1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD - Johnny Marr Jag inbound!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by moosie, Dec 24, 2018.

1. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Wow. I really love that color on a Jag or a JM. Congrats!

moosie likes this.
  2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The guitar arrived today! It wasn't that cold, so I just opened it right up, no worries.

I bought this from a B&M retailer in Colorado. I'm cautious when places like that call something 'new'. So, I half-expected a bit of shop wear, but no. This thing is brand spanking new. Not a mark on it, and all protectors still in place. It arrived tuned to pitch - really very close. I usually toss the strings and set it up when it arrives, but the setup was nearly perfect. A bit more relief than I like, but the action is good, and the strings ring clear. The strings are a bit oxidized, so I'll probably set it up in a couple days. But for now, it plays fine.

The hard case is typical of the AV and CS models. It's a very tasteful salt-pepper black-gray Tolex, over plywood, with real leather trim. The guitar comes with a COA, which I didn't expect. Maybe they always do this with artist models? But oddly nowhere does it say "Johnny Marr". Just a long model number.

8.3 lbs total weight, including trem arm :)

The arm is pop in, ala Staytrem, and it stays put.

A friend told me the earlier JM Jags were 56 mm bridge string spacing, not the more desirable 52 mm of the Staytrem. Oddly mine is in between, around 54 mm. The strings don't lay perfectly over the poles of the neck pickup - poles are wider, esp to the treble side. The strings do lay well on the neck, though. No falling off like vintage style Fenders often do.

Frets: vintage, like the old AVRI: .084 x .040. By comparison, the frets on my AV64 are same width, but 8 thousandths taller.

Lovely thick, dark slab rosewood board with 'clay' dots, that I'm pretty sure are just nice looking plastic.

Surprisingly for the other build specs, the nut is not bone. 'Synthetic'. Meh. I'll leave it for now but will likely cut a nice bone nut later. I prefer the look.

The neck is a full round C, bigger than modern C necks, and even bigger than my AV64. It feels great. It's finished in glossy nitro, which is not a problem for me. However, I did hear that the backs of these necks are satin. Not the case here. Back of headstock is clean, front has Johnny's sig.

It sounded great through my drip Twin, though I wasn't able to turn it up this afternoon. The bright switches are very subtle. I can't tell which way is brighter, without trying it back and forth a few times. Hmm, maybe too subtle for me? I thought it might sound ridiculously bright, but it doesn't. First impression, I'm slightly disappointed the tone isn't brighter - I can always darken it.

It's often this way when I first get a guitar, that I need time to settle with it. It's one reason I don't bother playing in stores first.

Obligatory pics:

20181231_175205.jpg

20181231_155419.jpg 20181231_155440.jpg 20181231_155521.jpg 20181231_155545.jpg 20181231_155614.jpg 20181231_155806.jpg 20181231_174314.jpg

3. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

You'll want to explore this yourself and have a lot of Jaguar enthusiasts here to check with, but FWIW from this one sort of hybrid tele-jaguar player: I think the bright switches are misnamed just like the brilliance switch on an old Vox. Aren't they really bass-cut switches like a traditional Jaguar? I'm not sure what passive circuitry can actually boost treble above whatever you get with the Volume and Tone chosen (1M) and all the way up. Also, I run a USA Fender Jaguar bridge pickup as my neck pickup:confused:, and I have it set so low that you can see all 4 plys of pick guard in the cutouts. Yours are high enough that the pickup cover is flush w/ the pick guard. Maybe the EQ will change as you try other pickup heights.

That guitar is beautiful! Looking forward to reading more of your impressions as you play it. Cheers

4. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I'd say these are the best Jags Fender has produced since the original run ended in '75.

5. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats! Handle with care as the paint dings easily, but <oh my!> they do sound good.

El Tele Lobo and moosie like this.
  6. Mekhem

Mekhem Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

RE: The bridge: Its a statrem base but the saddles are standard Fender mustang saddles which explains the the string variance. The Actual staytrem bridge has the staytrem saddles which bring the spring spacing down to 52 mm. So just a note if you find the spring spacing to be an issue.

Congrats on the successful delivery!

El Tele Lobo and moosie like this.
  7. moosie

Yes, the so-called bright circuits are absolutely just simple bass cuts, nothing more. No way to add anything in a passive system. But I don't even hear it cutting bass. Could be me having a weird brain day.

You mean the ears of the pickup covers are below the guard? You don't mean the top of the covers, right? That's like 3/8".

But yeah, it did occur to me the pickups seemed high, but with zero Jag experience, I thought maybe it was set there on purpose. Time to experiment.

El Tele Lobo and Snfoilhat like this.
  8. moosie

I have a few AVs - tell me about fragile paint. I won't cry too long... ;)

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. moosie

Do you know if the Mustang spacing has changed? You explained the 52mm to 5x, but a friend has a fairly early one of these, and he measures 56mm, where I get 54. Just seems so random...

10. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

Congrats! These have the best necks I've ever played. I've had mine for a couple of years now and the paint seems to have settled and doesn't chip or ding as easily as it used to.

moosie likes this.
  11. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I've never played one, but I have a feeling I would love one of these, esp. with the thicker neck. Wish I could happen upon a deal on a Sherwood Green one (best color so far, IMHO, followed by LPB). I used to listen to the Smith's a lot, but I'm digging Johnny's solo stuff now too. "Hi, Hello" is incredible.

Chuckster and moosie like this.
  12. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice. I would recommend investing in a nice Hercules hanging stand, which suspends it by the headstock rather than balancing it by the body. That color is quite beautiful. You really have a find there, Moosie. Jealous for your Johnny Jag...have to admit...

moosie likes this.
  13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Top stuff - she's a beauty!

moosie likes this.
  14. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

One of my only gas causing guitars. I have two excellent jags and really like the way they sound, the short scale playability, even the switching options. But I think Marr sig is really the best production jag that's out there right now. HNGD!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    BorderRadio, moosie and El Tele Lobo like this.
  15. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That is a stunner... congrats!

moosie likes this.
  16. moosie

Most of my stands are Hercs, but not the neck-lock kind. I hate that thing. I play seated, and have limited energy. It's difficult for me to basically straight-arm the guitar up three inches to free it, from a sitting position. Especially when I'm working on something and putting it in and out of the stand repeatedly. Also, the darn thing pinched my hand more than once. I have one like that, and it lives in the closet, folded up.

I use the GS405B. The guitar may lean, but it's not going anywhere:

gs405b_1.jpg

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  17. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I'm curious ... how do you like the sound of it?

I've never played a jag plugged in and am curious if it really sounds like castrated strat as some claim :D

moosie likes this.
  18. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Tele-Meister

Congratulations!

I had one just like it. It is a great guitar but I just couldn't get along with the 24" scale length.

I am thinking of putting a Jaguar partscaster together with the same wiring as the MarrGuar, but with a 24 3/4 or a 25", or a 25.5" scale length. A Jag like that would be my perfect recording guitar most likely. The only concession would be giving up the classic jazz circuit, which I actually like as it is great for fuzz tones...but I would like the two pickups in series (giant humbucker setting) like the Marr does too, with the bass cut switch included. I'd take the stock dark Jazz circuit and the Marr wiring if I could... I want it alll! Now that would be an awesome recording guitar for me.

moosie, El Tele Lobo and Chuckster like this.
  19. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Awesome man. That's a thing of beauty.

20. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hiya!

Don't think anyone has posted this yet. Sorry if someone already has.

Anyway, thought some might find it interesting.

Pax/
    Dean

moosie and El Tele Lobo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.