1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD: Ibanez Gio, a bargain bin bad boy

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by naveed211, Dec 2, 2020.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

B2548801-4F38-4EEA-B291-B287A6F6AAD1.jpeg

Got this used for $100 all in from the local GC. Not sure of the year. But I’ve been looking for a budget guitar that is actually worth playing as I’m back in a “funds going to debt/family stuff” phase of life.

Plays really nice actually, that’s what drew me to it immediately. Fret ends could use a bit of filing, but nowhere near the hand slicers that GC has for like 90 percent of their new guitars. Intonation is solid. Stays in tune about as well as my CV did, which was pretty decent. Action is perfect with no buzzing. Really better than I could say for a number of guitars I’ve had which were much more expensive.

I do plan to swap the pickups. The stock ones are passable, generic and bland but decent for a high gain sound or an 80s flat clean sound. Thinking my usual go to of a Duncan 59 and Alnico 2 Pro, but also considering sticking with higher output pickups. Not as well versed in those though I’ve had a few, so if you have any suggestions I’d welcome them. I play everything from alternative, to hard rock, to alt-country, classic rock, ambient/shoegaze, punk, etc., so some versatility is welcome.

2. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Good Price. You might try some of the Bootstrap selections. I've used the P90s and they can take care of business.

naveed211 likes this.
  3. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah I’ve had them in mind a few times for past guitars with all the good press they’ve gotten around here. Maybe this is the time to give them a try.

preactor likes this.
  4. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

ED9F15D3-FDAC-4E93-8971-A19BEA5A443E.jpeg

Oh man, the customization has begun!

I forgot I had these wood knobs lying around from a project that never got off the ground like ten years ago. Been thinking of ways to gussy this guy up a bit and make it my own. Thinking cream pickups are next.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.