NGD J-45

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
There’s something about a J-45 and I’ve had one or a J-50 around now for a very long time. I have a Gibson AJRI to go with it and that sucker is one powerful and sweet singing guitar, but boy do I love my J-45. It likely gets more play time overall.

Enjoy that puppy!

willie ray

Tele-Meister
I've played lots of acoustics over the years{never played a Martin though}
I have a couple of other Gibsons but nothing comes close to
this J45 True Vintage,my burning building guitar.
Enjoy yours.
027.JPG

Dana Rudd

Tele-Afflicted
Congrats to your buddies for purchasing such a fine guitar.
You must be doing something right to deserve a gift like that.
Enjoy and HNGD.

bowman

Friend of Leo's
Congrats. I was playing my J45 last night(mine’s a Sixties J45) There’s just something about them - it’s been described many times in threads like this, but it’s true. The more you play it, the more you like it. They have a big, rich tone that’s good for everything and balanced just right. I’ve had mine about 5 years or so, love it more every time I play it.
Mine:
7F6D151F-76DD-4093-9973-0C137E829286.jpeg

zombywoof

Friend of Leo's
Discussions about sound tend to be more about us. It is like we can get imprinted by a sound with a force that we cannot shake. I, as example, have a thing for J45s built in the 1940s and the second half of the 1950s. But that is probably because my two favorite slope shoulder jumbos were built in 1942 and 1956. I just carry the sound of those two guitars around with me. It would be cool though if somebody who has experience with both scalloped and un-scalloped 1950s J45s and has spent some quality time with a 50s Original chimed in.

playforfun

Tele-Afflicted
Congrats. I was playing my J45 last night(mine’s a Sixties J45) There’s just something about them - it’s been described many times in threads like this, but it’s true. The more you play it, the more you like it. They have a big, rich tone that’s good for everything and balanced just right. I’ve had mine about 5 years or so, love it more every time I play it.
Mine:
View attachment 1046828
The only one I’ve ever played besides this new one was a 65. Loved it tried everything I could to get it. It’s hard to justify spending the money glad my buddies made that decision for me. This is the easiest acoustic guitar I’ve ever played and like it more every time I pick it up. Last nights rehearsal was a blast.

zombywoof

Friend of Leo's
The one guitar I am still kicking myself in the butt for not jumping on when I had the chance was one of that 2013 short run produced as part of the "Kalamazoo Gals" project. These were copied from originals loaned to Bozeman by the author of the book.

The rise of the "boutique" builders though has thrown a whole new wrinkle into the game. You have Walker, Kopp and Triggs who worked in the Gibson Custom Shop in the early-1990s as well as Fairbanks, Flammang and others. No argument though you will have to dig deeper in your pocket for them. I tend to be a fan of Dale Fairbanks who has given us such gems as a Kal Gal SJ (copied from a 1944 SJ also loaned to him by the author of the book). In my opinion though Dale is one of the best out there when it comes to nailing Old School Gibson Tone.

For the more budget minded though seeking something with an under $3K price tag you also have the likes of Iris which is a collaborative effort between Dale and Adam Boucher of Circle Strings or Crooked Star which are a no-frills version of the New Era guitars built by Tony Klassen.

playforfun

Tele-Afflicted
Discussions about sound tend to be more about us. It is like we can get imprinted by a sound with a force that we cannot shake. I, as example, have a thing for J45s built in the 1940s and the second half of the 1950s. But that is probably because my two favorite slope shoulder jumbos were built in 1942 and 1956. I just carry the sound of those two guitars around with me. It would be cool though if somebody who has experience with both scalloped and un-scalloped 1950s J45s and has spent some quality time with a 50s Original chimed in.
Well as luck would have it I was lucky enough to get a 1959 J-50. I’ve been trying to compare the 2 and what amazes me is how close the vintage 50 J45 feels and plays like the 59 J50. The 59 has the sound so does the new J45 however the 59 is more open sounding. Both are fantastic and aren’t going anywhere. I will probably gig the 45 and leave the J50 as a couch maybe recording guitar. Gibson did a fine job of recreating a guitar that feels and plays like they did in the 50”s.