NGD...Keith style Tele custom!!

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by sonny wolf, Feb 17, 2020.

1. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

I wasn't in the market for a new Tele because I own several fine ones including some USA reissues.But I walked into Guitar center the other day and noticed this lovely Squier classic vibe 70s Telecaster custom in the used section but in brand new virgin condition with the plastic film on the pickguard and not a scratch.Someone bought this guitar but never played it and sold it to GC in brand new out of the box condition.I always loved the 1972 black Tele custom Keith Richards played throughout the 1970s and 1980s...I grew up watching that guitar in videos but never owned one.Squier just released this new model as part of their new Indonesian classic vibe series.I picked it up off the rack and despite the awful setup I immediately knew this was a good one.These sell for $450 brand new and was now selling for $309...quite a deal on a brand new condition one and a with the GC 45 day return policy I could bring her home and decide if I want to keep or return.Well needless to say this one is an absolute keeper.I set the action to my liking and raised the bridge pickup to match the output of the neck pickup.These pickups sound great...the bridge has a true Telecaster twang with great snarl...very punchy in the mix.The neck humbucker sounds great too with a lovely fat tone that still retains good clarity.I also like the middle position and the ability to dial in different tones with the volume controls notably dialing back the neck pickup volume to around 7 and bridge pickup on full...it sounds like a slightly fatter bridge pickup sound.The construction is fantastic and the weight is not too heavy at somewhere between 7.5-8LBS.The fretwork is great with no fretting out issues.If I were to be picky about anything I'd say I detect the slightest bit of fret sprout but it is barely noticeable especially when playing.It really amazes me the level of pro quality available on budget guitars nowadays...this Tele seriously performs as well as my more expensive USA ones.I just gigged her tonight and she really Rocked.The bridge pickup has the truly distinctive Tele voice and the neck humbucker is great for adding a bit more of a Gibson influence making this Tele a really versatile guitar.Sure it is not a perfect replica of a 1972 Tele custom...this one has a Poplar body,4 bolt neck,no bullet trussrod,full Poly finish,not a Cunife magnet humbucker ect.But who cares...it is one Hell of a great Telecaster that delivers a genuine Telecaster sound and performance.I think Keith would approve!!

87053235_282998832679595_2252253126008504320_n.jpg
    87060644_632592643968839_8446054450304385024_n.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice. Congratulations and happy playing.

sonny wolf likes this.
  3. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nice! Another Keef fan here and I've always wanted one. Enjoy!

televillian and sonny wolf like this.
  4. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

My first decent electric guitar in 1980 was an Antoria copy of a Custom Tele in Black/Black/Maple, just like yours. How I wish I'd never sold it!

Enjoy a great guitar!

sonny wolf likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Kewl!

sonny wolf likes this.
  6. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Cool!
    I remember playing some friend’s Squier back in the 90’s when in high school: these were already very playable and enjoyable budget guitars back then.

sonny wolf likes this.
  7. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

I saw the real one at a Stones exhibit several years ago in London. I believe the show was called Exhibitionism. I bowed before it.

sonny wolf likes this.
  8. richbike

richbike TDPRI Member

Very cool

Pretty much top of my wish list that one...hmmm 50 in April.
    But I also want a new bike. Decisions decisions.

sonny wolf likes this.
  9. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's

Congrats Sonny. I know you're a man who appreciates a good Tele.

I got my Squier CV50 a few years back because this serial returner at my GC missed the return date and left a belt gouge in the back.

They bought it back for about $50 bucks and grabbed it for 2 bills. Perfect condition other than the gouge. Sweet guitar too. Lots of real Fender vibe.

Happy gigging man.

sonny wolf likes this.
  10. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Nice one! I fetish Keef and will make myself a Micawber one day.

Will you tune it in open G?

11. sonny wolf

You know the correct answer!!

mimmo likes this.
  12. sonny wolf

No just standard 440.I have messed around with open G for fun at home and it sounds great in that Stones application but I don't use it for my style of playing.Also in the 1970s and 80s when Keith was using his black 72 Tele custom he kept it in 440 tuning...his butterscotch and sunburst Teles were his open G ones.

JK202 likes this.
  13. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome.
    Open E on that one.
    Congrats.

sonny wolf likes this.
  14. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

Nice, indamndeed, nice

15. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Custom's are way nice, one day I will get my vintage modified custom from my brother's hands! I really miss it...

Congrats, make her sing!

sonny wolf likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.