NGD - Ibanez AG95 full hollow body H/H ...Bubinga!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by SecretSquirrel, Jan 25, 2018.

1. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My quest for a hollow-body jazz-type guitar is chronicled in this thread:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/shopping-for-a-hollow-semi-hollow-electric-any-tips-advice.796441/

...and after some education and research I ended up buying a new (2017) Ibanez AG95 online and it arrived today! The body is made of bubinga wood, and a nice specimen if I say so myself—beautiful dark, swirly grain figures; I love it. :)

The neck (mahogany & maple, with rosewood fretboard) had excessive relief, an obvious bow, possibly from environmental changes traveling across the country from the Northeast. It was merely playable, and before long I tightened the truss rod and tweaked the action. Truss rod works, it's playing great now and the neck has a very 'positive' feel to it, solid and smooth. It's very interesting—my fingers were doing new things. I wanted to keep playing but it's been a long day and I'm beat.

I must say I'm not the least bit disappointed (and I was prepared to be), this is a truly great guitar, very pretty too, and I love its dusky tones.

The pickups are "Super 58's" for what that's worth; I guess they are a cut above the humbuckers on the 70 series etc. In any event, they sound great, the neck position really is the kind of sound I was after for this guitar, and the bridge HB has a nice, unexpected bite to it that sounds fantastic for rockabilly-type rockin'.

The body is slightly smaller than big 'jazzboxes' which makes it comfortable, I like it. The guitar is really light weight, of course, another thing that makes me glad I'm old. ;)

The AG95 is quite unlike any of the other seven electrics I own (and play)—all solid bodies (including another Ibanez). I haven't owned a hollow body since the '80s, and this totally fills that void. It came with the same D'addario .010's I use on everything else, they're still in okay condition so I haven't changed them yet. In a few days I'll change strings (should I try .011's??) and oil the fretboard, the rosewood looks dry.

No hardshell case; I'll get one. For now it looks good on a stand:

AG95 IBANEZ 2017 - 01.jpg

AG95 IBANEZ 2017 - 03.jpg

AG95 IBANEZ 2017 - 06.jpg

I think the Ibanez headstock angle is 10 degrees — way less than Gibson's 17º (right?) and Epiphone's 14º — not so likely to break.

AG95 IBANEZ 2017 - 07.jpg

AG95 IBANEZ 2017 - 08.jpg

AG95 IBANEZ 2017 - 04.jpg

AG95 IBANEZ 2017 - 05.jpg

AG95 IBANEZ 2017 - 09.jpg

AG95 IBANEZ 2017 - 10.jpg

In the words of the Guitar Center sales girl, excuse me, sales associate, mentioned in my "Shopping" thread — I can totally, totally recommend this guitar, totally. It's totally awesome. :cool:

2. SecretSquirrel

oops, I guess that sticker on the back of the headstock has to go...
    :p

3. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Very nice! I really love that wood/finish. Rather unique.

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  4. Telemarx

Telemarx Tele-Meister

Congrats, she's beautiful!

5. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

Congratulations! My search for a full hollow-body recently concluded in an Eastman AR371CE2, but yours looks just as handsome

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!

7. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

Totally awesome indeed! Try some flat-wounds, maybe?

D.H.

televillian and SecretSquirrel like this.
  8. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Fantastic!

9. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

Very nice - congratulations!

10. SecretSquirrel

Thanks everyone for the nice words, glad y'all like it, I know I do! So far so good.

I'll spend most of today playing 'everything I know' — I always like to do that with any new (to me) guitar, I discover new things and it's a good way to really test out a guitar.

Yes, I should try flat-wounds for sure. In the past I didn't care for their feel, but might be just the thing for this guitar. Thanks!

11. SecretSquirrel

I should note, this guitar is staying in tune remarkably well. That is, it's staying in tune, period.

I was concerned about tuning issues with the diverging string paths on the headstock, and considered one of those "string butlers." But no problems so far.

12. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Congrats, she's a beauty!! I always have wanted that model (I have the larger AFJ95). The smaller body is just so much more comfortable. And I would definitely put on flatwounds; I love the smooth feel and the absence of squeaks.

13. SecretSquirrel

Thanks! And another vote for flatwounds. I guess D'Addarios will do? Or is some other brand preferred for flatwounds?

14. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Congrats, She's a real beauty.

15. The Blood

The Blood Tele-Meister

I was one of the guys on the other thread that urged you to get an Ibanez and you’re welcome.

Flat wounds are great for jazz tone but forget about bending strings

16. SecretSquirrel

Good advice well taken. :)

I've had good luck with Ibanez, owning two others.

For 25 years my main guitar was a 1979 Artist model something-something, really a well made and great sounding solid body, a classic I had to sell at one point.

I still have a 1994 Talman with miniHB/lipstick/miniHB, which I always liked, but putting bigger strings on it (0.10s instead of 0.09s) has transformed it into a great guitar; I'm still in the process of rediscovering it.

Point all being, Ibanez has pretty consistent quality (YMMV of course) and this third specimen is tops as well.

Ah! I hadn't thought about that, thanks. I'd miss bending but I owe it to myself to try flat-wounds.

17. televillian

televillian Tele-Holic

nice, he said, with a bit of jealousy in his voice

18. SecretSquirrel

Aw, thanks, now I know I really got something! :D But seriously, if you shop carefully there are bargains out there. This model is $799 MSRP, this one's hang tag store price was $649, online price $579 (last year's floor model) plus shipping, and I got it for a hundred less. So I think I got a bargain, and thanks to the advice here, I feel like I got the most guitar I could for my budget.

19. SecretSquirrel

I learned from the specs that the strings are a set of D'Addario EXL140:

10-13-17-30-42-52

...not my usual 10-46 (EXL110).

So I went online shopping for D'Addario flatwounds in a similar gauge, and from the available sets, I chose the ECG24 set, with a wound third:

11-15-22w-30-40-50

Oh, and I see that flatwounds cost 2-3X more than my usual roundwounds...wonderful. :cry:

I think I'd like (just imagining): 11-15-18p-30-42-52 ...but I didn't find that in flatwound from D'Addario. I think ECG24 will be fine, I can't be bothered to assemble a custom set, and the wound third is probably for the best on this "jazzer."

Any thoughts on the ECG24 11-52 set? I'm open to suggestions of other gauges and brands before I buy in bulk.

savofenno likes this.
  20. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

Holy pipe tobacco batman, that joker is smokin'!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.