NGD (kinda)

NightOwl

Tele-Holic
Hey everyone! I just finished my new build. This little thing is made from good old fashioned northern baseball bat ash and walnut. The walnut came from the family farm. My grandfather had it milled a minimum of thirty years ago. The ash is from a family friend's homeplace. The rest of the parts were cannibalized from my first build a few years ago. The body is chambered and still weighs 5lb 2oz. The neck is an Allparts ebony fingerboard with a 7 1/4" radius
WIN_20210701_183809.JPG
. The pickups are Filtertrons wired in the hot rod configuration, no tone caps or tone knob. It's just pickups, a switch and a volume.

I had an issue with neck pocket depth and eventually had to cut it to 11/16" to get everything to play nicely together. This is my first complete body build, binding job, string holes, jack hole and pretty much everything. I grain filled with Z-poxy and did the top layer with Tru-oil. I'd show everyone my grain matched control cavity cover, but it's not grain filled and installed yet. Be gentle with me!

NightOwl

Tele-Holic
Thanks guys. I actually got the templates from a guy on the fleabay that goes by gtrbuilder or something like that. Some of the drill sizes were not working and neck pocket depth, but very nice templates nonetheless. I'd recommend a set.

donrichfan

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
You should be proud, great looking build... bet the chambered body with Filtertrons sound great together.

NightOwl

Tele-Holic
You should be proud, great looking build... bet the chambered body with Filtertrons sound great together.
Thanks! So far, so good. Haven't plugged it into my big amp yet. Sounds pretty ok so far. It's about eight ounces heavier than the Warmoth body it replaced. Kinda surprised nobody has mentioned the Gretsch knob on it. The potentiometer and knob are from a 69 country gent.

NightOwl

Tele-Holic
Grain matched control cavity cover came out decent for a first try I think. Accidentally chambered it from the back so it needed a top and a back. The ash was a workbench for about fifty years.
WIN_20210702_184512.JPG
WIN_20210702_184537.JPG
WIN_20210702_184512.JPG
WIN_20210702_184537.JPG

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Very nice, especially since the guitar has a history to it. Be proud!