there is a whole lot of hand work on them.

At Gibson and PRS, somewhere around 35-40 (sometimes more) individuals have had their hands on every guitar before it ships to the dealer.

Sconnie

Friend of Leo's
Gibson criticism has always been way over-blown, especially on this forum (with the exception of boat anchor 70s LPs). Good for you for taking care of all your business and putting yourself in the position to do this for yourself, that's great! Enjoy that beauty of an LP, I bet it rips!

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Gibson criticism has always been way over-blown, especially on this forum (with the exception of boat anchor 70s LPs). Good for you for taking care of all your business and putting yourself in the position to do this for yourself, that's great! Enjoy that beauty of an LP, I bet it rips!

Boat anchor criticism has always been way over-blown. Most of them are very nice guitars.