NGD: Kotzen Telecaster, huge sound

rocker71

TDPRI Member
Just acquired a Kotzen Tele and this thing is superb!
Mine is 3,6 kg (8lb), so a reasonable weight.
Looks are triple A and the build quality and feel is top notch. Compared to this Tele, all my other guitars feel like toys :)

Not per se a Kotzen fan, but I coulnd't resist all the great specs: jumbo frets, 12 inch radius, binding, comfort body, big and satin finished neck, Dimarzio pickups, solid tuners.

Initial concerns: no tone control and grounding. Got this baby three days ago, so I have to find these things out myself.
Pictures (hope it works):

qekoNAH.jpg

A9yf0KV.jpg

AtlanticCity83

Tele-Meister
Fantastic guitar! Enjoy your new Tele. I once installed this pickup configuration in a 50s CV Tele and it was awesome. Although a HB in SC size, the Chopper still has Twang.

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
Beautiful, congrats!

2 questions: I see a tone knob, why no tone control?

and, why is a tone control not needed for this guitar?

Tone knob is a series/parallel switch if I remember correctly.

The bridge pickup is a Dimarzio Chopper T. A rail humbucker that matches up well with the Twang King neck pickup.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Beautiful, congrats!

2 questions: I see a tone knob, why no tone control?

and, why is a tone control not needed for this guitar?
What looks like a tone control is a rotary switch to switch the coils in the humbucking bridge pickup between series and parallel. Super cool feature. Much more useful than a coil tap.

I’m biased against tone controls. I don’t generally like them and find them fairly useless. I mostly think they ought to be called tone killing controls. But on this particular guitar, it sounds so fat and snarly it really doesn’t need any high end attenuation that can’t happen at the amp.

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
What looks like a tone control is a rotary switch to switch the coils in the humbucking bridge pickup between series and parallel. Super cool feature. Much more useful than a coil tap. I’m biased against tone controls. I don’t generally like them and find them fairly useless. I mostly think they ought to be called tone killing controls. But on this particular guitar, it sounds so fat and snarly it really doesn’t need any high end attenuation that can’t happen at the amp.

Thank you Jakedog for that specific and to-the-point info, I learn things every day here!

GreatDaneRock

Tele-Afflicted
Very nice guitar, the Chopper t is a very versatile pickup. I had one installed on my Tele but needed a hotter one, so I ended up going with a GFS Lil puncher.

If anyone is interested in a Chopper T for cheap, good condition, please PM me..

GDR

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Tone knob is a series/parallel switch if I remember correctly. The bridge pickup is a Dimarzio Chopper T. A rail humbucker that matches up well with the Twang King neck pickup.

Very cool, sounds like a great setup overall.