NGD Incoming. Stalked This One For Years. G&L Nitro ASAT Classic Bluesboy.

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by EsquireOK, Sep 20, 2020.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Pix first, then the TL/DR part, so you can skip the nonsense contained within if you want.

kbdfyl6nmpq2pledtpzv.jpg

adx1fenlbx6rdoajp2so.jpg

yjnecnipomsm020cvzlr.jpg

Very excited to have finally seen one of these come around again.

I purchased one some years ago, but it turns out the dealer had mistakenly left the listing up online, and it was not actually in stock. I was really bummed out. They are so rare and so beautiful, and I have the matching 3TSB Legacy from the same nitro run. I have only seen two for sale, and none since then. Most of the limited nitro runs were made in very small batches per color – some as low as three per color, from what I've been able to dig up on them.

Since then, it has been one of my holy grails. It was really a long shot, hen's tooth sort of thing. But I've been waiting to pounce, searching routinely for the G&L limited nitro non-Rustic runs from 2016. Closest thing was a maple boarded butterscotch version of the Bluesboy, brand new. BSB/maple is not my cup of tea, and at $1,650, more than I wanted to spend. I really wanted the gorgeous 3TSB version with rosewood, for a typical used market price of $1,000 to $1,200, which I got the Legacy for.

Finally got a Reverb.com search hit the other day. I was blown away that it actually happened. I wonder if this is THE one that I tried to buy a few years ago; I wouldn't be surprised if it is. Sadly, the originality has been monkeyed with. Original tuners, guard, strap buttons, and pickups are gone. One of the retrofitted Sperzels was installed crooked. The price was fair used market value for an excellent condition one with all original specs, but a few hundred high for one with original parts missing. I calculated that I would need to spend around $250 to restore the guitar to as-stock condition.

It was advertised with Lace Sensor Split Blade pickups, which really turned me off. I don't like Lace pickups, and they're not necessarily hot items on the used market. I tried to negotiate a reduced price over the past few days. I wanted 20 percent off for the reduction in market value due to the unfavorable mods. He gave me 11 percent and no more. To that, I said, would you be willing to keep the aftermarket pickups and tuners so you can sell them off, then meet my price? I also would have bit at 15 percent off.

It was past business hours on a Saturday, so I would have to wait at least a day for a response to that proposition...but I knew he would reject it. I hemmed and hawed for a day, and even after all the searching, I decided not to go for it on G.P. I do a LOT of business at this shop, and have given them highly favorable trade in deals before, when I didn't have to, just because I like them and was feeling generous toward them. I felt that an extra hundred bucks off was something they could have easily just granted me as a good repeat customer. But I knew they wouldn't, because they had probably overpaid for the trade in – forgetting to devalue it due to the mods. They don't take a holistic/big-picture view when it comes to price on trade-ins. They rigidly demand a certain percentage above what they paid for that specific guitar...and if they overpaid...oh well. Then so does the buyer.

But then I realized something, and I quickly came back to him to seal the deal this morning.

What I realized is that there is no such thing as Lace Sensor Split Blades. It is actually loaded with Fralin Split Blades, which are a $250 [new] pickup set. I easily can sell them off for a hefty amount, to help fund the restoration to original specs...or just put them in something else, because they're good pickups.

To restore, I'll need an as-original parchment guard, instead of this stark white one that's on there. Also need some as-original G&L logo tuners, and I'll put these Sperzels on something else. ASAT MFD bridge pickup, and the original G&L humbucker model (A2S4248N Alnico 2). Flip the controls 180 degrees back to original. G&L strap buttons. [Nearly] good as new.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  2. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

As long as your happy buckaroo, thats all that matters. Congrats and enjoy!

Cali Dude likes this.
  3. EsquireOK

I am fine with the way it all worked out. I just had zero use for Lace pickups, and they are not the easiest to sell off. Them being Fralin gives me way more options.

Cali Dude likes this.
  4. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Congrats! Though I would surely try it out first as is, the mods look pretty sweet to me

5. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

That’s a nice guitar. Years ago I was in Elderly and talked to another customer like I often do. He was looking for the same model and was in there because they had one that was close, but not what he wanted. He was very keen on that specific guitar. Congrats for finding one.

6. EsquireOK

I have no problem with those pickups and tuners in and of themselves, but I really wanted the stock orientation for tonal and visual reasons. The A2 neck bucker looks beautiful with the 3TSB finish, and I didn't have any Tele-style guitars with neck humbuckers (until recently). And I love the MFD ASAT pickup in the bridge. Not to mention that this is a very limited run, and I like to keep very rare, possibly collectible, axes as stock.

