1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD - Ibanez AFJ95

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by rdwhitti, Jun 16, 2016.

1. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

Well I went and bought a hollow body jazz box today. I have only been taking guitar lessons since October of last year but am serious about jazz, at least as serious as I can be at my age (63); I don't ever expect to be all that good but I am only competing against myself. I had bought a Fender Deluxe Reverb a while back and got an eCertificate from GC for $210 and went shopping today. I had previously compared the Ibanez AF75, Epiphone Joe Pass, Epiphone Swingster, and a few others; the Joe Pass was my favorite of the bunch. Today I went back and added the AFJ95 to my list. Although I was prepared not to like it as much as the Joe Pass, something about it just spoke to me. It may have been largely due to the flat wound strings which it had and that I had never tried before, but it just felt better to me, and more solidly built. GC was having another one of their $10 eCertificate for every $50 spent so I got the AFJ95 and a case to protect it. The extra size is going to take some getting used to (I am used to an Epiphone ES 339 and a Strat) but I am sure it will get comfortable with time. It has a beautiful rich tone, much more acoustic sounding than the 339. I doubt that I will ever use the bridge pickup but they didn't have an AFJ91, and it may come in handy someday anyway.

Attached Files:

6stringcowboy and songtalk like this.
  2. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I have the same guitar in violin burst, an AFJ95 from 2013. The construction of this guitar is solid. The Super 58 pickups are some of the better humbuckers I've heard. The things that make this guitar so nice are the rosewood bridge and the flatwound strings. They seem to add to sound of the full hollowbody, which can be used acoustically.

I played the Joe Pass Epiphone and while I liked it, I just wasn't ready for that style guitar, at the time. But I think this guitar sounds better in comparison of these hollowbodies. You got a gr8 guitar!

3. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic

What do you mean by this? I admit that I am new to this style of guitar but they appeared to be clones, almost exactly alike in most all respects. I just liked the Ibanez better.

4. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I wasn't ready for the Joe Pass Epi model because at that time I was doing more R&B and Chicago blues, so it wouldn't fit in my group of guitars. I now want to play a hollowbody with a wooden bridge and the AFJ95 really fills the bill. I think the Ibanez is of the highest quality. It sounds better than the Epi.

5. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

They're great guitars. I miss my Ibanez af75d.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.