1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

[NGD] Just finished my "Twangblaster"

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by cdwillis, Jun 24, 2017.

1. cdwillis

cdwillis Tele-Meister

I've wanted a tele with a neck humbucker for a long time. It always seemed like a cool idea and I finally pulled the trigger and bought parts to put my own together.

It's an Allparts TMNF-Fat neck with the finish on the back sanded off then Tru Oil applied, no name vintage Kluson style tuners and a bone nut. Warmoth Tele alder body with a Minwax Golden Oak stain applied, then finished with a few thin coats of Minwax Wipe On Poly. Wilkinson licensed bridge with the three compensated brass saddles. The bridge pickup is a Cavalier Nocaster and the neck pickup is a Zhangbucker Telebucker 3. Standard three way switch with 250k volume and tone controls. I think I'm going to add a resistor so that the humbucker sees 500k and the bridge still sees 250k pot values. The neck is a little too warm, but with the pickups set at the current height they match in output.

Finished pic first:

IMG_4037.jpg

I had them route out the middle position for a humbucker in case I wanted to experiment with pickups later:

IMG_3943.jpg

After staining (it's still wet here):

IMG_3954.jpg

The neck is really comfortable despite being an inch thick:

IMG_3981.jpg

Slightly washed out pics of the finished front and back, hard to get a decent pic:

IMG_4008.jpg

IMG_4009.jpg

I accidentally ordered a three hole Brent Mason style control plate. I thought about using a two volume one tone setup, but my full size CTS pots wouldn't fit next to each other on the plate. So I plan on putting a standard two hole plate on, switching to chrome flat top knobs, getting a black 50s style top hat switch tip (the strat switch tip I had wouldn't fit), and putting a chrome cover on the humbucker for aesthetics.

IMG_4038.jpg

kleydejong and AAT65 like this.
  2. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Looks good!
    What value did you use for the volume pot?

3. cdwillis

cdwillis Tele-Meister

I used 250k pots for both volume and tone with a .047 cap for the tone. I have a 500k CTS pot in my parts drawer that I might try out. Thing is the bridge pickup sounds amazing with this setup, so I'm hesitant to mess with it.

4. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Cool stuff. That Golden Oak minwax bought out some nice features in the wood. Good job.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.