The aftermarket parts will certainly stay in place until I have everything I need to restore it, though. That way I can just do everything in a day and be done with it.

As far as the rarity of this guitar in this color, I have not confirmed it with G&L. But I have a feeling it could be one of three. I kept a sharp eye out when these were originally released, and I only ever found two for sale on the retail market.

The limited nitro runs were test runs for the upcoming "clean" nitro finishes that were to be offered in the at-the-time-upcoming Custom Shop. The production numbers for each variant are very low. I now have three of them. This one, the 3TSB Legacy with rosewood board (also available in Fullerton Red, Shell Pink, and Sonic Blue), and the clear Orange ASAT Classic with maple board. They are fantastic instruments IME. Others I'd like to pick up some day are the vintage white S-500 and the vintage white SB-2.

As you can probably tell, I'm a bit of a G&L collector. I also have some recent rare models, like a black Legacy Rustic (another one I've only ever seen two of on the retail market; almost all of them were Lake Placid Blue or blonde). I also have a prototype model Legacy that is all pine except for the rosewood board. And an '83 SB-1 bass and a '96 L-2000 bass. The launch edition Fallout Bass. Have some cool Tributes as well. A very early release Ascari GTS (G&L's first-ever set neck), and an early Cantrell model, which is an absolutely outstanding guitar, built as well as a U.S.A. model (before the Tributes started going downhill).

Cali Dude likes this.
  7. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nice one. The Fralins ain't a bad deal. I'm with you on the pickguard, though.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah!

9. TheOtherNeill

TheOtherNeill TDPRI Member

I was surprised to read "Bluesboy" and see rail pups, but that looks gorgeous, and those Fralins will certainly help with restoration, if you go that route. Congratulations.

10. EsquireOK

Wide beveled tort would also look great, but the parchment will look fantastic, and it is what the guitar originally came with.

11. EsquireOK

Just ordered the replacement parts for it, except for the neck pickup, which is not sold by G&L. I will use my Seth Lover neck pickup for now. ASAT Bluesboys used to come with those anyhow, before G&L started using their own humbuckers. (I do need to buy a nickel cover for the Seth, though.) Eventually I'll get one of the original G&L models, and maybe just keep it in the case, for if I ever decide to sell.

TheOtherNeill likes this.
  12. EsquireOK

FWIW, here is the one I purchased previously that was actually out of stock. It is not the same guitar. Found it in my Reverb purchase history. It was Aug. 20, 2018 that I made that purchase. This is what this model originally looked like, and what it will look like again when I'm done restoring it.

The one I ended up with is actually a prettier guitar than this one. Nicer grain, and a much better looking burst. The black layer on the one I tried to buy in 2018 is a lot thicker. It's really nowhere near as attractive, now that I'm looking at it. Good tings come ta dem what waits, I guess!

patd7uwfqeuo95tqvkpb-2.jpg

sj0qjjekcmj6ufnwm2os.jpg

brookdalebill likes this.
  13. EsquireOK

This arrived yesterday. The restoration parts arrived from G&L today. Tuners, guard, strap buttons, bridge pickup. Gonna use my double cream Seth Lover for the neck pickup for now (though I have a nickel cover on the way). Will purchase the original G&L humbucker model eventually, even if it's just to keep it in the case. Better to procure it now while it is still available from G&L, than to try to track one down in 20 or 30 years if I sell the guitar then.

Nice guitar, in very good condition.

Still amazes me that in this day and age, someone bothers to specifically track down and purchase a lacquer finished guitar...then proceeds to hang it on a stand or hanger that eats lacquer. Luckily the damage is only surface deep.

Turns out the original strap buttons were included in the case. Would have been nice to have known that before. It would have saved me 15 bucks on my G&L order. Oh well. They are nice buttons, and I can use them on something else.

These Fralin pickups have a certain appeal, for sure...but in the end they are too hot for me. Definitely selling them off, as opposed to earmarking them for another project. They sound like P90s, but with more of everything, especially top end. They hit way too hard for me; too much sonic confusion going on in the low end, and too touch sensitive. I can get some really nice tones out of them, but their range is quite narrow. If I played 50 or 100 W amps all the time, and I lowered them a bit, they'd probably be fine. They're the versions with the really curvy radius, but I'm not sure which output level they are. Fralin sells them in four different outputs. By ear, these must be on the upper end of the range, though. Either hot or ultra hot. The retailer listed the DCRs as 4.8 K and 6.2 K. With those numbers, and hearing how they sound, I am thinking that the coils must be wired in parallel, and they're powered by ceramic magnets.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.