NGD-Ibanez Prestige Talman

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
A couple of years ago I bought my first Prestige Talman, an 1803 model (Nashville Tele pickup configuration). It quickly became my favorite guitar (after yanking the Duncan Alnico Pro pickups and dropping in a set of Lollar Special Ts).

Scanning through the Guitar Center website the other day, I discovered that the GC where I bought that one still had the Strat version in stock, and off I went.

As far as playability, it is identical to the first one (same body, same neck), but with a trem bridge and a set of Duncan Alnico Five-Two pickups. This one checks all of my boxes for what I was looking for, the only modification will be Schaller strap buttons (which are on all of my guitars).

IMG_1608.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

The shielding on these guitars is excellent, both are true single coil guitars, but both are dead quiet-even with higher gain stuff. Love it. The necks are a C shape, nothing like a typical thin shredder Ibanez neck, but with a 12" radius that makes them still pretty easy to move around quickly on. As an added bonus, the trem actually stays in tune really well for most normal wiggling. Divebombing doesn't work so well, but that's not what this guitar is all about. I've spent most of the afternoon playing surf music. :D

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Do they sound very different from each other?

Yes, as different as a Strat and Tele typically are from each other. The Lollars (in the black pickguard) are higher output as well, so it has a much fatter sound on top of that.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
My RC430 has dummy coils between the single coils to cancel hum. Your Talman may be so quiet for the same reason.

tonyp145

Tele-Holic
I used to have one of the original Talman Strats in the 90s -- maple neck and 3 lipstick tube pickups. Boy was that sucker twangy! It's a shame I don't play country, it would have been perfect. Periodically I go looking for one on eBay, etc. Definitely a guitar I wish I had never sold. Enjoy yours.

tonyp145

Tele-Holic
Oh and PS I would face quite the grilling from the missus if I had invested in two such similar guitars. I mean I understand the difference of course, but explaining it to her? Hoo boy! :rolleyes:

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
My RC430 has dummy coils between the single coils to cancel hum. Your Talman may be so quiet for the same reason.

There aren't any in these guitars, they're just both shielded very thoroughly. I was actually surprised when I got the first one, it was dead quiet even with a lot of gain in the amp. It's those little details that suck a guy in, though...