1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NGD Ibanez AFJ91

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by rhythmjones, Apr 8, 2016.

1. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

I've been looking at adding some sort of jazzbox/hollowbody to my arsenal for a while. Even though I love the jazz tone my Tele gives, I wanted a more traditional archtop sound.

I began by looking for lawsuit Gibson copies. But vintage guitars can have problems and the prices for lawsuit guitars were a bit rich for my tastes anyway. I maybe could justify that kind of bread for a rock guitar, but since I don't perform Jazz outside of the home (yet!) it's just too much.

Then I thought, what about an archtop acoustic? I could to electric on the Tele and do Freddie Green type stuff on the acoustic. But the new archtops on the market are either too expensive or not inspiring. I like the Godin but it was just a bit more than I wanted to spend. The The Loar just doesn't do it for me. I considered some vintage Kay/Harmony/Silvertone stuff, but they all need neck resets and again, I don't want to deal with vintage problems. not on this kind of guitar. Plus, I kept thinking about putting a pickup on them. So I really do want a guitar with a pickup.

At work I tried out an Epiphone Es-225 premium and an AF95RW. But neither hit my buttons.

Well, one day I noticed that the Guitar Center in my town had an unusually robust selection of jazzbox and hollowbodies. They had a bunch of Ibanezes, an Eastwood Doral, the Epiphone Es-175 premium. And a few others. It was the AFJ95 that really did it for me. Nice, loud acoustic projection. And a sweet plugged in tone.

Normally I don't like Ibanezes. I mean, they're really well built and are great values. But their aesthetics don't always match my tastes. And their thick polyester is so plasticky and cheap feeling. Even on their expensive models. But this had a nice soft satin, that feels nicer than the usual Ibanez finish.

Because of where I work, we can get Ibanezes for stupid cheap. I decided to order the AFJ91 becuase it only has the one pickup, no switch and knobs on the pickguard. So the top is only interrupted by the one pickup route.

It arrived today and it is a stupidly gorgeous guitar. The amberburst finish looks kind of cheesy on the online stock photos. But it is a nice rich color IRL. And the tone is just as good as the AFJ95 I played the store. Setup was perfect out of the box.

My only complaint is that the board is a little light, but that is a nit-pick. This guitar is worth every penny of the list price, and I got it for less than dealer cost. Pretty sweet.

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

Congrats! Like you, I've been looking for something different and these caught my eye. Very pretty. They also come in a blue burst which I can't decide if it is attractive or not.
    How do you like it acoustically?

3. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Beautiful guitar!

4. rhythmjones

rhythmjones Tele-Holic

It is nice acoustic projection. Definitely one of the reasons I chose this guitar.

5. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Beautiful. Congrats!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.